What's new

Realtek 2.5Gb: Have to unplug network cable after losing Internet or updating router firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crawfish

Occasional Visitor
I'm running Windows 11 and using the Realtek 2.5 Gb adapter built into my Asus B550 motherboard, and while it works well enough, it doesn't recover after the Internet goes down or I've updated the router firmware, which is an Asus XT8. I always have to unplug the network cable, and then things are fine after I plug it back in. I've tried ipconfig /renew to no avail, and I'm using the latest drivers and firmware. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 11 and using the Realtek 2.5 Gb adapter built into my Asus B550 motherboard, and while it works well enough, it doesn't recover after the Internet goes down or I've updated the router firmware, which is an Asus XT8. I always have to unplug the network cable, and then things are fine after I plug it back in. I've tried ipconfig /renew to no avail, and I'm using the latest drivers and firmware. Any ideas?
That is a well known issue including Intel. All of 2.5gb nic in the market are garbage. That's why I recommend 10gb nic instead of 2.5gb. Many people buy 2.5gb nic because it's cheap.:eek: Buy 1gb nic or 10gb nic.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D71PVXG/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
Disable and enable in control panel.

RTL though usually isn't much of a problem child. I have one in my server with an ASR board that doesn't like the default Linux driver and required blacklisting it to force it to use the correct version. For me though it's just there as a backup since I'm using a ln aquantia quad port 5ge nic instead.

If Asus posted drivers on their website make sure you're using those and not the windows provided one.

I'm using the relevant driver direct from Realtek. Thanks for the control panel suggestion, I'll give it a try next time it happens. Fortunately, it's only an occasional annoyance.

ETA 3/9/23: Disabling/enabling the adapter in "Advanced network settings" works!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!