What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.18 -June 15, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jesus Christ. Sorry everyone. Worked after I restarted my router and tried again.
Thank you 🙏 (really) for coming back and letting us know, it’s always great to have feedback and really helps improve the knowledge base.

Love it when posters asking for help come back (especially if it works, but even if it doesn’t), especially when folks have spent some time trying to help out identifying the issue. Cheers 👌👍

Last edited:
Hi,

If you have TAILMON installed, then press C for the config menu, then P, it should update it for you, but I see it gives you an error. Hmmm.

A RT-AX3000 (per your pic) should be ok, not sure what platform it is referring to. I am assuming the Router is v1, as the RT-AX3000 v2 does not support Merlin and you did mention “on Merlin”; plus you apparently have TAILMON installed (per your pic), so your router must support Merlin.

With Tailscale v1.46.1 installed (again per your pic) however, it seems you did not install Tailscale via amtm/TAILMON (with entware)? I ask, as the TAILMON Addon installs version 1.58.2-1, as the base version.

Perhaps try uninstalling, then reinstalling TAILMON (from within amtm), which should install all the dependencies, including entware?

This will give you a starting version v1.58.2-1, after which you can then do a C, P update to v1.66.4.

Let us know how you get on, feedback is always super useful, any kind.

@Viktor Jaep, interesting scenario here, in that it appears (from the supplied pic) that TAILMON was either (i) successfully installed on top of an old Tailscale (manual?) install but without updating the installed binaries or (ii) maybe an older version (v1.46.1) of the Tailscale binaries was placed over the TAILMON/entware v1.58.2 install.

Either way, for the first scenario (which I will admit is unusual), maybe an item for a future TAILMON update, to somehow check for a current Tailscale install and remove it/overwrite it (if it currently does not do that)? Might be a bit fiddly as any manual install wouldn’t be using the entware-based install directories…
Unfortunately, even though I re-install tailscale after uninstall it, it didn't work. It still stays on v 1.46.1. And I gave it a try with amtm, but neither did it. Is there any way to forcedly update it?

Unfortunately, even though I re-install tailscale after uninstall it, it didn't work. It still stays on v 1.46.1. And I gave it a try with amtm, but neither did it. Is there any way to forcedly update it?
It looks like you're running the wrong architecture of Entware for your router. Are you using an Entware installation that was copied from an old router like the RT-AC68U?

What output do you get from these commands?
Code:
uname -a
opkg update

Coming back to my favourite add-on after being away for a while due to work commitments and very happy to see all the great tweaks and updates. Using another fantastic addon here (BACKUPMON - multiple thanks to @Viktor Jaep again), I noticed the following and wondered as to the significance of this "Tailmon: socket ignored line" and whether it indicates something important or not. Everything seems to work as it should:

Tailmon Socket.png

It looks like you're running the wrong architecture of Entware for your router. Are you using an Entware installation that was copied from an old router like the RT-AC68U?

Code:
uname -a
opkg update
I have a RT-AX3000 v1 so I thought I’d run the uname -a command on it just for fun and realized whilst my main router, which is what I tested Tailmon on, is aarch64 the RT-AX3000 is armv71. I attach uname -a outputs from both my RT-AX86U and RT-AX3000.

i don’t have entware installed on the RT-AX3000 (it’s just an AIMESH node) but it would be interesting to see what version of tailscale gets installed on it when entware is installed under amtm.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Coming back to my favourite add-on after being away for a while due to work commitments and very happy to see all the great tweaks and updates. Using another fantastic addon here (BACKUPMON - multiple thanks to @Viktor Jaep again), I noticed the following and wondered as to the significance of this "Tailmon: socket ignored line" and whether it indicates something important or not. Everything seems to work as it should:

View attachment 59042
That's perfectly normal! It's some kind of temp file that the screen tool has open and locked. It doesn't need to be backed up and is transient.

View attachment 59042
Here's mine... again, perfectly normal... ;)

1716933786724.png

Code:
uname -a
opkg update
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ohnggni@RT-AX3000-8A98:/tmp/home/root# uname -a
Linux RT-AX3000-8A98 4.1.52 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 26 21:59:43 EST 2024 armv7l ASUSWRT-Merlin
ohnggni@RT-AX3000-8A98:/tmp/home/root# opkg update
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is what I got from the commands.
Is there anything special?

