What's new

Received New RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KevyMatts

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

New to site hopefully this is in correct category.

I received my Asus Router RT-AC86U ill be using it for mostly wired gaming desktop PC and few mobile and firesticks of the wireless. Looking for the best optimization settings for gaming Ill be using my OMT Nokia as modem since its Fibre FTTH cable in it.

If anyone could help and advise be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
What's your ISP speed? FTTH has low latency, you may not need any special settings for a wired gaming PC.

Gaming isn't special. Build a good network and gaming use will benefit too. :)

First, flash the firmware you want to use. I suggest RMerlin firmware for maximum performance and highest security. And, more features too, if needed (now or in the future).

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

Then, perform a full reset to factory defaults to ensure the variables and defaults the firmware uses are the variables and defaults it expects.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Afterward, the best practice suggestions collected in the last few years (mostly from this website) will give you a fast, stable, and reliable network to use as you wish.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

And more reading for you, if needed.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

I would run stock Asuswrt on this router - much newer firmware base than latest stable Asuswrt-Merlin available. Reset is not needed, just update to latest Asuswrt via GUI after first setup. For a new router and user there is no need to do anything else.

Gaming isn't special. Build a good network and gaming use will benefit too. :)

First, flash the firmware you want to use. I suggest RMerlin firmware for maximum performance and highest security. And, more features too, if needed (now or in the future).

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

Then, perform a full reset to factory defaults to ensure the variables and defaults the firmware uses are the variables and defaults it expects.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Afterward, the best practice suggestions collected in the last few years (mostly from this website) will give you a fast, stable, and reliable network to use as you wish.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

And more reading for you, if needed.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD
Thank you very much for the helpful post plenty of learning and reading ahead of me that's for sure, The firmware you suggest that's what you have linked in that post just to make sure.

@KevyMatts, run stock firtmwre to make sure your new router is working properly. Install 3rd party firmware only if you need extra features. The performance of Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin is the same. With 300/100 FTTH and a wired PC your games will be fine. Just enjoy your games and don’t waste your time flashing and resetting your router. Latest Asuswrt is not only newer, but also very stable.

@Tech9 Okay thank you ill update to the latest stock then, also is there settings or lan port etc i need for my desktop PC like QoS or anything or just plug and play.

Use Adaptive QoS with Games profile. Prioritize your gaming PC in Game section. Test your games. If all works well, enjoy your holidays.

I'm curious if the gaming folk around here have tried the WTFast gaming network functionality - does it improve the experience as much as they suggest it does?

I did think about trying it but the only MP game I play is ME3MP which is p2p so I don't think they'd be of any use to me.

So i have my deviced installed using latest stock for now havent installed custom just yet.

So i have enabled game profile and added my desktop pc also do i need to enabled open nat/port forwarding? anything i need to do?

thanks

Attachments

• game.png
    game.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 75
  • pen mnat.png
    pen mnat.png
    384.8 KB · Views: 72

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!