What's new

Recommend a good quality coax/Ethernet test tool for home use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I could use a good quality coax/Ethernet cable/connector test tool for home use... I'd appreciate recommendations here. I checked Klien Tools but they have too many choices for me to decipher with any confidence... I have no experience using such tools.

Thanks!

OE

Last edited:
I could use a good quality coax/Ethernet cable/connector test tool for home use... I'd appreciate recommendations here. I checked Klien Tools but they have too many choices for me to decipher with any confidence... I have no experience using such tools.

Thanks!

OE

For years I have used a couple of these from Monoprice. As the reviews show, good stuff at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

OE
Do you just need to check a cable that it is pinned correctly and there is continuity on all pairs or do you want to certify that a cable with handle certain speeds?

Do you just need to check a cable that it is pinned correctly and there is continuity on all pairs or do you want to certify that a cable with handle certain speeds?

Both sound useful.

My Ethernet is exposed patch cords and a few custom cables, so easy to troubleshoot/swap out. I can continue to trust Ethernet blindly until I have in-wall segments and wall plate connectors (next house?) that may require confirmation that they are ok and not the problem. But, being able to test custom Ethernet cables may save me some grief, if I ever make some more.

I'm adding MoCA 2.5 backhauls over existing in-wall RG59 coax and would like to prove a coax segment ok before I hook it up and hope for the best. And if the tool can confirm 2.5Gbps capacity, that would be nice to know provided that tool doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I suspect I'm like a lot of people when it comes to such tools... live without them until some theshold need or justification... like confirming my existing in-wall coax is suitable for MoCA 2.5 networking.

Confirming in-wall telephone wiring would be useful, too, for use with ATAs.

OE

a pair of moca 2.5 modems with diagnostic pages for sync rate/bit error rates, etc accessible is likely the same price or less than the tool to do the same test. Most of the inexpensive coax/ethernet testers are just continuity/short and wire pattern testers

Both sound useful.

My Ethernet is exposed patch cords and a few custom cables, so easy to troubleshoot/swap out. I can continue to trust Ethernet blindly until I have in-wall segments and wall plate connectors (next house?) that may require confirmation that they are ok and not the problem. But, being able to test custom Ethernet cables may save me some grief, if I ever make some more.

I'm adding MoCA 2.5 backhauls over existing in-wall RG59 coax and would like to prove a coax segment ok before I hook it up and hope for the best. And if the tool can confirm 2.5Gbps capacity, that would be nice to know provided that tool doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I suspect I'm like a lot of people when it comes to such tools... live without them until some theshold need or justification... like confirming my existing in-wall coax is suitable for MoCA 2.5 networking.

Confirming in-wall telephone wiring would be useful, too, for use with ATAs.

OE
I use a Sperry Instruments tester model TT64202. It will check continuity on both coaxial and Ethernet cable and test the pinning in Ethernet.

My TPLink smart switches ( TL-SG108E) provide some additional about about possible faults and the quality/ reliability of the network cables connected to the switch.

To try and get an idea of what speed they are actually capable of transmitting data at I use an utility and run a LAN speed test between two devices.

To do everything you are interested in particularly for coaxial is going to require more sophisticated test equipment. Maybe become with the local guy. In theory the coaxial will work if they used RG6 and when they installed it without driving the staples to tight and no kinks where they bent it around corners. New compression type connectors at both ends of a cable can cure a lot of problems. Hardest problem to solve is if non moca compliant splitters are hidden somewhere or buried in the wall.

Attachments

• cabelTest.txt
    657 bytes · Views: 45
Klein Tools Scout Pro 3 voice/date/video cable tester kits VDV501-851, -852, and -853 plus accessories and replacement parts...
Scout Pro 3 Cable Tester Kits (kleintools.com pdf)

As I see it, the same cable tester is in all three kits except the 851 starter kit tester has its POE test function disabled(?)

So, I would consider the 852 kit for the POE test function and the useful extra bits...
Scout ® Pro 3 Tester with Locator Remote Kit - VDV501-852 | Klein Tools
$175 on Amazon today

Some might want/need to add the VDV500-123 tracing probe...
Probe-PRO Tracing Probe - VDV500-123 | Klein Tools
$44 on Amazon today

The above 852 tester kit and 123 probe are bundled together on Amazon...
$219 on Amazon today...

I'll keep an eye on these.

OE

Last edited:

Thanks!

OE
FLUKE. No doubt.

For testing pinout and continuity and tracing cables, I don't think any are going to be all that different. Ideal and Klein are the most common probably. I have one of the Klein VDV and it is handy. If you want to test quality of the cable and temination, you're looking at big $$$$ for Fluke. When I need to check quality on Ethernet (copper or fiber) I connect a good PC on both sides and run iperf, on coax if there is a live signal I'll just check the signal stats in a modem or TV box connected to the cable. If you're running new coax and don't have any service, you can short out one end and use a multimeter to check resistance between pin and shield on the other. It is a very basic test but will tell you pretty reliably if you've got a good terminations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!