What's new

Recommended USB Drive for Scripts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If the drive has been solid so far, keep using it.

Previous flash drives got hot.
PNY was plastic which melted it and when i pulled it out the plastic was deformed.
The itworks (very old one) is ok but any movement and its a problem.
Bought the sandsk friday...got the 100% cpus useage bug again on amtm...i think it may be diversion...but it was also very hot when i unmounted and took it out.

Previous flash drives got hot.
PNY was plastic which melted it and when i pulled it out the plastic was deformed.
The itworks (very old one) is ok but any movement and its a problem.
Bought the sandsk friday...got the 100% cpus useage bug again on amtm...i think it may be diversion...but it was also very hot when i unmounted and took it out.

I have more than one of the Samsung FIT drives. The first one is formatted EXT2 the second one EXT4 with Journaling ON. I have tried both USB ports and currently I am using the USB 3.0 port with the EXT4 drive.

I have noticed some heat at different times and I think that may be due to funky install issue or some scripts not playing well together. This last Firmware update to 384.10_2 made me do a complete reset and I wiped everything clean and started from scratch. (hard lockup after a Stubby upgrade, secondary to the firmware upgrade)

My Samsung FIT drive is currently barely warm.

Edit: 91.9F measured on the side near where the metal meets the body with laser infrared thermometer. 86F if measeured on the rear body where Samsung name is printed on the body.

I'm wondering if the overheating is due to a bad setup? Sounds like it's time to start over.

It would be a shame to waste the SSD due to burn out.

Last edited:
I have more than one of the Samsung FIT drives. The first one is formatted EXT2 the second one EXT4 with Journaling ON. I have tried both USB ports and currently I am using the USB 3.0 port with the EXT4 drive.

I have noticed some heat at different times and I think that may be due to funky install issue or some scripts not playing well together. This last Firmware update to 384.10_2 made me do a complete reset and I wiped everything clean and started from scratch. (hard lockup after a Stubby upgrade, secondary to the firmware upgrade)

My Samsung FIT drive is currently barely warm.

I'm wondering if the overheating is due to a bad setup? Sounds like it's time to start over.

It would be a shame to waste the SSD due to burn out.

I actually started this today.
Wiped and re formatted to ext 4 but from USB 3 to 2 on the sandisk.
Wiped manual skynet..everything that was on amtm and then amtm itself.

After the format i re did skynet then amtm.
I will give it a day or two then try diversion again.
I suspect its diversion.

I actually started this today.
Wiped and re formatted to ext 4 but from USB 3 to 2 on the sandisk.
Wiped manual skynet..everything that was on amtm and then amtm itself.

After the format i re did skynet then amtm.
I will give it a day or two then try diversion again.
I suspect its diversion.

Are you wiping the jffs partition as well?

First thing after a fresh wipe should be amtm. Use amtm to format disk. Then install other scripts using amtm menu. I would install Diversion first before Skynet.

Yeah.
Thats what prompted me to try again.

amtm installs to jffs partition (important that this be clean) , that's why you can format drive with it, it's not on the drive.
Once drive is formatted install Diversion and set up proper swap file then proceed to whatever other items you want to install using the amtm menu tree.

If the drive has been solid so far, keep using it.
I would not have other stored important files on it for this purpose, dedicated single use only.
No reason not to use a SSD drive other than some may view it as a overkill/waste.
If you're going to (mis-)use your router as a file server, an SSD drive is IMHO way preferable in terms of reliability. Also I would guess you might have better luck using USB 3.0 port in USB 3.0 mode since the electronics are some distance from the router.

I use an SSD because (1) I had one lying around (2) the thumb drive was getting hot (3) stories abound of thumb drives going bad (4) it's FASTER!! (not that I notice).

I have tested a few different USB drives from a 2GB Lexar to a 500GB T5 Samsung SSD. I tested both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 Modes in both ports and compared them.

