What's new

Recommended cable modem/router for new Comcast Xfinity service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldserverguy

Occasional Visitor
We're finally getting high speed internet on our street after years of waiting - Comcast contractor has the outside plant installed. I already have 2 newer ASUS routers with my current DSL. One has the cameras, Raspberry Pi boxes and some other stuff. The second router runs Merlin and is our general network for PCs, MACs, phones, tablets, etc. Devices that don't need exact location services are in one IP block and the streaming boxes are in another and split between VPN and non-VPN.

I looking for a reasonable priced cable modem that has 4 ethernet ports and dual band WiFi. I don't intend to use the WiFi at all but I want it for a backup. I'm leery about attaching any USB storage so just a nice to have. Don't want any vendor software such as McAfee (which I see people have problems with sometimes) or a phone app to control my network - I like to use a directly connected device to do all my configuration work and review. Speed isn't a real issue as I'm frugal and will only order 30 or 60 meg service since that's all we need for standard or 4K streaming TV. My other requirement is that the company not be based in China (made in China is OK just not designed or controlled).

At the local Comcast store in Venice, FL the modems are basically Arris. Something as simple as the Arris SBG6900 looks OK but it's a 2015 model and I always like to find newer devices so that there is firmware support for at least a couple of years.

SO - thoughts?

We're finally getting high speed internet on our street after years of waiting - Comcast contractor has the outside plant installed. I already have 2 newer ASUS routers with my current DSL. One has the cameras, Raspberry Pi boxes and some other stuff. The second router runs Merlin and is our general network for PCs, MACs, phones, tablets, etc. Devices that don't need exact location services are in one IP block and the streaming boxes are in another and split between VPN and non-VPN.

I looking for a reasonable priced cable modem that has 4 ethernet ports and dual band WiFi. I don't intend to use the WiFi at all but I want it for a backup. I'm leery about attaching any USB storage so just a nice to have. Don't want any vendor software such as McAfee (which I see people have problems with sometimes) or a phone app to control my network - I like to use a directly connected device to do all my configuration work and review. Speed isn't a real issue as I'm frugal and will only order 30 or 60 meg service since that's all we need for standard or 4K streaming TV. My other requirement is that the company not be based in China (made in China is OK just not designed or controlled).

At the local Comcast store in Venice, FL the modems are basically Arris. Something as simple as the Arris SBG6900 looks OK but it's a 2015 model and I always like to find newer devices so that there is firmware support for at least a couple of years.

SO - thoughts?
Don't want a cable modem /router, when you combine the two, they lower quality for some reason. I use a Tp-Link TC-7610 8x4 cable modem with comcast 50mb service in florida vacation home, runs cool inside a lennar/ruckus/legrand network plastic inwall box, streams fine. Wirecutter.com recommends getting at least a 16x4, & claims cable cos. are phasing 8x4 out, comcast isn't. I would check their article, pcmag's and tomshardware's. If anyone does gaming, your choice is critical ! good luck

ps there are many favorites out there. even tho the tplink is chinese, from what i read it runs the coolest, with the lowest ping. lots of people like motorola, arris, netgear. best of knowledge, they all run warmer. stay away from anything with intel puma 5/6/7 chipset, you can check for that on wikidevi.com . Also, you may want to employ future proofing, if you're into that. (By getting a 16x4, 24x8, or docsis 3.1). whatever you choose, navigate to 192.168.100.1 , and change the password. On plain cable modems, all firmware updates are pushed to the modem by the cable co. (just config files, really). If you buy a modem that runs hot, you can just tape a cpu fan to it, but don't keep it in an enclosed space. Bad puma 6 modems: https://www.badmodems.com/

Last edited:

SO - thoughts?

As has been previously mentioned you would probably better off with a seperate modem and you already have two routers. Not sure what issues thay might have in switching from DSL to cable Internet. If one of the routers is an AC68 then you will be fine unless you want maximum throughput running a VPN client then you will need an AC86 or other higher end router with a processor that offers AES-NI support.

If you would be satisfied with a 16 x 4 modem I will make you a deal for $40 on an Aris SB6183. I also live in the Venice area and I used this modem with Comcast. I purchased it so it can be added to your account. I upgraded to a 32 x 4 modem when I gave gigabit service a whirl.

If you are interested in the modem let me know.

SO - thoughts?

Real comcast download max speeds, any brand cable modem:

8x4 docsis 3.0 214mbps
16x4 " " 431mbps
24x8 " " 630mbps
32x8 docsis 3.1 930mbps

note: most homes are stuck with cable, as fiber connections, which are far superior, are not always available

DOCSIS 3.0 - the SB6183 is a classic - reliable and stable...

It's a 16*4 device, and good up to 686 Mbps

The CableCo's tend to keep the firmware fairly current to meet security and interoperability with their equipment.

DOCSIS 3.0 - the SB6183 is a classic - reliable and stable...

It's a 16*4 device, and good up to 686 Mbps

The CableCo's tend to keep the firmware fairly current to meet security and interoperability with their equipment.

Pros of SB6183:
1. It has 1 Gigabit Ethernet port.
2. 16×4 Downstream and Upstream Channels.
3. Comes in white color, which is really pretty.
4. Supports latest internet standard ( IPv4 and IPv6 ).
5. It allows you HD multi-media Streaming on multiple devices.

Cons:
1. Unfortunately, this modem is Not compatible with AT&T, Verizon, and CenturyLink. May run warm