What's new

RAX200 DNS configuration guidance needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried the same thing yesterday also without success.
Partly the whole router freezes or (like your situation) I cant resolve any websites.

I think I will just replace the router. I already spent too much time on this useless box :)
I also don't like wasting time on that. In fact now it's more about understanding rather than changing the DNS; because we could always do a LAN with 2 routers...
It's more about what they gave us, and how come we can't change DNS on our LAN section...
That seems fishy to me and more worrying.

Hi,
So I wasted more time redesigning my own network, and was able to change the DNS in my own router DHCP section. Immediately doing so, cut my connection to the internet...

Here's the result from my win10 PC:

>nslookup www.lequipe.fr
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.2.2

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
^C
C:\Users\JS>nslookup pi.hole
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.2.2

Name: pi.hole
Addresses: fe80::c17d:2a5:8688:5760

One can see, I can reach my local DNS server, but I have no more internet connection. It's very weird.

If/when I connect to the ISP router, without custom DNS; it works:
nslookup www.lequipe.fr
Server: sunrise.box
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: e7130.g.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.11.239.250
Aliases: www.lequipe.fr
2-01-273c-004f.cdx.cedexis.net
www.lequipe.fr.edgekey.net

Hi, I can't be bothered reconfiguring my LAN for the 3rd time to do additional checks.
What I wanted to add is that using a 2nd router, I was able to configure the DHCP/DNS properly and pointing to my local DNS server (pi-hole, 192.168.2.3).
My latest problem was actually an oversight from me: since the ZYXEL was not able to change DNS; I had to modify my network. I no longer had 192.168.2.1 in my network, that device got moved to its own subnet.
My second router, the RAX200 had 192.168.2.2. The problem was on my pi-hole which no longer had the gateway 192.168.2.1.
I moved my RAX200 to be 192.168.2.1, that because the proper gateway for the pi-hole and then it works:
the dhcp clients from my 2nd subnet (192.168.2.x) properly communicate to their GW (rax200 192.168.2.1) which properly tells them the DNS is 192.168.2.3.

That works.
So my workaround for the ZYXEL unable to change DNS, is to have that second router, in another subnet, and configure dhcp/dns as usual.

Hi,
In all transparency, Sunrise trying to help (with some limitations) and they offered alternative options.
They send me free of charge another device, a Sagemcom, where allegedely I can change the DNS. That's also alleged that everything else will remain the same (10G connection, etc).

I haven't had the time to test that device, eventhough I received it quickly.
I'm also talking to them to have a 1G line (which I am paying) instead of that 10G pon thingy, which is not for me.

I made several measurements over the weekend, from my wifi6 phone to that Zyxel device and I barely had 200MB/S speed.

During first days, I remember seeing 600/800MBS speeds.

They will call me back (they did the other day to offer another modem).

Ok back to the explanation board, there has been some interesting development. I have to go lenghty as full transparency for fairness and accuracy.

As a reminder, I recently switched from ADSL (a poor old line averaging at 80mbs download) to Fiber. In the process I got a new router (zyxel ax7501-b0).
I'm supposed to have a 10G pon connection, shared with max 50 other customers according to Sunrise. My quick dumb and incorrect network maths made me realize 10Gbs/50=200mbs approximately. That assumption proved to be very coincidental, unfortunate and incorrect. Explanation further.

When it was setup, I had in the first few minutes tested the speed of the connection using my wifi6 mobile device, and saw something fast (like 600mbs or even 800mbs).
After that, I had to integrate that device to my network, that's when I discovered we could not change the DNS on that router.
Following numerous talks, checks and discussion with Sunrise support, they confirmed one can not change the DNS.
As explained aboved, I was able to bypass their router/modem restriction and change DNS but then the connection was apparently no longer working.

I reconfigured entirely my LAN, having to set static ips, etc... and changing from one subnet to two subnet, so I could use my own router, Netgear RAX200, to use my own DNS server.
Then I just received a new modem/router from Sunrise (Sagemcom fiber something), their support claiming I will be able to change DNS with that.

I have not had the time or will to try that device then, as it would have involved reconfiguring all again.

Timely, we are now few weeks, 1-2 months after the switch to Fiber, and I did speed tests again:
200mbs in average. I did numerous readings at various time, including night, etc... I also used different device and even cabled myself directly to the Zyxel using cat6a cable...

So I was unhappy with the 10G speed and recontacted the support after finding out that 10G PON is about (in short, shared connection).

After a few exchanges they told me that actually I'm having "Internet Confort M or something similar" and that by contract, the connection is limited to 200mbs.
That could not be... so I checked my sunrise cockpit/profile online and... that was correct. They proceeded with explaining me that while the connection line was able to received faster, my speed is limited due to that. So I informed them that is not correct, that I remember very well paying for a 1GB speed because I was commenting how I always paid for 1GB, yet the bad quality adsl line was capping me at 80mbs.
At that time I could not find email evidence of the above, so I asked them to give me some time to call them back.

I verified my contracts and indeed, my contract is supposed to be "Sunrise Internet Max Giga" (supposed to be max 1gbs download max, same for upload). That "Sunrise Internet Max Giga" naming no longer exists in terms of subscription from that ISP Sunrise, in Jan 2022.

