What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for explanation.
I have following option "Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes)" - disabled. Should I enable it? Or it is not necessary?
I have it switched off. Linux is very well capable of managing the memory itself. If you use a VPN client, it actually work faster and more stabilized with the flush off. I have scheduled a reboot every 24 hours (which "resets" your memory as well) but only because this contributes to an improved VPN client connection with my VPN provider, as I have experienced over time.
Other thing: if you use a Samba USB drive connected to your router: it spikes up the "used RAM" very fast. A NAS would always be better in such case. Routers are no good file servers.

Hello,
dirty flash upgrade with my AX88U from .15 to .16.
Looks all good for me.
Thks !!!

Should I enable DMZ if I can't set the modem to bridge mode? What's the downside to having a double NAT?

Should I enable DMZ if I can't set the modem to bridge mode? What's the downside to having a double NAT?
Double NAT causes all kinds of problems.
Why can't you bridge the modem? Just curious....
Next best thing to bridge mode is DMZ. But the DMZ needs to be done on the modem - not the router.
DMZ IP address needs to be the IP of your router.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Double NAT causes all kinds of problems.
Why can't you bridge the modem? Just curious....
Next best thing to bridge mode is DMZ. But the DMZ needs to be done on the modem - not the router.
DMZ IP address needs to be the IP of your router.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
It's a modem with proprietary hardware and software, I don't have a bridge mode feature, I just have DMZ.
What kind of problems does double NAT create?

Router (AC86U) and Access Point (AC68U) both up >5 days on 384.16, rock solid with no issues - thanks again @RMerlin!

RT-AX88U user here, I did a clean upgrade (factory reset - load FW - factory reset). No wifi issues here at all, in fact the wifi looks better than it has in the past but that may just be bias.

That being said, I'm still having periodic issues with loading the network map tab. Since that's the default login page, it means sometimes I can login without refreshing the page multiple times.

I seem to be having a similar problem to immi803 but with my ac3100. Since going to 384.16 my 2.4 is hosed. Devices will connect to the 2.4 but they seem to have such a low speed that even trying to access the router config page times out. I can see devices connected to

for my Iphone i am seeing on the wireless log page:
1/144 as the rx/tx with -52 dbm and
and its only 10 feet away above the router. the router is on the top shelf of the basement wall rack under my living room. I tried resting and reconfigureing router and same problem.

I am wondering if the radio is bad. I have to say these ac3100 seem to have 2.4 ghz hardware issue. When i first got it i returned 2 to best buy the first one the 2.4 wouldn't even brodcast out of the box. The second one died with in a month.

@axaro1
Is the modem provided by your ISP? If yes, did you talk to them regarding bridge mode on the modem? I've seen some in the distant past where that was done remotely by the ISP techs. But as it stands, that may explain (some of) your buffer bloat issues.

Mounted my RT-AX88U on a AC Infinity Airplate S7. This is usually used for cabinet cooling, but mounted on a frame that supports the plate works great. Just make sure if you are using one of these to make sure the cradle width is 7". Mt setup has the router about 8" about the table where the routers is located. Pictures are big so you can see what I did. This plate is very quite and has a speed control which gives you 3 speeds. I run on low and it is more than enough cooling. I am waiting now for some filters from AC Infinity so I can remove grills from bottom of plate and replace with filters screens to keep dust at bay.
3IAX17Y
I5LHePu
3IAX17Y.jpg
I5LHePu.jpg

Last edited:
@axaro1
Is the modem provided by your ISP? If yes, did you talk to them regarding bridge mode on the modem? I've seen some in the distant past where that was done remotely by the ISP techs. But as it stands, that may explain (some of) your buffer bloat issues.
I'll try to contact them, ty for the tip

@axaro1

His ISP may be like many were there modem/Gateway is required for authentication there is no true bridge mode. ATT is like that all they offer is IP Pass or DMZ mode. It's like a semi bridge mode but not a true bridge mode.

@Gary Van Antwerp
Mounted my RT-AX88U on a AC Infinity Airplate S7
It looks cool... However, if it starts sneezing, stay away from it - router2human viruses are not uncommon (symptoms are lost nights, various stages of nerve tingling etc.) Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!