What's new

Reduced Wi-Fi Connection speed with AC-68U using 380.62.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave281

New Around Here
On November 2 I upgraded the firmware in my AC-68U from Merlin firmware version 380.57.0 to 380.62.1.

Prior to upgrading the firmware, my typical Wi-Fi connection speeds using the 5Ghz band were 600 to 700 Mbps using a wide range of devices (Android phones and tablets & Windows laptops). After the firmware upgrade, the best I can do is 173 Mbps.

The only other change made to the router was to replace a 2 Gig USB drive with a 4 Gig drive (whose allocation table I changed to 64 kilobytes). I'm still only using 27% of the router's RAM & both CPU cores are reporting low numbers in heavy use.

Before the firmware upgrade my Speedtest.net connection speeds to the internet averaged 130 Mbps on Wi-Fi connected devices. Now, the speeds have been reduced to about 100 Mbps.

Comcast recently upgrade my connection, necessitating me to change modems on November 20th. I replaced a Surfboard SB6121 with a Surfboard SB6190. My results on Speedtest.net when connected via LAN, averages 240 Mbps. The results when connected via WAN are 100 Mbps.

Has the newer firmware done anything to the WAN connections?

No I didn't.

Prior to flashing my router with new firmware, should I reinstall 380.57.0?

Can I save my settings first, then restore the router to factory defaults, then flash new firmware, and finally restore my settings?
Or, do I need to go page by page through the settings and restore my settings manually once the router has been flashed?

No I didn't.

Prior to flashing my router with new firmware, should I reinstall 380.57.0?

Can I save my settings first, then restore the router to factory defaults, then flash new firmware, and finally restore my settings?
Or, do I need to go page by page through the settings and restore my settings manually once the router has been flashed?

Please read the links provided. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!