What's new

Re: enabling ports 109-110

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDD

New Around Here
Hello,

Grandstream is telling me I need to enable ports 109-110 in my network
in order for their VoIP router (UCM6102) to be able to send out emails
to me of various notifications of disk status, errors, etc.

How do I enable ports 109-110 in my Tomato router?

Here's what I set up in my Tomato router:

Port Forwarding

On Protocol Src Address Ext Ports Int Port Int Address Description
On Both 192.168.1.30 109-110 192.168.1.30 4 Grandstream RTR 2 email messag

As recommended by Grandstream, I tried "Both" as the Protocol. This resulted in a failed "test" email attempt by the Grandstream UCM6102 Router:

Email Generated Time Email Send Module Receivers Last Send Time Last Send Address Send Result Return Code Options
2018-08-18 13:07:00 Test xxxxxx@gmail.com 08-18 13:07:04 xxxxxx@gmail.com deferred 534-5.7.14

Setting the Protocol to UDP gave this result:

Email Generated Time Email Send Module Receivers Last Send Time Last Send Address Send Result Return Code Options
2018-08-18 13:05:04 Test xxxxxxx@gmail.com 08-18 13:05:09 xxxxxx@gmail.com deferred none

I'm not a VoIP techie!

Q: Should the "Src Address" and "Int Address" be the same, or, different?

192.168.1.30 is the address of my Grandstream VoIP router.
Here are the email settings in my Grandstream router:

TLS Enable (checked)
Type Client
Email Template Sending Format HTML
SMTP Server smtp.gmail.com:587
Enable SASL Authentication (checked)
Username xxxxxx@gmail.com
Password **
Enable Email-to-Fax (UN-checked)
POP/POP3 Server Address (blank)
POP/POP3 Server Port (blank)
Display Name IMK UCM6102 PBX
Sender **@gmail.com
I thank you in advance for studying this and giving me any advice!

Thanks!

Interesting - TCP/110 is POP3, which is usually used for MTA to MUA download (basically it's an email server for client download of email) - TCP/109 is reserved for pop2, which is largely deprecated, but it's still reserved....

There's a mechanism for sending email over popper - the XTND XMIT command, which sends an envelope over to the MTA agent (sendmail, qmail, postfix, etc) - but that's after TLS negotiation for login

I actually did quite a bit of work with pop3 and authentication a long time ago (let's say 25 years ago) - initially POP3, like SMTP, was all plain text - integrating APOP and Kerberos was the task at hand back then - all predating where we are right now in the present.

Anyways - looking at your config as noted above - the pop3 server address probably needs populating, along with the port (110/TCP), and with TLS, you'll need a valid user/pass and cert perhaps.

Hope this helps...

Hi!

Wow!

Acronym after acronym! :confused:

You sure know your stuff!

Sorry, as I indicated in my post, "I'm not a VoIP techie!"

But I did the best I could and tried to follow your advice.

Thanks for the history lesson of pop, ports, etc. :)

I filled in the pop3 field with: pop.gmail.com:995

And the field below it: 995

Tested: result: deferred, return code: 534-5.7.14

Please see attached screenshots.
342owsyb4

What can you now suggest?

MANY thanks for your input!!
:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.19.29 PM   Sunday  8-19-18.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.19.29 PM Sunday 8-19-18.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.19.41 PM   Sunday  8-19-18.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.19.41 PM Sunday 8-19-18.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 519
POP3 should have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to deliver outbound email messages. Your screenshot is quite blurry, but I am pretty sure it says the status code was "534-5.7.14" which if my google abilities are working today, means you are not authenticating correctly to the SMTP servers.

So I would assume you have bad credentials in the SMTP password field, or your security settings on your GMail account do not permit this type of function. I know on my account, I use 2FA so I had to create an app specific password for my cameras that email out.

So I would assume you have bad credentials in the SMTP password field, or your security settings on your GMail account do not permit this type of function. I know on my account, I use 2FA so I had to create an app specific password for my cameras that email out.

That's exactly what I was thinking - had to do that for my QNAP NAS for alert notifications....

One thing I noticed @JDD - on your POP3 Server Line Item - change that to just read pop.gmail.com, as the port setting is below that line item.

If you do need to port forward - forward the pop3 port that Gmail uses (TCP/995) if you absolutely must, I don't think it's needed to be honest, and you don't want to forward the SMTP stuff at all...

POP3 should have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to deliver outbound email messages. Your screenshot is quite blurry, but I am pretty sure it says the status code was "534-5.7.14" which if my google abilities are working today, means you are not authenticating correctly to the SMTP servers.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

You are right about the error code: 534-5.7.14 is correct.

I have checked: my gmail password is absolutely correct. I've checked this a dozen times. Signed in and out of the Gmail web browser interface using the exact same email address and password. Its correctly entered into the UCM6102 VoIP router.

". . . security settings on your GMail account do not permit this type of function."
Well, this was working a while back. I don't know exactly when the Grandstream UCM6102 router's email notices stopped working, but I do know they were working a year ago because the email log shows a successful test email having been sent.

What else can you suggest?

Thanks!