What's new

Recommended 5 GHz PCI-Express adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morty_UA

Occasional Visitor
My Googling skills have failed me, so I could use a pointer or two. :)

I was planning to hook up my HTPC to my wireless network. It's on a Linksys WNDR3700, with the 2.4 GHz band running a 54 Mbps network for iPhones and such, and the 5 GHz band running a '300' Mbps network. In the apartment building where I live the 2.4 Ghz bands are incredibly busy, but the 5 GHz ones are free.

This question is a bit similar to, but not the same as, this one: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6141

Well, anyways, the above is how I had thought to lay out the LAN. So I went looking for a PCI-Express 300 Mbps NIC with support for the 5 GHz channels. But I can't seem to find any obvious candidates. A USB based NIC with an USB extension cable could also work, but would probably be slowed down by the USB interface?

Any pointers? Which PCI-Express NICs are generally considered 'the good ones' ?

You'll be better off using a wireless bridge. You'll have more options and more flexibility in placement for signal optimization. Use the Wireless Finder and filter for Bridge to find some purchase options.