What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ndnd
Did it sync the proper time on its own? You didn't have to run the date command this time?
That is correct. It did go back to correct time on its own. I will disable DNS/Ping and wait 24 hours and see if the clock maintains SYNC. If it doesn't then maybe just leave DNS/Ping on for now. Troubleshoot this thing later in this router. (I have two)

The ntpclient works independently of the dns/ping monitoring. It just needs to be able to resolve the NTP server name to an IP address, but the DNS-based monitoring isn't required.

My system is:
router 2 on AsusWRT Stock running NORDVPN > router 1 on AsusWRT Merlin 384.12 > Cable Modem.

I have been fiddling with the features of router 1 and got the date to update/sync properly. This morning when I got up and started my computer, my NORDVPN on router 2 wasn't working. Using a tablet and accessing the internet I saw that I had access when I bypassed the NORDVPN and connected through router 1.

Checking network log on router 2, I see the same thing as I used to see on router 1, the clock on router 2 is now 14 months out of date. When I SSH'ed into router 2 and manually set the correct "DATE " and tried accessing internet on router 2 it worked.

It just needs to be able to resolve the NTP server name to an IP address.
I imagine that router 2 was always able to reset/sync clock in the past, since I never had issue using my Paid VPN service configured on that router. After the changes in router 1, router 2 can't reset/sync clock automatically. sooooooo.... have some further tweaking to go.

I have concluded that my "red lights of death" are caused by my cable modem disconnecting. All the lights stay on, it doesn't lose sync. Modem log's look horrible! Signals look fine. Too many T3's, dynamic range bla bla bla. PITA!
At least I know that my 86u is 10 times better than that netgear ax12! It was unusable with 2.4 ip cams. Super slow ac and usb3 connections too.

Last edited:
Does Asus know that there is a memory error i had router on for 5 days and i saw jffs error or something like that stating there is a memory leak. Is it fixed in any merlin firmwares or we have to wait for memory managment to be fixed on official asus firmware and merlin one ?

I imagine that router 2 was always able to reset/sync clock in the past, since I never had issue using my Paid VPN service configured on that router. After the changes in router 1, router 2 can't reset/sync clock automatically. sooooooo.... have some further tweaking to go.
You may want to start your own thread to get more visibility since it is not likely specific to the 384.12 release anymore. Include what DNS servers router 2 is configured to use under WAN DNS.

The ntpclient works independently of the dns/ping monitoring. It just needs to be able to resolve the NTP server name to an IP address, but the DNS-based monitoring isn't required.
You can also use IP addresses for the NTP servers, particularly when having issues. It saves the lookup. :)

What's your setup? DoT? Resolver? Scripts? Is it a signal drop or service drop?

It's a simple router setup . The 87U is a main router and RP-68U ( access mode ) wired to it. Not using DoT, resolvers or any scrips. 5Ghz wifi just dis-appears for a few seconds. Maybe debug logging would help to see any errors?

You may want to start your own thread to get more visibility since it is not likely specific to the 384.12 release anymore. Include what DNS servers router 2 is configured to use under WAN DNS.

I have my Asus RT-AC running Merlin 384.12 reboot every morning at 5:30. Reviewing the "system log" for that time period I see that there is a 32 second window in which the router reverts to May 4, 2018 until the "ntpd" service restarts and sets the time/date correctly automatically. Without know why it reverts, I guess for this router thats the best I can do. I'm happy! ;) Yes, I think I will try and troubleshoot my second router issue alone.

Just another thought:
If I were to configure router functions settings via SSH rather than the Merlin GUI, if you look on the AsusWRT Merlin 384.12 GUI would that show the appropriate new settings/switch/Yes/No etc?

Just another thought:
It doesn't bother me, (more of an aestetics thing) but I did notice that after we got the DoT working on AsusWRT Merlin 384.12, looking at Network Map > Internet Status:

For just a fraction of a second the <Network Map > Internet Status:> does show my "normal" connection to my ISP (a very short flickering), then it stays "Disconnected" even though I clearly have a connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-31 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-31 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Network Map.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Lost power last night, WAN & DDNS came back up but could not access internet at all. I could remotely access DDNS but nothing further. Couldn't ping anything from PC.

I've attached log, hope it helps.

Using Skynet & ChkWAN, disabled Skynet but still no internet access.

I turned firewall off/on, & all working again.

This issue has existed for quite some time in similar variation ie internet access but can't remotely access network & visa versa, & each time restarting firewall fixes it.

Is there some way to have script/fix that looks after this?

Attachments

• router_syslog_20190809.txt
    340.7 KB · Views: 386
Hi everyone. I had to recover settings on my RT-AC66U B1. I use v. 384.13.
I lost my server certificate. Status is only "uploading"
Then i saw that
Can i resolve that problem?

Better try the thread for 384.13, or better yet start a new thread.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!