What's new

Refurbished rt-ac3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierino

Very Senior Member
I am thinking of picking one of these up from newegg. Both the new and refurb have gotten bad reviews on there yet the rt-ac88u got pretty good reviews from buyers, even though they are the same unit nimbus the extra switch for the extra 4 lan ports. I don't get it.

So I looked at the reviews for the netgear r7800. It has a lot of good reviews on newegg. Much more feedback than the asus units.
I prefer asus over netgear but worried about the user feedback.

Plus Tim gave the netgear a better review than the asus.

Anyone here with positives on the rt-ac3100?

I don't get it.

My personal opinion? Reviews posted on online retailers are mostly useless. You have zero background info, many of these have also zero troubleshooting skills and will blame the product for issues that are often totally unrelated.

Quality-wise, the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC88U are the same thing. Only difference is the extra switch on the RT-AC88U, which means in the worst case scenario, the AC88 is MORE likely to have issues not found on the AC3100, not the other way around.

Thanks Eric, kind of what I thought too.
Leaning towards the r7800. Just because it's a different chipset than my rt-ac86u B1.

I am thinking of picking one of these up from newegg. Both the new and refurb have gotten bad reviews on there yet the rt-ac88u got pretty good reviews from buyers, even though they are the same unit nimbus the extra switch for the extra 4 lan ports. I don't get it.

So I looked at the reviews for the netgear r7800. It has a lot of good reviews on newegg. Much more feedback than the asus units.
I prefer asus over netgear but worried about the user feedback.

Plus Tim gave the netgear a better review than the asus.

Anyone here with positives on the rt-ac3100?

If you read the feed back carefully you get the feeling most are PnP crowd. Once in a while real nerd kind uploads with some useful info. I happen to own both routers, R7800 and RT-AC3100. In my use they are neck and neck in performance but Asus one has more things to play with feature wise. Big turn off for NG routers is inability to use Putty, and such. When I tried to help a stranger with his router problem, I asked,"Can you ping the router?" Answer was "What is ping?" NG has something called Genie which is making people with NG routers lazy and dumb, IMO, LOL!

Does the new telenetenable work with the r7800? Have you tried?

Both the new and refurb have gotten bad reviews on there yet the rt-ac88u got pretty good reviews from buyers, even though they are the same unit nimbus the extra switch for the extra 4 lan ports. I don't get it.

Used to be that user reviews were relevant on websites - but these days, it's an easy system to game... e.g. not grass root inputs, but astroturf...

I was hoping someone would post if they had any experience with the refurbished units.

I was hoping someone would post if they had any experience with the refurbished units.

Only thing I can think of is Broadcom chips run bit warmer than Qualcomm chips. Maybe the temperature has something to do? I am not sure. Newegg was listing them on eBay.ca with free shipping.

I picked up a refurb AC68P from Newegg about 6 months ago....comes in plain packaging, looked like new, but didn't come with the ethernet cable or CD. 90 day warranty. Been running trouble free.

Wait until the end of the month to buy....they have a refurb sale starting around the last week of every month.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!