What's new

Recommendations for a 2.5G 8 port switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Background

Regular Contributor
Hi folks!

Recently upgraded to a 1.6Gbps connection here in the UK and need some recommendations for a networking switch! I've been watching ServeTheHome and think I've got it down to a few I think are decent?

Zyxel MG-108 (£119.00 GBP)

TP-Link TL-SG108-M2 (£180.00 GBP)

QNAP QSW-1108-8T (‎£119.00 GBP) (Black Friday)

TRENDnet TEG-S380 (£126.00 GBP)

Of course other recommendations are welcome! Ideally 8 ports (currently 6 in use) or more and under £200 GBP inc shipping.

Thanks!

I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 and can't recommend it. It has compatibility issues with much of my Apple gear --- don't recall specifics, but I've seen it cause different sorts of erratic problems with a M2 mac mini, an older Intel-based mini, and a current-generation Apple TV. Another thing to know about it is that it won't pass VLAN-tagged traffic, unlike other unmanaged switches I've dealt with.

I don't have specific experience with the other models you mention. I have a different Zyxel switch (XGS1250-12) about which my only complaint is that the fan is kinda loud if it spins up. I've alleviated that problem by being careful about giving it good airflow.

In fairness, I'm not sure that the troubles I had with the TEG-S380 were entirely its fault. In all three trouble cases I was connecting it to gear with other native port speeds (10G for the M2 mini, 1G for the others). I've also heard dark mutterings to the effect that 2.5G ethernet in general is not as well standardized as 1G has gotten to be. Given all this, I suggest that you might want to be careful about buying an all-2.5G-port switch and assuming that all your existing gear will play nice with it. The place I've ended up in for now is buying switches with mostly 1G ports and a few higher-speed ones. The high-speed ports interconnect the switches and serve clients that can use them, and anything that is 1G-only plugs into a bog-standard 1G port. The XGS1250-12 is like that, and I've also had rock-solid results with Netgear GS110MX switches (2x 1/2.5/10G, 8x 1G ports). Switches designed this way are also cheaper and run cooler than ones with all-high-speed ports.

I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 and can't recommend it. It has compatibility issues with much of my Apple gear --- don't recall specifics, but I've seen it cause different sorts of erratic problems with a M2 mac mini, an older Intel-based mini, and a current-generation Apple TV. Another thing to know about it is that it won't pass VLAN-tagged traffic, unlike other unmanaged switches I've dealt with.

I don't have specific experience with the other models you mention. I have a different Zyxel switch (XGS1250-12) about which my only complaint is that the fan is kinda loud if it spins up. I've alleviated that problem by being careful about giving it good airflow.

In fairness, I'm not sure that the troubles I had with the TEG-S380 were entirely its fault. In all three trouble cases I was connecting it to gear with other native port speeds (10G for the M2 mini, 1G for the others). I've also heard dark mutterings to the effect that 2.5G ethernet in general is not as well standardized as 1G has gotten to be. Given all this, I suggest that you might want to be careful about buying an all-2.5G-port switch and assuming that all your existing gear will play nice with it. The place I've ended up in for now is buying switches with mostly 1G ports and a few higher-speed ones. The high-speed ports interconnect the switches and serve clients that can use them, and anything that is 1G-only plugs into a bog-standard 1G port. The XGS1250-12 is like that, and I've also had rock-solid results with Netgear GS110MX switches (2x 1/2.5/10G, 8x 1G ports). Switches designed this way are also cheaper and run cooler than ones with all-high-speed ports.

I have a fair few Apple devices, iPhone, iPad and MacBook (M1 and Intel early 2015).

Fan issue is not an issue for me as it's in the spare room so don't mind that much but hearing a lot recommend either the Zyxel or the TP-Link.

XGS1250-12 looks good although won't use the SFP+ port a bit over my budget (@ £229.15) but could stretch to if it it's worth it

Only my 1 device (Gaming PC) will likely benefit from the 1.6Gbps connection (2.5G NIC) as all other devices have 1G networking cards (or Wi-Fi 5) in so maybe a 1G switch is better anyway if nothing else will benefit and just spending more money for no reason? Minus future-proofing I guess.

Why not consider the Netgear GS110MX? It's a 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet unmanaged switch with 8 x 1G, 2 x 10G/Multi-gig ports. It might be overkill, but it fairly quiet and sustains high transfer rates.

