What's new

Recommendation needed for a low-end(ish) router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
For a bit over 3 years I've been a satisfied user of an AC86U. It meets my very modest needs - no 2.5G Ethernet, no WiFi-6, no signal strength problems (less than 50 feet through a wooden floor and/or a couple plasterboard walls), etc. These needs are not likely to change much before I'm hauled off to a retirement home (or the grave). In fact, the only reason I use wrt-Merlin at all (other than "Why not?") is to put a couple CNAME records in the router's DNS server, and there may be other ways to do that.

However, ... I keep reading about the reliability problems with the AC86U and figure mine may be living on borrowed time. I have an even older AC87U gathering dust on a shelf in case my AC86U dies, but maybe I should start looking for a newer replacement. I've read the "I'm new - router recommendations?" thread but most of the routers mentioned there seem like overkill in my case. (And from a purely esthetic standpoint, I find most newer ASUS routers ugly. I even dislike the red stripes on my AC86U. But I'm willing to cope with the non-GT models if I must.)

Any suggestions?

If you haven't seen the dedicated wireless buying advice subforum you may want to read through it:

Any suggestions?

Since you have a backup router - use your RT-AC86U as long as it works properly and it does what you need it to do. It's an excellent range router and some folks around find it better than much more expensive AX models. Save your money and buy cheaper what you need and when you need it.

For a bit over 3 years I've been a satisfied user of an AC86U. It meets my very modest needs - no 2.5G Ethernet, no WiFi-6, no signal strength problems (less than 50 feet through a wooden floor and/or a couple plasterboard walls), etc. These needs are not likely to change much before I'm hauled off to a retirement home (or the grave). In fact, the only reason I use wrt-Merlin at all (other than "Why not?") is to put a couple CNAME records in the router's DNS server, and there may be other ways to do that.

However, ... I keep reading about the reliability problems with the AC86U and figure mine may be living on borrowed time. I have an even older AC87U gathering dust on a shelf in case my AC86U dies, but maybe I should start looking for a newer replacement. I've read the "I'm new - router recommendations?" thread but most of the routers mentioned there seem like overkill in my case. (And from a purely esthetic standpoint, I find most newer ASUS routers ugly. I even dislike the red stripes on my AC86U. But I'm willing to cope with the non-GT models if I must.)

Any suggestions?

Agree with @Tech9. Wifi 7 routers are coming out so 6 and 6e routers should be dropping in price, no reason to buy one now if you don't need it and have a backup anyway.

If/when the time comes, TP-Link makes some good inexpensive routers. Don't go for the cheapest one but their middle of the road work quite well and are usually pretty cheap on Newegg etc. But by then (assuming you don't want WIFI 7) you should be able to get an Asus AX for a decent price. I'm not sure if the AX68U supports merlin but even the AX8 series should come down (though more fugly lights and crazy antennas).

If you want to try to extend the life of your 86 you can make sure it isn't getting too hot, maybe use a can of air or compressor to blow the dust out, make sure it is well ventilated, etc. Some people resort to fans but I think that is overkill, unless it is inside a closet or in a room that gets really hot in the summer etc.

I just saved a TP Link (Archer C3150 I think) from the trash (well neighbor asked me if I wanted it on its way to the trash). Actually has a more powerful CPU than my AC1900 Asus and is 4 stream instead of 3. But I have nothing that would take advantage of that, but at least have it around as a backup. Many of them can run 3rd party, I think maybe OpenWRT, haven't looked into it much.

Thanks for your suggestions. The downside of waiting for my AC86U to die and switching to the AC87U is that there is no longer a supported wrt-Merlin for it. (I guess I could install 384.13_10 on it.) Without its use of Dnsmasq I'll loose access to a NAS. (I could get around the problem with a lot of etc\host and etc/host files, but that's a pain.)

Regarding OpenWRT (or DD-WRT), I know that's an option on many routers, but I feel comfortable with wrt-Merlin.

And regarding extending the live of my AC86U, I've had a fan strapped to the back of it for a couple years. No problems with overheating ... yet.

It has the same BCM4709C0 CPU like RT-AC1900P, the same 256MB RAM, but much better next gen BCM4366 radios.

Yeah so an extra 0.4ghz over my RT-AC1900, and probably about the same wireless performance since all my clients are 2 stream. May play around with it some day, more likely it will go to a friend in need or just serve as a backup (though I have a couple old N600 routers that would work perfectly fine as a backup for me).

But I really do want that NitroQAM!

Thanks for your suggestions. The downside of waiting for my AC86U to die and switching to the AC87U is that there is no longer a supported wrt-Merlin for it. (I guess I could install 384.13_10 on it.) Without its use of Dnsmasq I'll loose access to a NAS. (I could get around the problem with a lot of etc\host and etc/host files, but that's a pain.)

Regarding OpenWRT (or DD-WRT), I know that's an option on many routers, but I feel comfortable with wrt-Merlin.

And regarding extending the live of my AC86U, I've had a fan strapped to the back of it for a couple years. No problems with overheating ... yet.

In reality that may give it a much longer life than others you've read about. Heat is the #1 enemy of every wireless router and the 86 perhaps didn't have the best thermal design. Power blips are also a big problem, keep it on a UPS if you can (though cheap simulated sine wave UPSes can also stress the power supplies, but better than multiple blips).

and probably about the same wireless performance

No, much better. BCM4366 has own processing units offloading the CPU. In AC68U variants with BCM4360 radios Wi-Fi performance depends on what the CPU is doing. I've run some tests in the past and the difference with AC Wave 2 gen is actually visible on the screen of your client device. It's like RT-AC68U vs RT-AC88U or RT-AC5300 (one of the 5GHz radios, of course) difference. BCM4366(5)E like in Archer C2300 and RT-AC86U is even better.

No, much better. BCM4366 has own processing units offloading the CPU. In AC68U variants with BCM4360 radios Wi-Fi performance depends on what the CPU is doing. I've run some tests in the past and the difference with AC Wave 2 gen is actually visible on the screen of your client device. It's like RT-AC68U vs RT-AC88U or RT-AC5300 (one of the 5GHz radios, of course) difference. BCM4366(5)E like in Archer C2300 and RT-AC86U is even better.

Yeah I just mean I can max out my 300M internet already with room to spare, and don't frequently use wifi for big transfers or anything bandwidth or latency sensitive for that matter. That stuff is hardwired.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think I have enough wifi traffic to realize the benefit. Dunno maybe a site will load a couple msec faster. Not worth figuring out how to get some other 3rd party firmware working and re-figuring out how to set up my VLANs and trunks etc.

But maybe if I use some RP-SMA "T" connectors to bridge their outputs together I'll have 4096QAM Ultra Nitro Turbo.

Last edited: