What's new

NVRAM [Release] NVRAM Save/Restore Utility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only other thing I can think of is to try a different SSH client. I use MobaXterm.
I run Linux, so the standard x-term is all I have installed. It works on everything so far, but I will explore other Ubuntu options after some research.

Thanks for the reference to the dhcpstaticlist.sh script. I knew something like that existed (from casual reading of SNB Merlin forum), but didn't remember the name or any details.
Running it, I see that my dhcp_staticlist only uses 1051 bytes (after some cleanup in the WebGui), I don't think I'll move it to dnsmasq.conf at this time. I've managed to get my NVRAM usage down to 63300 (still high enough to trip that "!" warning in the Gui), so I'll still keep looking for other things to purge. But there's no emergency.

Related to this purge, in NVRAM on my 68U, I notice there are two maclists for each interface (ex: wl1.1_maclist and wl1.1_maclist_x). Same MACs, different format. I assume one is an obsolete hold-over from older firmware. Assuming this is an example of obsolete settings, is it safe to unset the old one?
Not sure about those nvram vars. They are empty on my router. I did a search on the nvram low topic and see many matches. This post may be of some help.

Not sure about those nvram vars. They are empty on my router. I did a search on the nvram low topic and see many matches. This post may be of some help.
Thanks. That removed ~10K of empty settings name. Now NVRAM down to 50K and that's plenty of headroom.

Update: spoke too soon. After a reboot it went up to 61K. Oh well - still an improvement and the "!" warning is gone.

Last edited:
After running an update using "amtm', and choosing "8" for "nsrum", I chose number "2" to "Check for updates to existing installation", which updated the files mentioned in a few posts before, but at the "amtm" menu, when pressing "u" to check for updates, it shows their is a "min upd" still available.

This time I went back into nsrum and chose a force the update over the installation, which it worked, and then came back to amtm, and pressed "u" again to check updates, and it still shows a "min upd" is still available.

Is this a change or check that "amtm" is not seeing the files as being changed or their checksums are still different?

Should I post this instead under the amtm thread?

After running an update using "amtm', and choosing "8" for "nsrum", I chose number "2" to "Check for updates to existing installation", which updated the files mentioned in a few posts before, but at the "amtm" menu, when pressing "u" to check for updates, it shows their is a "min upd" still available.

This time I went back into nsrum and chose a force the update over the installation, which it worked, and then came back to amtm, and pressed "u" again to check updates, and it still shows a "min upd" is still available.

Is this a change or check that "amtm" is not seeing the files as being changed or their checksums are still different?

I just did that check, however a choice #5 showed up that I cannot see now, it cleared too quickly. Now the amtm "u" check shows no upd.

Glad you got it sorted out.

There was an update to the menu to fix a typo. The version number did not change. I believe amtm just checks for a new version but I have to verify. The NVRAM Save/Restore Utility Installation menu will check to see if the version or checksum on the router is different from the version or checksum on GitHub. If so, it will display Option 5 to update the installation menu.

Hi,
With the update to 384.15 I bit the bullet and did the M&M config on my main router RT-AC86U. The NVRAM Restore did the trick.

Almost everything is back the way it was before. One exception - the AiMesh node running on an RT-AC66U_B1 was fully functional after the restore on the main router. However, the interface on the main router did not show the node - AiMesh Node: 0. That was an easy one to solve with a reset to factory default of the node an rediscovering it from the main router.
All in all, i much appreciate your effort to revive and re-actualize an older script. Thank you!

Hi,
With the update to 384.15 I bit the bullet and did the M&M config on my main router RT-AC86U. The NVRAM Restore did the trick.

Almost everything is back the way it was before. One exception - the AiMesh node running on an RT-AC66U_B1 was fully functional after the restore on the main router. However, the interface on the main router did not show the node - AiMesh Node: 0. That was an easy one to solve with a reset to factory default of the node an rediscovering it from the main router.
All in all, i much appreciate your effort to revive and re-actualize an older script. Thank you!
I don't have an AiMesh node to test on so your feedback is appreciated. I looked a the change log and see the note about the manual update step. Not sure if that explains your experience.

384.13 (31-July-2019)
- NEW: AiMesh Router and node support. Note that automatic live
update of Merlin-based nodes is not supported, you will have
to manually update any Merlin-based nodes when a new firmware
is available. Asus-based nodes (which is recommended) will be
able to make use of the automatic live update.

My wife is scheduled to be out of town in March for one weekend. I can convert my RT-AC68U access point I use on my pfSense appliance to an Asus node and do some testing during that time.

