What's new

Re: Apple Boots Nest Off its Shelves, But Will Consumers Mind?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would not buy any 'smart' or internet connected 'thing', like a thermostat either.

That kind of tech gets in the way (and is intrusive) instead of making things easier.

I would not buy any 'smart' home device that requires an internet connection to function. Many routers that consumers use are unstable (such as those given by ISPs) even the modems can be too that it is simply unreliable to expect the customer to always have internet for the device the function, not to mention that the device could not function if someone were fully using the internet line.

Unless everyone uses fibre optics it is unrealistic to have an internal device that relies on the internet brought by cable/DSL/wireless to be reliable when it is affected by weather, internet usage and crappy network hardware.

Would not buy any 'smart' or internet connected 'thing', like a thermostat either.

That kind of tech gets in the way (and is intrusive) instead of making things easier.

As ex-Honeyweller I have Honeywell wireless thermostat connected to Internet via Redlink Gateway.
My daughter's and our cabin have EcoBee thermostat which works wonderful. No issues.
Of course, I installed them. Next was rushed product, as a result it is known it damaged(burnt out)
a/c unit compressors by under rated relay sticking.

Last edited:
I would not buy any 'smart' home device that requires an internet connection to function. Many routers that consumers use are unstable (such as those given by ISPs) even the modems can be too that it is simply unreliable to expect the customer to always have internet for the device the function, not to mention that the device could not function if someone were fully using the internet line.

Unless everyone uses fibre optics it is unrealistic to have an internal device that relies on the internet brought by cable/DSL/wireless to be reliable when it is affected by weather, internet usage and crappy network hardware.

You mean fiber optics trunk links. It does not have to be all the way into my house. After all we're consumers not commercial/industrial enterprise. I live in a neighborhood where every thing is under ground. We have been living here over 20 years, total power outage during that time is maybe more or less 1 hour. Power meter, gas meter are all digital read remotely.

yes but requiring the internet to function adds latency and your area has the cables underground but a lot of other areas dont not to mention the most commonly uxed routers at home arent reliable.

the cable TV giants have spent $$ and advertise the dickens out of convenience and security of their stuff using Zigbee and Z-Wave mated with a bridge to their data centers. So you can spend $$$ to turn on the coffee pot. I think they're getting good sales on these, to my surprise.

I do have a garage door is open/closed gizmo that uses the Internet and a fee-less data service. My Apple and Android phone speak to tell me if door is open/closed. So I don't have to drive 20 miles back home because I stupidly left the door open.

Zero recurring cost. One-time cost was about $75 for wireless sensor on door and the Internet bridge thing which is tiny.

Also, I've used HomeSeer (software) for years - but rarely do I use the web browser to diddle things.

The cable and wireless companies love home automation. In the industry, we call those services "strategic" or "churn reducers".

It's easy to get TV channels from someone else. It easy to get a new cell phone. It's not easy to change over your whole-home automation system.

I don't know what the complaint is? I have Nest thermostats and cams and they all do their jobs very well. I think Apple pulling them from shelves is more for the Apple vs Google mind share than any functional reason.

I don't know what the complaint is? I have Nest thermostats and cams and they all do their jobs very well. I think Apple pulling them from shelves is more for the Apple vs Google mind share than any functional reason.

You must have a newer Nest. First ones had serious issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online