So at some point, without informing me, my subscription seems to have switched from "Sunrise Internet Max Giga" to "internet confort M or something similar". Prices and everything remained the same.

With that information at hand, I call back, explain and a solution was proposed: Sunrise offered to change me to the "We home XL" (which is the actual 10G pon thing), which allegedely turns out to be even a few francs cheaper than my current subscription... Apparently without any incidence of my subscription (no extension of contract duration, time, etc...) beside being...a few francs cheaper.
So I accepted, I am yet to see and confirm it all went ok, which I will only see with the next bills.

The only mystery remaining was how come my initial speedtests were around 600/800mbs, if I was capped to 200mbs. My theory is that quickly after the initial connection the modem gets firmware/profile from Sunrise, and even updated its firmware and rebooted. I guess my speedtests were done before my speed was capped or something similar...

Conclusion: the 10G pon thing is not limiting me to 200mbs. The fact that there were allegedly shared between 50 customers was also unfortunate because that did not explain constant 200mbs speed. The explanation of that capping because of my subscription which was changed without any notification or price change in the past 2 years. That subscription limited me to 200mbs download max.
The problem was I am paying for "Sunrise Internet Max Giga" supposed to be up to 1GBS. Sunrise support made me an offer and I will allegedly get the 10G thing for a few francs cheaper than my current contract. I accepted.

At this point I do not know which one is better, the Zyxel or Sagemcom. I do not know why the Zyxel is not allowing us to change DNS, especially if the same connection with the Sagemcom allegedly can... I will probably not go through reconfigure everything again and probably return the Sagemcom (unless I do some research and if I find that model might be better than the Zyxel).

Zyxel support told me one can change the DNS; but with Sunrise firmware we can't. Sunrise has not been willing/able to explain me why there is such restriction.

Quick update: nothing activated yet, no 10G on so far. (order waiting for completion since many days).

Returning the "Sunrise-internet-box-fiber" (I did not use or try it). I suspect it's not that good base on this review and comments:

https://www.xavierstuder.com/2021/0...lle-sunrise-internet-box-fiber/sunrise_fiber/

I will keep the Zyxel ax7501-b0 (despite Sunrise firmware limitations preventing from changing DNS; I workaround using my own router and 2 subnets).

I don't have will or time to test the Internet Box Fiber, especially I suspect it won't work well.

Quick update: nothing activated yet, no 10G on so far. (order waiting for completion since many days).

Returning the "Sunrise-internet-box-fiber" (I did not use or try it). I suspect it's not that good base on this review and comments:

https://www.xavierstuder.com/2021/0...lle-sunrise-internet-box-fiber/sunrise_fiber/

I will keep the Zyxel ax7501-b0 (despite Sunrise firmware limitations preventing from changing DNS; I workaround using my own router and 2 subnets).

I don't have will or time to test the Internet Box Fiber, especially I suspect it won't work well.
After another call, finally the order was "activated" on 2nd feb 2022... I have made a quick speed test, from far and behind walls, saw average 600mb/s in download (wifi6).
Might be much faster with proper test conditions.
I still use the Zyxel for now.

Aaaannd.. of course Sunrise made billing issue and now they are overcharging me for the new contrat. Thats an increase of 33.69% while they had claim it would even be cheaper (a few francs)...

Aaaannd.. of course Sunrise made billing issue and now they are overcharging me for the new contrat. Thats an increase of 33.69% while they had claim it would even be cheaper (a few francs)...
End of story: after numerous efforts, and false information given by Sunrise (they listened the call and confirmed), Sunrise tried to sneak me. After I refused proposed change, they made what they called a "gesture" (I told them it's not one, they have to respect the contract I had). Basically. I got the shared PON 10G thingy, and paying the price I was paying before.
I should have received my 1G maximum download/upload line, but anyway, in average with the 10G I mesured 600mbs-up to 900mbs in both download /uploads.
So it's fast anyway.
Due to the numerous customer support issue, I also ditched the phone as a punishment, so in a few weeks I'll be paying only for the 10G line, at the decent price I had.

I did not need to involve the ombudsman, I think it's fair to see that Sunrise are rather flexible with billing in "both directions" and after many exchanges they came back to the contractual offer.

Saying that, the line is very stable until now. Surely far from 10G but average 600-900 mbs download and upload is very fast, can't complaint.
My local DNS is working (with limitations), shame we can't set bridge mode on those ISP devices.

Anyway, time to set the topic to an end.

Short update about my router:
On 16th June, Sunrise made a remote update and this "destroyed" my Zyxel (according to the support, after 3,5h in the hotline).
They also told me, that they dont send out the Zyxel anymore and only use the Sagemcom, which has 4 ports instead of 5.
But im fine with that, I can finally change the DNS there :)

Its this model:

Short update about my router:
On 16th June, Sunrise made a remote update and this "destroyed" my Zyxel (according to the support, after 3,5h in the hotline).
They also told me, that they dont send out the Zyxel anymore and only use the Sagemcom, which has 4 ports instead of 5.
But im fine with that, I can finally change the DNS there :)

Its this model:
Hello B_Rabbit

How do you like the new sagecom? Is it up to date? Zyxel FW is really outdated with Sunrise... :(