What's new

recommendation for Aimesh node AX86 vs AX68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
I have now RT-AX86U as main router and old RT-AC68U as aimesh node. Unfortunately by my mistake I don't have now real possibility to use ethernet backhaul...
I wanted to upgrade AC68 to something with AX and stronger signal
Two floors, routers can see each other currently. AC68 has not enough power to deliver wifi to fragments of one room where I need it, so I would need something a little stronger. Previously I thought that AX would be enough (and maybe would be, but my wife don't want it in "visible" place:))
What would you recommend? I thought about second AX86 or AX68.

I have now RT-AX86U as main router and old RT-AC68U as aimesh node. Unfortunately by my mistake I don't have now real possibility to use ethernet backhaul...
I wanted to upgrade AC68 to something with AX and stronger signal
Two floors, routers can see each other currently. AC68 has not enough power to deliver wifi to fragments of one room where I need it, so I would need something a little stronger. Previously I thought that AX would be enough (and maybe would be, but my wife don't want it in "visible" place:))
What would you recommend? I thought about second AX86 or AX68.

Consider the AX86S for a node... same radios and firmware as AX86U.

OE

A second RT-AX86U will make your network sing.

Otherwise, I would buy the cheaper of the RT-AX68U or the RT-AX86s. Note that the latter is a crippled version of the RT-AX86U though and not worth more than the RT-AX68U, imo.

A second RT-AX86U will make your network sing.

Otherwise, I would buy the cheaper of the RT-AX68U or the RT-AX86s. Note that the latter is a crippled version of the RT-AX86U though and not worth more than the RT-AX68U, imo.
The prices are same in my country, so probably ax86s would be better.
But regarding range, 86U is better than 86S or similar? Because as I see it, processor and ram are more useful in router mode, in aimesh probably not. 2,5G port - i cant use it (my mistake during renovation and have no cable now, but maybe I could put it there in next few months)

Last edited:
If the price is the same, the 's' version would be worth testing.

If you're planning to wire your backhaul and depending on your ISP speeds (now and in the near future...) and the price difference to the 'U', it may be more prudent to buy the better router today.

And if you're planning on using the 2.5GbE capabilities for your internal LAN too, the GT-AX6000 is the best choice today (be sure you make it the main router, of course).

Any router that will be used as a node first has to be functional as the main router for my use cases. Otherwise, the cost savings of getting a cheaper product are greatly negated.

Don't forget that any node you get will be usable as a backup router if/when issues arise with your main router down the line. Saving $50 or $100 for an expected 5+ years of use isn't my idea of 'savings' when the base price is so high today.

I bought RT-AX86S and now it is in exactly same place as previous RT-AC68U.
2.4GHz: previous signal (-60), current (-57 to -59) //edit, after "aimesh optimization" it is now (-46) so much better.
5GHz: previous signal (-60), current (-57 to -59/)... //edit, after "aimesh optimization" no change :(
So almost no change in 5GHz. Now I don't know if should I turn it back and buy U or not...

Does anyone had tests comparing RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86S and their signal?

Last edited:
I haven't seen such testing on this forum (or any other, for that matter). Only the mantra that is chanted that it is effectively the same except for the 2.5GbE port. (I don't believe that for one second until it is proven one way or another).

You could be the first to do such a direct comparison if you're willing to do so. And be sure to test for each Control Channel too.

As an aside, the dBm 'numbers' don't mean anything to me either. What matters is the connection latency to local and remote resources. Do you see an improvement there over the Rt-AC68U? Have download speeds improved? What other benefits do you observe over the RT-AC68U?

Using the same location may or may not give you the best network performance with new hardware. If you have any leeway in placement, orientation, and height (even by a few inches or feet in any direction), it would be wise to test for that for the network coverage over the entire home (and the devices you use at specific locations). Don't worry about the dBm stats. They mean little most of the time. Test how the network responds (latency) to your normal activities instead).

I haven't seen such testing on this forum (or any other, for that matter). Only the mantra that is chanted that it is effectively the same except for the 2.5GbE port. (I don't believe that for one second until it is proven one way or another).

You could be the first to do such a direct comparison if you're willing to do so. And be sure to test for each Control Channel too.

As an aside, the dBm 'numbers' don't mean anything to me either. What matters is the connection latency to local and remote resources. Do you see an improvement there over the Rt-AC68U? Have download speeds improved? What other benefits do you observe over the RT-AC68U?

Using the same location may or may not give you the best network performance with new hardware. If you have any leeway in placement, orientation, and height (even by a few inches or feet in any direction), it would be wise to test for that for the network coverage over the entire home (and the devices you use at specific locations). Don't worry about the dBm stats. They mean little most of the time. Test how the network responds (latency) to your normal activities instead).
To be honest, it is better now when I browse net, it just works in specific place where it didn't work very often.
Current placement is best from those that I could make...
I will take one week to check how it works, then I will leave it, or buy AX86U and make comparison.
Anyway, thank you for support. For sure I will write something after week or two of tests/comparison.

I have an AX68 and an AC86 and don't observe range benefits one to the other. There are a lot of nice things about AX, but I don't know that know of anything that will magically help range. Not if you had clients that supported some of AX benefits, well, sure. But do you? If you don't have clients using OFDMA, beamstearing, MU-MIMO, etc than I don't expect much resolution. I'd be looking to improve router/node placement, add a third if I had too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!