What's new

Range dilemma

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not wireless associations. Router sessions / connections

??? say, streaming VoIP or video is connectionless. Most use a variant of UDP/RTSP. Unlike TCP, these are connectionless.

Perhaps this: They should rate consumer routers on: Packets per second on the WAN port, for some WAN capacity (test lab, say, 10Mbps constant). The packets/sec (pps) achieve show how fast the router's CPU is, and how much overhead it has.

Now this could be varied by whether QoS is on for some/all flows, on certain protocols or LAN ports, etc.

Last edited:
More questions on my range dilemma

Stevech, you said, "the client and router must be at the same data rate in 802.11a/b/g and most 11n. Therefore, the client's transmitter power is the constraint, i.e., the "weakest link"." Does this mean that it would be a waste of money to implement a higher powered router or a high-gain antenna without also upgrading the client adapter or antenna?

I admit to being somewhat confused here. This whole area is new to me, and I'm struggling to learn about the most cost-effective ways to extend wi-fi range. My current understanding is that 802.11n routers really don't have more range than 802.11g units, so it seems that (not being able to run cable for a 2nd AP) my best alternative is high-gain antennas. But I'm not sure one on the router only would help; maybe I'd need something on the client end too?

Hope someone can point me to some relevant articles &/or products. Grateful for any advice.

Bob

I have two 4 dbi antennas left after WHR-PCI-G54 routers (both routers are dead). May I use them with ESR9850 instead its 2dbi antenna and get some range increasing?

Assuming the connectors are compatible, sure. But don't expect much in the way of range increase. You need at least 6 dB of additional gain to make a significant difference. (Standard antennas are rated at 2 dBi.)

Stevech, you said, "the client and router must be at the same data rate in 802.11a/b/g and most 11n. Therefore, the client's transmitter power is the constraint, i.e., the "weakest link"." Does this mean that it would be a waste of money to implement a higher powered router or a high-gain antenna without also upgrading the client adapter or antenna?

Bob

Antenna gain is always the best, because it applies to both transmitting and receiving, and this applies to either/both client and WiFi rourter/access point.

Getting a supposedly high power WiFi router/access point creates a stronger signal in only one direction. So like a rock band with a gigantic sound amplifier, it is one-way. (Tipster has yet to see the light in this topic - he keeps espousing the virtues of high power routers)

Last edited: