What's new

recommended settings for 1900P for ipads/iphone wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amd7674

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

My kids are complaining our wifi home connection is very leggy. Apparently they get disconnected from their games i.e. brawl stars. The wifi signal is strong when connected to 2.4ghz so I don't know what could be the problem. My son says if he connects to his cellurar provider LTE on his iphone, his game is fine. I'm attaching my 2.4Ghz settings (I'm using latest Merlin fw on my main router) and stable build on AP n66u router. Please see signature. This problem is not releated to the last fw, as kids were complaining about wifi connection for a long time. I don't have any issues on my iphone, however I do not play games.

Please let me know if you see some settings that might be impacting IOS/Apple devices.

Also if I'm not using 5Ghz should I disable it on both my router / AP? Both router (basement) and AP (2nd floor) seem to be too far to have them stable.

Thanks in advance... :)

Attachments

• router01.jpg
    router01.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 190
  • router02.jpg
    router02.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 187
  • ap01.jpg
    ap01.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 215
  • ap02.jpg
    ap02.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 254
Do they complain of lag when connected to: router, AP, or both? Do you have a Gigabit connection between AP and router?

Settings seem fine to me. Review Apple’s recommendations as well: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

Roaming between access points is mostly dependent upon code in each WiFi client. When I tried Roaming Assistant, it was more trouble than it was worth. It is for clients which do not know enough to try another access point when the signal strength drops below usefulness. That same code needs to reconnect to a closer AP.

I would use a long preamble if you have older WiFi clients or a noisy WiFi background.

I cannot think of any settings in general for Apple devices.

I don't think it matters whether you turn off unused 5 GHz.

If you think you are bumping into bandwidth limits, perhaps FreshJR QOS would more gracefully cope with the situation.

thanks Guys :)

Yes my AP is on Gigabit connection.

I will try long preamble on my main router. I just realized I had long on router and short on AP? Should I try long or short on both?

Also should I try to disable Roaming Assistant on both router and AP?

Use 5 GHZ! Set the mobile devices to use any of your assigned SSID's
Disable Roaming Assistant on AP and router for 2.4 and 5 GHZ
Different SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHZ on both AP and router
Enable beamforming
If you are using QOS try Manual/sfq set for 95% of your measured speeds. I find my AC66U_B1 does better with sfq than codel or fq_codel.
I use DoT with Quad9 and have very good results.

thanks Guys :)

Yes my AP is on Gigabit connection.

I will try long preamble on my main router. I just realized I had long on router and short on AP? Should I try long or short on both?

Also should I try to disable Roaming Assistant on both router and AP?
Long on both. 2nd priority.

Disable Roaming Assistant on both. 1st priority.

Long on both. 2nd priority.

Disable Roaming Assistant on both. 1st priority.

Should I keep same SSIDs or different once I disable Roaming assistant? bbunge above recommends having different SSIDs.

Should I keep same SSIDs or different once I disable Roaming assistant? bbunge above recommends having different SSIDs.
I would use the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and another SSID for both 5 GHz. Otherwise, the tendency is to always be on 2.4 GHz.