Why not consider the Netgear GS110MX? It's a 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet unmanaged switch with 8 x 1G, 2 x 10G/Multi-gig ports. It might be overkill, but it fairly quiet and sustains high transfer rates.
It's dead quiet: there's no fan. Yeah, I like the GS110MX quite a lot, if it fits what you want to do. It seems to achieve its rated speeds without drama, and it doesn't run very hot, considering the lack of fan. Having only two high-speed ports is a bit limiting though once you get to more than a couple of devices that need them.

Suggestions in no particular order, but based on experience, they're all good...

Netgear
TP-Link
TrendNet

those three for unmanaged should be fine... there may be others, and that's ok

Just been taking into account what you said about some devices not playing nicely with 2.5G switches.

So I'm wondering as I only have 1 device that can really use 2.5G (Gaming PC) the rest 1G maybe the Zyxel XGS1010-12? It's currently on sale which features 12 ports.

8x 1G
2x 2.5G
2x 10G

It's cheaper than all of them on sale for £105 and the picky devices can use the 1G ports. Of course the 10G ports will never be used but hey it's £14 cheaper than their 8 port 2.5G @ £119 and gives +2 extra usable ports.

Suggestions in no particular order, but based on experience, they're all good...

Netgear
TP-Link
TrendNet

those three for unmanaged should be fine... there may be others, and that's ok

I've never been a fan of Netgear personally, the amount of network switches from Netgear I've gone through in the last 3 years (10 units maybe?) put me off but might've improved now though!

GS110MX is £180 over my budget unfortunately @ChatmanR

I've never been a fan of Netgear personally, the amount of network switches from Netgear I've gone through in the last 3 years (10 units maybe?) put me off but might've improved now though!
Interesting ... I've owned half a dozen different Netgear switches and they've all been rock-solid reliable. I'm a bit suspicious of their managed switches because I hear you can't use them without setting up an on-line account, but I trust the unmanaged ones.

Anyway, that Zyxel unit you mention might be a good choice. I don't have personal experience with that exact model, but it looks like it ticks the boxes you need.

@L&LD are you still using the QNAP? Any feedback on this unit? If you ever did try it (upgrade). @dfunked also mentions the XGS1010-12 in this thread I mentioned above.

Interesting ... I've owned half a dozen different Netgear switches and they've all been rock-solid reliable. I'm a bit suspicious of their managed switches because I hear you can't use them without setting up an on-line account, but I trust the unmanaged ones.

Anyway, that Zyxel unit you mention might be a good choice. I don't have personal experience with that exact model, but it looks like it ticks the boxes you need.
Maybe I just got unlucky! I've tried Netgear routers and switches (before my ASUS) and never had much luck always had to get replacements but not tried any Netgear stuff in about 2 years though so might be a different story now.

The XGS1010-12 is standing out to me the most right now but also never used any Zyxel gear myself.

Interesting as well - when I set up my last managed Netgear switch, there was the option to opt-out... perhaps things have changed with newer devices...

Keep the receipts with any Netgear Pro-Safe switches, as if you have the proof-of-purchase, they'll honor the lifetime warranty...

The XGS1010-12 is standing out to me the most right now but also never used any Zyxel gear myself.
Totally fair to be dubious about a new-to-you company. FWIW, I've owned three pieces of Zyxel gear (the aforesaid switch and two NWA210AX APs) and been happy with all three. So that's a small sample but positive. The switch is still in use, though I recently retired the APs in favor of 6E-capable gear.

Yes, I'm using two of the QNAP QSW-1105-5T-US 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches.

No issues at all since the middle of 2021.

I have only run 3 Cisco switches in the last 15 years. They are a little over your price range but very dependable. I also ran for a very short time a Cisco switch with 10gig uplinks. It was too noisy in the summer. I was thinking of running it this winter, but Pfsense changes stopped that for now.

I don't own any 2.5gig devices yet. I only have 1 gig and 10 gig. Cisco does make 2.5gig switches.
Layer 3 is my thing with switches and Cisco is the best.

I had to sit down when I saw the prices you posted. I bought my Tp-Link TL-SH1008 back in July for £70 with discounts from my employer - so add about 25% onto that. It's a dumb switch but it hasn't let me down yet, and runs pretty cool. I've just a single spare port on it, but it seems to handle the mix of 2.5Gbps (3dev inc router), 1Gbps (2dev), and 100Mbps (2dev) just fine.
*My employer no longer carries any 2.5Gbps switches, and there seems to be more than one version of this switch - but it does work well!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!