What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ever since I've changed my password for OpenDNS (both on OpenDNS site and within config for dnscrypt), I see this in log...

dave: OpenDNS: Wrong username or password

Even tho I've updated username & password to match OpenDNS (my OpenDNS password contains symbols (like &!#@ etc) as well as alpha-numeric)

Any ideas how to fix, as tried a reconfigure (several times).

Last edited:
Ever since I've changed my password for OpenDNS (both on OpenDNS site and within config for dnscrypt), I see this in log...

Even tho I've updated username & password to match OpenDNS (my OpenDNS password contains symbols (like &!#@ etc) as well as alpha-numeric)

Did you reconfigure your opendns setup within the installer giving it your new user name and password? If that doesnt work i recommend an uninstall and reinstall.

Yes and I've just done an uninstall then reinstall.

Waiting to see if this has solved the issue.

OK and thank you

The only other user end issue i can think of is weird symbols used within the password or username that may not be supported by the code.

Username is my email address, but my new password uses symbols as well as alpha-numeric, whereas my old password was just alpha-numeric.

Looks like it all working again, as that error usually cropped up in logs within 10 minutes. Nothing so far.

Also, now getting 'dnscrypt enabled (xxxxxxx)' text in output again for this command...
Code:
nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com

Last edited:
Hi, just installed it, but is it working, how to check?
I used dnscrypt via simple dnscrypt for years on win7 machine and now decided to shift that on router, installation went OK and everything seems OK,
BUT during the years I made my blacklist mostly with wild characters for ex:

*windowsupdat*
*wipmania*
*wirefox.co*
*wns.windows
*wpbeginner*

1 - I tried to connect to wirefox.com and web site had opened in my browser which means filtering is not work?
2 - I saved my windows blacklist.txt as unix formated and copy/paste to jffs/dnscrypt/blacklist.txt and also domain-blacklist.txt is this OK?
3 - During installation I was proposed to choose Anonymized DNS and now in dnscrypt-proxy.toml I have this entry
routes = [ { server_name='*', via=['anon-ibksturm', 'anon-meganerd'] } ] - obviously there are 2 servers - I suppose that it should be only 1 to speed up operations?
4 - Is it possible to see somewhere filtering in real time like with Diversion with f - follow dnsmasq.log - I suppose that dNScrypt filtering won't show there?
5 - If I made changes to blacklist and save it how I can be sure that changes are accepted - I probably need to restart dnscrypt service to accept changes - how?

Thanks

I used dnscrypt via simple dnscrypt for years on win7 machine and now decided to shift that on router, installation went OK and everything seems OK,

*windowsupdat*
*wipmania*
*wirefox.co*
*wns.windows
*wpbeginner*

1 - I tried to connect to wirefox.com and web site had opened in my browser which means filtering is not work?
2 - I saved my windows blacklist.txt as unix formated and copy/paste to jffs/dnscrypt/blacklist.txt and also domain-blacklist.txt is this OK?
3 - During installation I was proposed to choose Anonymized DNS and now in dnscrypt-proxy.toml I have this entry
routes = [ { server_name='*', via=['anon-ibksturm', 'anon-meganerd'] } ] - obviously there are 2 servers - I suppose that it should be only 1 to speed up operations?
4 - Is it possible to see somewhere filtering in real time like with Diversion with f - follow dnsmasq.log - I suppose that dNScrypt filtering won't show there?
5 - If I made changes to blacklist and save it how I can be sure that changes are accepted - I probably need to restart dnscrypt service to accept changes - how?

Thanks
Have you enabled filtering part in dnscrypt-proxy.toml? (removed the # in front of blacklist_file = 'blacklist.txt')
Seems to be a blocked log option there also that can be enabled

3) DNSCrypt-proxy only use one relay server and it is randomly chosen by the proxy when it starts (so you can have several relays, The installer has a built in restart of the proxy to randomize relays)

Thanks I will check that ... (removed the # in front of blacklist_file = 'blacklist.txt') - you are right it was commented - so that is resolved.
3) OK, so if I have more of them selected it doesn't matter there will be no additional hops - thanks, just to clarfy if I don't choose one relay servers will not be used at all?

*windowsupdat*
*wipmania*
*wirefox.co*
*wns.windows
*wpbeginner*

Thanks
you have make sure you personalize those within your filter(blacklists) and .toml file. those are not automatically blocked in dnscrypt-proxy 2, here is some links for more information:
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Filters

you have make sure you personalize those within your filter(blacklists) and .toml file. those are not automatically blocked in dnscrypt-proxy 2, here is some links for more information:
thanks will check that.

Today I was cleaning the keyboard and ..... deleted whole dnscrypt folder from jfss (don't ask how) ... so... I reinstalled it and it was not working, so I did it maybe 8-10 times together with skynet, diversion etc etc and after 6 hours of trying I found that I enabled blocked.log in dnscrypt-proxy.toml and program was not able to make that file, so I made it by myself in WinSCP but file was not created even if there was no any error and apparently file was created...but it was not there, so I created it in Windows and transfer it to root/jfss/dnscrypt and finally everything works but I'am presently unable to make dnscrypt-proxy.log to work, it is enabled in conf file but nothing is written inside, any ideas?
Thanks

Today I was cleaning the keyboard and ..... deleted whole dnscrypt folder from jfss (don't ask how) ... so... I reinstalled it and it was not working, so I did it maybe 8-10 times together with skynet, diversion etc etc and after 6 hours of trying I found that I enabled blocked.log in dnscrypt-proxy.toml and program was not able to make that file, so I made it by myself in WinSCP but file was not created even if there was no any error and apparently file was created...but it was not there, so I created it in Windows and transfer it to root/jfss/dnscrypt and finally everything works but I'am presently unable to make dnscrypt-proxy.log to work, it is enabled in conf file but nothing is written inside, any ideas?
Thanks
Your troubles baffle me. I suggest opening an issue with dnscrypt proxy 2 github. Or following instructions in their very detailed faq section. Since this installer does not enable/ disable logs for dnscrypt-proxy, this appears to be a dnscrypt-proxy issue and not a dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer issue.

Your troubles baffle me. I suggest opening an issue with dnscrypt proxy 2 github. Or following instructions in their very detailed faq section. Since this installer does not enable/ disable logs for dnscrypt-proxy, this appears to be a dnscrypt-proxy issue and not a dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer issue.

Already checked their FAQ, but nothing related to this. When dnscrypt is installed dnscrypt-proxy.log file is commented in dnscrypt-proxy.toml so to make it work it need to be uncommented which I did. Maybe it is related to property of the file, somewhere I saw that but can't remember after now almost 10 hours of battle. Just enabled querry.log (that file is working and logging) and created file have properties - group: nobody; owner: nobody, but my dnscrypt-proxy.log has properties - group: root, and owner: my login name - I don't know how to change that in WinSCP since it gave me error:

Command 'chgrp "nobody" "dnscrypt-proxy.log"' failed with return code 127 and error message -sh: chgrp: not found.

However most of the files (probably 75%) in dnscrypt folder has properties - group: root, and owner: my login name.
Answer to my problem is probably something very simple but...I don't see it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!