What's new

Recommended 4G LTE device for WAN Failover use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What 4G / LTE Device do you guys recommend for a WAN Failover scenario? I'm using ASUS RT-AC86U so open to a device that sits in front of the ASUS -or- one that works with ASUS Dual-WAN features.

I've been trying to use a Teltonika RUTX11 but there are showstopper bugs in the 4G connectivity that keeps it connected when it should not be, and this uses data (keep-alives); which costs money.

TIA!

There is a bug in Asus WAN failover when you use LAN as 2nd WAN and Asus did not found solution or was not working on it for years.
LTE USB dongle working with AsusWRT or RMerlin are very limited too - very old ones like Huawei E3276 for example.

If you truly need it you need to look for different manufacturer solution like EdgeRouter, MicroTik or similar.

All solutions I used are taking small transfer of data from failover device to confirm it is connected/ active as idea of failover is to switch from main internet to secondary that user will not notice. It is not good idea when main line is down just to activate 2nd one as it take a time - failover mean to switch between not to "boot" a 2nd one.

There is a bug in Asus WAN failover when you use LAN as 2nd WAN and Asus did not found solution or was not working on it for years.
LTE USB dongle working with AsusWRT or RMerlin are very limited too - very old ones like Huawei E3276 for example.

If you truly need it you need to look for different manufacturer solution like EdgeRouter, MicroTik or similar.

All solutions I used are taking small transfer of data from failover device to confirm it is connected/ active as idea of failover is to switch from main internet to secondary that user will not notice. It is not good idea when main line is down just to activate 2nd one as it take a time - failover mean to switch between not to "boot" a 2nd one.

Teltonika RUTX11 was set to ping every 3 seconds... so its taking 2 megabytes of data a day. When paying for data by the Gig, that's not good.
As a work-around, I set Ping time to 21600 seconds (every 6 hours). At least that will not use much data.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!