I can see the speed differences when formatting, creating a swap file, installing and updating scripts (Diversion, particularly) and sometimes, this speed difference is dramatic on the T5 and USB 3.0 Mode, of course.

In actual use, the router/network runs the same whether using the fastest SSD on USB 3.0 Mode or the slowest/oldest USB drive on USB 2.0 Mode.

My advice? Turn off USB 3.0 Mode for maximum performance (minimum interference) of your 2.4GHz band radio and simply be a little more patient when installing, formatting and creating files. Save your money and just use the USB drive you have as a spare, today.

What I would recommend though is if the drive does run warm/hot? Use a short/medium USB extension cable on it and get it away from the router so it doesn't negatively affect it too. ;)

For those using pixelserv-tls, kvic built in a USB drive benchmarking test via -B switch.

This my SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (yes, it get very hot!)
Code:
[redacted]@RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# pixelserv-tls -B
CERT_PATH: /opt/var/cache/pixelserv
CERT_FILE: _.bing.com
 1. generate cert to disk: 42.170 ms    load from disk: 0.660 ms
 2. generate cert to disk: 48.337 ms    load from disk: 0.654 ms
 3. generate cert to disk: 27.764 ms    load from disk: 0.654 ms
 4. generate cert to disk: 27.471 ms    load from disk: 0.655 ms
 5. generate cert to disk: 35.158 ms    load from disk: 0.639 ms
 6. generate cert to disk: 24.457 ms    load from disk: 0.634 ms
 7. generate cert to disk: 23.913 ms    load from disk: 0.639 ms
 8. generate cert to disk: 39.471 ms    load from disk: 0.614 ms
 9. generate cert to disk: 30.383 ms    load from disk: 0.626 ms
10. generate cert to disk: 27.483 ms    load from disk: 0.644 ms
generate to disk average: 32.661 ms
  load from disk average: 0.642 ms
Here is the initial post announcing the -B benchmarking switch.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...bserver-for-adblock.26114/page-60#post-388055

My SanDisk Ultra did not survive a (rare for my area Southern California) power outage. I was using it as it was my "laying around" unit. When it failed, rebooted with jffs format 3 times, plugged in a 1TB USB Transcend external HDD, formatted it with AMTM, and all is well again.

I appreciate the advice here on brands to buy and avoid and the idea of hanging a thumb drive off the router with a short pig tail. Sounds like a good idea to avoid the heating issue.

My SanDisk Ultra did not survive a (rare for my area Southern California) power outage. I was using it as it was my "laying around" unit. When it failed, rebooted with jffs format 3 times, plugged in a 1TB USB Transcend external HDD, formatted it with AMTM, and all is well again.

I appreciate the advice here on brands to buy and avoid and the idea of hanging a thumb drive off the router with a short pig tail. Sounds like a good idea to avoid the heating issue.

1TB? You must have a ton of scripts running! :D:D

Need the experts to chime in here please regarding my questions:

I just purchased a new USB drive (Samsung Fit Plus 200MB/s, 3.1) to replace the current one I'm using on my 86U running amtm, Diversion, Skynet, Stubby and FreshJR QOS scripts).

1) is there a way to transfer/copy everything from the old USB drive to the new one - or is it recommended to format and reinstall all the scripts from scratch on the new drive?

2) is it recommended to use the 3.0 USB port or the 2.0 USB port on the Asus 86U?

Need the experts to chime in here please regarding my questions:

I just purchased a new USB drive (Samsung Fit Plus 200MB/s, 3.1) to replace the current one I'm using on my 86U running amtm, Diversion, Skynet, Stubby and FreshJR QOS scripts).

1) is there a way to transfer/copy everything from the old USB drive to the new one - or is it recommended to format and reinstall all the scripts from scratch on the new drive?

2) is it recommended to use the 3.0 USB port or the 2.0 USB port on the Asus 86U?

Please see the link in my signature to the amtm Step-by-Step guide.

The short version: start fresh to have the most stable configuration in the shortest amount of time. :)