Thanks, when did you first install Entware on this router? It looks like it might be this problem.

I suspect the solution is to uninstall Entware and reinstall it making sure that it uses armv7sf-k3.2.

Alternatively you could try downloading the "arm" static build from here. Then extract tailscale and tailscaled, copy them to /opt/bin and restart tailscale.

I suspect the solution is to uninstall Entware and reinstall it making sure that it uses armv7sf-k3.2.
@ohnggni: I believe Colin is correct (as usual).

Here (in the sequence of 12# pics below) is my RT-AX3000 entware install from amtm (from scratch), followed by the TAILMON Add-on install (which installs 1.58.2-1) and then a Tailscale update (via TAILMON) to 1.66.4. All working well.

Note that the default entware install on the RT-AX3000, from the amtm menu, does not appear to include any tailscale package (at all), so presumably your 1.46.1 version was from a previous entware (or manual tailscale) install.

HTH. Let us know how you get on.

k.

Last edited:
Thanks, when did you first install Entware on this router? It looks like it might be this problem.

Alternatively you could try downloading the "arm" static build from here. Then extract tailscale and tailscaled, copy them to /opt/bin and restart tailscale.
according to your guide, I've unzipped and copied two files and finally updated in the latest version! Thanks!

@ohnggni: I believe Colin is correct (as usual).

Here (in the sequence of 12# pics below) is my RT-AX3000 entware install from amtm (from scratch), followed by the TAILMON Add-on install (which installs 1.58.2-1) and then a Tailscale update (via TAILMON) to 1.66.4. All working well.

Note that the default entware install on the RT-AX3000, from the amtm menu, does not appear to include any tailscale package (at all), so presumably your 1.46.1 version was from a previous entware (or manual tailscale) install.

HTH. Let us know how you get on.

k.

This weekend I'll re-install the entware as your recommendation. Thank you!

This weekend I'll re-install the entware as your recommendation. Thank you!
Great 👍🏼. Probably a good idea to get you back to a good base setup for this Addon and any other installs needing entware.

Note when you do that you will likely get 1.58.1-2 first then you can update to 1.66.4 again using TAILMON.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Love the work that you have done, however I have an issue I am trying to solve. When I install Tailmon I get an error: Illegial Instruction. I have tried installing through amtm and installing manually but haven't been successful. I have an RT-AC5300 running 386.9. Let me know what you would recommend I try.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

1717033110443.png

Greetings,

Love the work that you have done, however I have an issue I am trying to solve. When I install Tailmon I get an error: Illegial Instruction. I have tried installing through amtm and installing manually but haven't been successful. I have an RT-AC5300 running 386.9. Let me know what you would recommend I try.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

View attachment 59062
From your screenshot it appears you have the exact same issue as ohnngi had above.

If you look at the upper part of your screenshot it refers to installing Tailscale v1.46.1-1, which is an older version of Tailscale, that the older version of entware on your router has installed. The error therefore appears to be due to you running an old version of entware, with an old version of Tailscale that is not compatible with TAILMON or commands it configures.

If you uninstall TAILMON AND then uninstall entware (from amtm), then install entware anew, then install TAILMON again, you should see the same Tailscale v1.58.1-2 install as ohnngi. After that, just configure it (unless you selected express install) and simply update Tailscale to 1.66.4 from within TAILMON.

The underlying issue is the old version of entware (and the version of Tailscale it installs) on your machine. Note that uninstalling entware may affect other addons (will affect those that depend on it) but hey, it’s time for an update :). Note also that per the thread referred to by Colin in the post above, attempting to "update" entware from within amtm does not work. The analogy given by the dev for amtm is that attempting an entware 'upgrade' (as opposed to a fresh install) it is akin to a Win32 to Win64 Windows upgrade i.e. better start from scratch.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
From your screenshot it appears you have the exact same issue as ohnngi had above.

If you look at the upper part of your screenshot it refers to installing Tailscale v1.46.1-1, which is an older version of Tailscale, that the older version of entware on your router has installed. The error therefore appears to be due to you running an old version of entware, with an old version of Tailscale that is not compatible with TAILMON or commands it configures.

