What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.63_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, so I'll wait till December, 1st and see if something changes there
So, it's December, 1st today, and there's an entry appeared in monthly stats "12.2016" with amount of traffic.
Here's the question, maybe it needs a look - if I reboot my router somewhere in mid-December, do I have to wait again for the next month for monthly data to appear?

I think it has to be activated anytime, not just 1st day of every month...

Last edited:
I'm on an older version (from October). Can I just download the newest and upload into the settings and that's it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any custom script or config? I do not recognize this interface name (Broadcom normally uses eth1/eth2 or fwd0/fwd1).
None at all.

Hmm, don't think I did. The help I received in the forums said that unmounting it was enough, so I never bothered to try with the USB stick removed.

I know with my AC87U is way more sensitive to the USB key being connected than my N66U, so have been removing it to do the updates.

So, it's December, 1st today, and there's an entry appeared in monthly stats "12.2016" with amount of traffic.
Here's the question, maybe it needs a look - if I reboot my router somewhere in mid-December, do I have to wait again for the next month for monthly data to appear?

I think it has to be activated anytime, not just 1st day of every month...

Yeah, I think it should really start recording for the current month. It seems that whatever triggers it to start recording monthly data doesn't happen until the 1st of the next month. I've kinda figured that since I am not saving it to USB or anything it would never have more than 1 or 2 months anyway. I do have the Traffic Analyzer Statistics enabled and that seems to keep its data between reboots and flash upgrades. I can check a month's usage there.

Hey all,

Anyone an idea why my cpu temp is so high after update to the latest firmware?
RT-AC56U
Firmware:380.63_2
Uptime 0 days 16 hours 14 minute(s) 10 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 80°C

Is it not dangerous to run on this temp?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Anyone an idea why my cpu temp is so high after update to the latest firmware?
RT-AC56U
Firmware:380.63_2
Uptime 0 days 16 hours 14 minute(s) 10 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 80°C

Is it not dangerous to run on this temp?

Thanks!
That looks normal to me as long as it doesn't crash. My router's CPU runs at about the same temperature as yours so do my WiFi chipset. My CPU temperature is always about 80°C even before 380.63_2. However, it will be better for you to consider putting an active cooling system(USB fan for example). Your CPU temperature should not be over 90°C, but keeping it lower won't hurt.

But before update it was ~ 60 °C... And the room temp is pretty cold there ~ 20 °C. And the cpu usage is 0%-10% max.

But before update it was ~ 60 °C... And the room temp is pretty cold there ~ 20 °C. And the cpu usage is 0%-10% max.
That is different then. My router's temperature is always around there since 380.60, and my room is way hotter, 25-30°C right now. Have you tried doing factory reset?

The firmware has no impact on temperature. You probably last checked soon after turning on the router, which was why it was lower.

You was probably on channel 1,6,11 on 20mhz and now on 40mhz and overlapping
Try a fixed channel 1,6,11 on 20 mhz to test

I am seeing the following entry in my system log:

Nov 29 15:50:18 kernel: Interface wifi0 doesn't exist

Is this something I should worry about? My router seems to be running without any issues.

Do you have any custom script or config? I do not recognize this interface name (Broadcom normally uses eth1/eth2 or fwd0/fwd1).

None at all.

Could be yet another peculiarity specific to the RT-AC87U then.

For what its worth it hasn't reappeared in my system log.

My experience is this firmware is unstable on ac87u. Experiencing same problems as others with restarts several times a day and upnp issues. Turning off traffic analysis improves reliability with restarts dropping to every few days or more but Asus have broken something in this firmware. Will be more cautious in upgrading in the future.
My experience with this firmware and every single other one I have used on my 87 is they are all rock solid and stable. I have never had a single issue. Maybe you should do some digging into your settings and environment and search for a problem there.

Hi all,

Just upgraded from 378.52 to 380.63_2

Everything I use are working well as expected.

Its just that I have this log when I connect to my openVPN instance. Is there anything I can do by myself to mitigate it, or I'm gonna have to wait for a new Merlin firmware for a fix?

Of course its not actually causing any issues but would be nice to have a clean connection log, now that I'm on the latest firmware....after not updating for over a year and a half!! :p

I'm guessing we are seeing this because asus openVPN service uses 3DES and not AES256?

INSECURE cipher with block size less than 128 bit (64 bit). This allows attacks like SWEET32. Mitigate by using a --cipher with a larger block size (e.g. AES-256-CBC).

EDIT: the warning doesn't show anymore after changing the encryption cipher under the openVPN server to AES-256-CBC and reexporting the ovpn file.

Last edited:
I'm guessing we are seeing this because asus openVPN service uses 3DES and not AES256?

Some ciphers like Blowfish will now generate this warning, since around the OpenVPN 2.3.12 release. You can either ignore it, or switch to AES-128-CBC, which is more secure, and possibly even faster (AES code is better optimized in OpenSSL than Blowfish).

AES-128-CBC is enough, no need for 256-bit (which would be much slower).

Some ciphers like Blowfish will now generate this warning, since around the OpenVPN 2.3.12 release. You can either ignore it, or switch to AES-128-CBC, which is more secure, and possibly even faster (AES code is better optimized in OpenSSL than Blowfish).

AES-128-CBC is enough, no need for 256-bit (which would be much slower).

Noted Merlin, will make use of AES-128-CBC instead of 256, there's no much point in me stressing the AC68U CPU too much!

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Note that OpenVPN's "Default" cipher was Blowfish. What I did in 380.63 was make the default cipher be explicitly "AES-128-CBC" instead of "Default". That way, after a factory default reset, anyone configuring a VPN without changing the cipher will use a secure cipher. And people with existing configuration having it set to "default" will keep working as before with Blowfish (since the word "default" still refers to the OpeNVPN built-in default, namely BF).

Since upgrading to this new release on my RT-N66U I have been having trouble with the DHCP settings page. The webUI navigates to the page, but it is missing the navigation side bar and top menu bar and the apply button does not work or make any changes. Any suggestions?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!