What's new

RT-AC86U LED Management Issue After Reboot (Firmware 386.12_4)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wobbo

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and seeking assistance with my ASUS RT-AC86U router, currently on Firmware 386.12_4. The issue is with the LED management: despite turning them off in the settings, they automatically turn back on after every reboot, even though the settings indicate they should be off.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ernie

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the issue you describe with the LED's is a known issue. Past discussion on this issue can be found using the forum search feature. A workaround is to use the LED control script that can be installed using amtm.

amtm.jpg

Thank you for the information about the LED issues with the ASUS RT-AC86U. I appreciate the workaround suggestion, but I think I'll wait for a new firmware update that hopefully resolves this problem.

Thank you for the information about the LED issues with the ASUS RT-AC86U. I appreciate the workaround suggestion, but I think I'll wait for a new firmware update that hopefully resolves this problem.
Don't. We've been waiting years. it's not a priority for a router barreling towards end-of-support.
Just use the scheduler

Ok, I won't. ;) I had no idea I could manage my router via SSH. If everything works as planned, the LEDs will turn off tonight and then turn back on tomorrow morning. Thanks! However, I'm just worried that I might accidentally make a permanent mistake and break something. I've ended up damaging enough smartphones in the past by tinkering with different operating systems and such. 🤣

Thanks all

Attachments

• 2023-12-28 20-45-07.png
    2023-12-28 20-45-07.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 26
... but I think I'll wait for a new firmware update that hopefully resolves this problem.
There are occasional posts going back to at least 2021 on this issue (see this post re an RT-AC86U). It hasn't been addressed in the firmware apparently. Draw your own conclusions from that. Its pretty straight forward to use AMTM to install the scheduler or other add-ons.
Edit to add: More on AMTM in the add-ons subforum:

Last edited:
Thanks! Solved so quickly.
There is some additional discussion on the LED issue in a different thread discussion which deals with a different router using Asus-Merlin. See my post in that discussion, at this link, which has some suggestions. Namely, for single router (no AiMesh), do not use the AiMesh Management LED option or the Asus mobile app to manage the LED being on or off. Instead use the Asus-Merlin router GUI's Administration > System > Basic Config > Disable LED setting to set the LED to Off. Then test to see if the router keeps the LED off after router finishes rebooting or powering on. Otherwise if it still doesn't work, then use the AMTM LED Control script which should keep the LED off after router reboot or power on.

I just tested it on my RT-AC86U and it works correctly for me, the LEDs are staying off after a reboot when I disable them on the System page.

Make sure you don't have something else overriding the LED status.

How are you turning them off?

Turn them off and leave them that way is my suggestion - some of these routers have heat management issues from dried out thermal pads and dust in air passages from many years of use can cause it to overheat/throttle/act unpredictably. Amtm is the best way to make it a persistent setting in case of reboots.

I just tested it on my RT-AC86U and it works correctly for me, the LEDs are staying off after a reboot when I disable them on the System page.

Make sure you don't have something else overriding the LED status.

How are you turning them off?
After my testing, this problem does exist on the AiMesh node.It's normal on the main router. But it will light up automatically after restarting on the AiMesh node.

Thank you for the information about the LED issues with the ASUS RT-AC86U. I appreciate the workaround suggestion, but I think I'll wait for a new firmware update that hopefully resolves this prob

Not going to happen

After my testing, this problem does exist on the AiMesh node.It's normal on the main router. But it will light up automatically after restarting on the AiMesh node.
LED control on the System page is an Asuswrt-Merlin feature. I have no control on AiMesh node communication, so there's no way for that setting to propagate to nodes.

LED control on the System page is an Asuswrt-Merlin feature. I have no control on AiMesh node communication, so there's no way for that setting to propagate to nodes.
You misunderstood. The LED control we are talking about is not the Disable LEDs in system management.
And the LED of the node is not propagated by the master node, and each node can be set independently.

Last edited:
You misunderstood. The LED control we are talking about is not the Disable LEDs in system management.
And the LED of the node is not propagated by the master node, and each node can be set independently.
Still outside of my control, like everything related to AiMesh.