What's new

Re-using older existing device as AiMesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkje

@RMerlin when I buy a new device. Can I use the old unit as aimesh and will it serve also the new abilities of the new router although it doesn't support them itself?

No.

@RMerlin when I buy a new device. Can I use the old unit as aimesh and will it serve also the new abilities of the new router although it doesn't support them itself?
You can use old router as AiMesh node, but it will only support capabilities of hardware.

Can I use the old unit as aimesh
Yes. (edit to add: if the old Asus router supports being an AiMesh node in it's firmware.)
and will it serve also the new abilities of the new router although it doesn't support them itself?
No. (edit to add: The AiMesh node only supports what it's hardware and firmware can support.)

Ok, so if main router supports ax... I understand that the old router won't offcourse. But if main router supports wireguard. The aimesh cliënt that don't support wireguard will only function as accespoint so it will delagate all below to all nodes right?

But if main router supports wireguard. The aimesh cliënt that don't support wireguard will only function as accespoint so it will delagate all below to all nodes right?
You lose (turn off) a lot of the functions of a router when you change a Asus router into an Asus AiMesh node. Your nodes themselves generally are not doing the WireGuard (or OpenVPN or TOR) your main router will be doing that as either the VPN client or VPN server.

Older devices that are not mesh capable still have considerable utility as APs or wireless bridges. An AP is a close relative of a node with wired backhaul.