Yes, I'm aware of that node firmware update change log entry.
I'm running the Asus F/W on the node as recommended, and it updated itself alright.
What my note is about, is the fact that the node (although doesn't show connected on the main router) works just fine. I have three hard wired devices and some wireless ones attached to the node and after the nvram restore they kept on working - no disconnection. It's just the interface of the main router that shows no node attached. And as I mentioned the fix was quite simple and fast.

That’s a relief: so I’m not the only one then....
so that means we're a few.

happy wife means happy marriage ;)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,
I plan to migrate from a RT-AC68u (O) to a RT-AC86U (D). I ran the save script without any parameters on the O router for the last stable versions (384.14_2 & 384.15) and alpha (384.16 Alpha1) . When running the restore script, it shows a list of existing backup files - it behaves just as described on the GitHub page.

Now, after I ran the save script for migration purposes
Code:
sh nvram-save.sh -m

instead of the list of existing backup files I get

Code:
Last nvram save/restore (nvram-restore-202002271840_RT-AC68U-MIGR.sh)
WARNING: Last nvram-save MAC address (MIGR)
  does not match current router MAC  (7046)!
This may be valid if you are migrating settings from one router to another

If you wish to use a different restore file, answer N and specify the
  restore file id the command line in the form
  yyyymmddhhmm-mmmm
Do you want to proceed [Y/N]?

After running another save without parameters, the restore script shows the expected backups with the migration one marked as MIGR.

Would it be possible to present the list of backups after a migration save without the need to run another save without parameters?

Last edited:
Hi,
I plan to migrate from a RT-AC68u (O) to a RT-AC86U (D). I ran the save script without any parameters on the O router for the last stable versions (384.14_2 & 384.15) and alpha (384.16 Alpha1) . When running the restore script, it shows a list of existing backup files - it behaves just as described on the GitHub page.

Now, after I ran the save script for migration purposes
Code:
sh nvram-save.sh -m

instead of the list of existing backup files I get

Code:
Last nvram save/restore (nvram-restore-202002271840_RT-AC68U-MIGR.sh)
WARNING: Last nvram-save MAC address (MIGR)
  does not match current router MAC  (7046)!
This may be valid if you are migrating settings from one router to another

If you wish to use a different restore file, answer N and specify the
  restore file id the command line in the form
  yyyymmddhhmm-mmmm
Do you want to proceed [Y/N]?

After running another save without parameters, the restore script shows the expected backups with the migration one marked as MIGR.

Would it be possible to present the list of backups after a migration save without the need to run another save without parameters?
I can look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. My first objective for the project was getting the code cleaned-up and making it Posix compliant rather than adding a lot of features. It took a lot of time to dig into the code and understand what it was doing.

Did you also run the nvram-hnd-migr.sh script to handle the migration of nvram parms from a non-HND router to an HND router? I really need some feedback on how well it worked.

Last edited:
@Xentrk - now that it looks like the RT-AX58U could make it to the Merlin supported list I'm on a holding pattern with the upgrade. I'll certainly let you know of my findings when the upgrade time comes.
On a different note, my previous post was not about a feature request. It was my observation that the restore script output is not consistent after a save without options and a migration save. The difference is that after a migration save you are not presented with a listing of current nvram-restore backup files, but rather with the message I mentioned in my previous post. I do indeed appreciate the time and effort it takes to work on all these scripts and for that I have so much to be thankful for...

@Xentrk - now that it looks like the RT-AX58U could make it to the Merlin supported list I'm on a holding pattern with the upgrade. I'll certainly let you know of my findings when the upgrade time comes.
On a different note, my previous post was not about a feature request. It was my observation that the restore script output is not consistent after a save without options and a migration save. The difference is that after a migration save you are not presented with a listing of current nvram-restore backup files, but rather with the message I mentioned in my previous post. I do indeed appreciate the time and effort it takes to work on all these scripts and for that I have so much to be thankful for...

Thank you @Torson. I appreciate the clarification. I will look into it after I finish the updates to x3mRouting.

Hello, I am trying to migrate from an ac88u to an ac86u, unfortunately the restore aborts with "Restore Router Model MISMATCH - ABORTing". ????

FW: 384.16_beta1

thanks for help...

Are you running in Migration mode, -m ?

Hello, I am trying to migrate from an ac88u to an ac86u, unfortunately the restore aborts with "Restore Router Model MISMATCH - ABORTing". ????

FW: 384.16_beta1

thanks for help...
Please do me a huge favor, refer to the usage information for the nvram-hnd-migr.sh script that will handle the nvram variables stored in /jffs/nvram on HND routers. Please report back on your experience. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.