What's new

Recommend an AiMesh router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PlayaSucia

Occasional Visitor
I had a cloud to ground lightning strike that fried my cable modem and AC68U last week and destroyed a tree in my yard. I've been testing the AC68U and found the WAN, LAN 1&2 ports are bad but the WIFI and LAN 3&4 work just fine. I've been using it as a repeater for a week and I haven't had any issues. So my plan is to get another AiMesh router to use as the main and use the AC68U as a node with wireless backhaul. I've never used AiMesh before but from what I understand it's similar to repeater mode with more features.

What AiMesh router under $150 USD do you guys currently recommend? The AC68U fit my needs fine and I was just going to pick up another but saw the RT-AC86U cost not much more – is there a noticeable performance difference? Are any of the AX routers in that price range worth considering?

but saw the RT-AC86U cost not much more – is there a noticeable performance difference?

RT-AC86U is much faster router, but it may also die much sooner. This is the first Asus HND platform router and has bad reliability history. There is a hope Asus fixed initial production issues, but all routers from all years are the same hardware revision. Read the reviews on Amazon, BestBuy. If AC68U is not slowing down the network, I would get another one and make them matching pair. Here in Canada it goes on sale often for CAD125 (USD100).

Had a bad reliability history.

Nothing but great performance for all (and many) customers that I've set up with the RT-AC86U (in single and AiMesh modes).

Without the WAN port working, the fried router is toast as a wired AiMesh node.

RT-AC86U is much faster router, but it may also die much sooner.
Had a bad reliability history.

I didn't realize the 86U had reliability issues. I'm reading the thread about the overheating issues on the 86U with the 386 firmware here. Is this mainly what you're referring to?
I guess I can grab another AC68U or AC66U_B1 whichever I can find a better deal on. Then wait a few years to upgrade when AX platform matures a bit. Reliability is more important to me than a performance upgrade.

I know because of the WAN port damage I can only use a wireless backhaul - while not ideal it should improve the range of the wifi, right? The damaged router is working right now as a repeater using a wireless backhaul, though I'm not too sure what the advantage of AiMesh vs a repeater is.

Your choice, but like you stated, a few dollars more will buy you a lot more 'router'.

The advantages of AiMesh is that the network is extended more seamlessly. Wired backhaul greatly preferred.

Wireless AiMesh and repeater modes are identical in that while range is extended, the network capabilities of the network as a whole are halved with each active node/repeater added.

Your choice, but like you stated, a few dollars more will buy you a lot more 'router'.

The advantages of AiMesh is that the network is extended more seamlessly. Wired backhaul greatly preferred.

Wireless AiMesh and repeater modes are identical in that while range is extended, the network capabilities of the network as a whole are halved with each active node/repeater added.

I was leaning towards the 86u for the price but not if it has reliability issues. And I don't want to have to hack a new router with a laptop fan or something because its overheating.

Don't take into account the (small) number of people who had issues with the early (2018) batch of units.

Consider also the majority who don't resort to posting on public forums how well their routers work. Which is 99.9% of my customers. :)

Is this mainly what you're referring to?

No. I own electronics recycling business. This model came in big numbers from a large retailer, all units are around 2-3y old. Failed after Asus warranty, but before extended warranty. I took home 10 units to investigate, 1 was completely dead, 6 were used for donors, 3 were restored in working order. I do electronics repairs as a hobby. My first impressions what's inside are here. Chinese folks from Koolshare forum have a long thread about AC86U, specific components fail often. The most common are LAN4 LED sudden death (step-down power converter failure) and loss of 2.4GHz radio (thermal stress related, perhaps). I get other models too, here is one repaired example, but in my statistics AC86U fails more often than any other Asus model. So, you decide what to do. I wouldn't trust AC86U. Many work for years, but more than usual number fail. It's an excellent router, when it works.

One AC86U in my "survivors" collection. I make them look great again. :)

14.png

15.png

This one has one VRM replaced, copper shim on the CPU, had dual fans attached for testing. The red stripe replaces the sticker. Original black sticker had to be removed to access the two screws underneath. This is what burns inside quite often for unknown reason. This screenshot was taken from this unit.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the RT-AX55? Its a newer model, supports AiMesh, and about the same price as the AC68U.
Would it perform better than the AC68U even if I don't have AX clients?

Depends on which RT-AC68U variant you're comparing it to.

With only 2x2:2 antennae/streams, I would pass on this model myself, based on the paper specs.

What do you guys think about the RT-AX55?

The cheapest Asus AX router, not very popular, overpriced. If you want, get a new AC86U from a trusted source with at least 2-year warranty. It's perhaps the best Asus AC router. Keep it in a place with good air flow. In 2-3 years time you'll have more AX devices and better AX routers will be cheaper. AC86U in 2017 was the same price as AX86U now. AC86U has better range and you may not need to use your old AC68U. Keep the AC68U as a backup router.