1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Release] dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bigeyes0x0, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Xentrk

Xentrk Part of the Furniture

Many consider dnscrypt to be deprecated now that DNS over TLS (DoT) is available. Support for DoT was added to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware in 384.11 release:

dnsprivacy.org has a good summary of the DNS privacy solutions on their site as does tenta.com.

2. sbsnb

sbsnb Senior Member

You still need DNSCrypt if you want to use OpenNIC servers.

3. Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu New Around Here

@JaimeZX

Thank you for the information, I shall try following your guide and setting things up. It seems though that AMTM is still installed directly on Jffs area, is that okay or would a USB flash drive be better?

@Xentrk

Thank you for those resources, but I've already come across and read them. However I also came across https://dnscrypt.info/faq/ page where it states pros and cons of each DNS protocol and according to that page it looks like Dnscrypt is the safest of all and DoT seems to get a lot of thumbs down. I am not sure how accurate the information is, but that's one of the reasons why I really like to set up dnscrypt-proxy v2 on my RT-AC86U. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  4. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Part of the Furniture

Of course the website about dnscrypt is going to "big-up" its own protocol...

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

DNSCrypt is a proprietary standard, while DoT is an approved IETF standard. That alone should seal DNSCrypt's fate.

LimJK, L&LD and JaimeZX like this.
  6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Senior Member

A USB drive is still flash memory... but I'm running everything on the USB drive. I didn't think you could install it on the router directly?

7. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Yes, but it’s cheaper to buy a new USB drive than a new router when it’s worn out.

Sun Tzu and JaimeZX like this.
  8. Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu New Around Here

So when you install AMTM using your guide, does it install it to USB flash drive or JFFS on the router?

9. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Sun Tzu likes this.
  10. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Look here, this is my house. I bought it and it has a nice front door. But I always use the back door because someone told me the front door hinges might wear out some day.

Grisu, rk8531, L&LD and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu New Around Here

Thank you everyone for your help. I have set up the amtm succesfully, formatted the USB flash drive and installed entware. Afterwards I also installed dnscrypt using the instructions on the first page of this thread. Really happy it works. :) Is it possible to install dnscrypt on the USB flash drive? It seems that amtm doesn't support dnscrypt anymore, so can't do it that way.

Thanks again.

12. Zastoff

Zastoff Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Kingp1n, popxunga and Twiglets like this.
  13. SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Regular Contributor

14. rk8531

rk8531 Regular Contributor

:D:D:D