What's new

Recommended Settings for RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bdub76

Regular Contributor
I'm using it in AP Mode with the latest factory firmware. I'll try Merlin over the holidays.

What are the recommended settings for the bands today? For example, what's the ideal setting for OFDMA? What about beamforming? How about Target Wake Time given that I have both android and ios devices that have WIFI 6? But I use wifi calling on the ios device.

I was surprised that OFDMA isn't available on 2.4. I thought with WIFI 6 it was for both 2.4 and 5.

Thanks.

I'm using it in AP Mode with the latest factory firmware. I'll try Merlin over the holidays.

What are the recommended settings for the bands today? For example, what's the ideal setting for OFDMA? What about beamforming? How about Target Wake Time given that I have both android and ios devices that have WIFI 6? But I use wifi calling on the ios device.

I was surprised that OFDMA isn't available on 2.4. I thought with WIFI 6 it was for both 2.4 and 5.

Thanks.
Use the default WIFI to start. Even Dual Band Smart Connect if it is available in AP mode. You will get all kinds of recommendations but the default is the best as I have found out fiddling with this for over a year!

I mostly use the default settings, or otherwise as noted in my install notes. I do disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming... I noticed degraded speed on one 2010 client with UB enabled. I have enabled both WiFi Agile Multiband and Target Wake Time and have not noticed a difference, so keeping them enabled for now.

Be sure to reset the firmware to its defaults before configuring it.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

OE