If you uninstall TAILMON AND then uninstall entware (from amtm), then install entware anew, then install TAILMON again, you should see the same Tailscale v1.58.1-2 install as ohnngi. After that, just configure it (unless you selected express install) and simply update Tailscale to 1.66.4 from within TAILMON.

The underlying issue is the old version of entware (and the version of Tailscale it installs) on your machine. Note that uninstalling entware may affect other addons (will affect those that depend on it) but hey, it’s time for an update :). Note also that per the thread referred to by Colin in the post above, attempting to "update" entware from within amtm does not work. The analogy given by the dev for amtm is that attempting an entware 'upgrade' (as opposed to a fresh install) it is akin to a Win32 to Win64 Windows upgrade i.e. better start from scratch.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the quick response, and the walkthrough. I uninstalled TAILMON, and then uninstalled entware, and reinstalled entware through amtm. It did install Tailscale through amtm, and it installed v1.58.2-1. However, same issue, illegal instruction and attempting to update Tailscale from TAILMON I appear to have the latest version (v1.58.2-1).

Should I install entware without utilizing amtm?

Thank you for the quick response, and the walkthrough. I uninstalled TAILMON, and then uninstalled entware, and reinstalled entware through amtm. It did install Tailscale through amtm, and it installed v1.58.2-1. However, same issue, illegal instruction and attempting to update Tailscale from TAILMON I appear to have the latest version (v1.58.2-1).
Hmm, sorry to hear that, but this is good error trapping, so stay with us on this one please :).
I'm waiting for @ColinTaylor who can probably answer this in his sleep. In the meantime:
  1. First off, did you do a router reboot after uninstalling TAILMON and entware, so you started fresh for the entware re-install?

As a side note, you should not need to check and update entware packages (from amtm) once entware is installed as the latest ones should all be there if you do a fresh install.

2. Secondly, are you confident your USB Drive on which entware is installed is formatted properly and not borked somehow? Just a thought, something to rule out.

3. Lastly, looking briefly at error messages, there seem to be a few sites quoting that "illegal instruction" error message in relation to the tailscale armv7sf-k2.6 package and armv7sf-k3.2 package.

Give us a bit of time to have a look at that, this is a wee bit outside my knowledge-base sorry. Whilst I have seen some suggestions regarding removing tailscale and installing the tailscale_nohf version of the tailscale package i.e. the version that has “nohf” in its name, again, I apologise but I simply do not know enough about it to be able to recommend that you do this at the moment. The tailscale_nohf versions appear in the context of both the older (v1.46.1-1) packages and newer packages (v1.58.2-1).

4. If you could give us some installation logs or just SSH screenshots (like mine above) of your (from scratch) entware, then Tailmon installs, it might help identify what is going right and what might be going wrong. This would help identify e.g. what Colin Taylor noted above i.e. wrt which version it installs, although with 1.58.2-1 showing up as you noted, it appears that the version is correct.
Should I install entware without utilizing amtm?
As above, you could try, but if you can wait a little while, it would be better if we could get you to go through the normal steps, so the underlying issue can be identified for the benefit of others and it can be fixed in TAILMON (if that is what is needed) or specific instructions developed for amtm/entware (if that is what is needed).

As an aside only, because I don’t ‘think’ it affects this Add-on (although I cannot say for sure), but with 386.9 you’re running FW that is 14months and nearly 7 versions older than the current FW.

Last edited:
So on my to-do list...

1.) Determine if I can figure out what entware version is installed, and if it's below a certain threshold, put a stop to running the script until that version has been updated.
2.) Do more error/status checking on the install of tailscale entware packages, and during the startup of the service/connection... and if it errors out, present better messaging around that, and potentially stopping the script in order to do more troubleshooting.

Hello

I’ve been asked to move my question here even though I don’t think it was Tailmon related per-say but rather in setting up Tailscale for site to site. But maybe someone here will be able to guid me.

I need help to setup a Site-to-site connection using Tailscale (1.66.4) with two RT-AX86U_Pros running on the latest Merlin firmware

Both routers have Tailmon install. First one has 192.168.1.0/24 advertised. The other has 192.168.2.0/24. I have set both to --accept-routes --snat-subnet-routes=false. All settings are allowed through Tailscale admin page. I have also set routing in:

LAN—>Route—>Static routes to yes

In router A with ip 192.168.1.1: Network 192.168.2.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 interface: LAN

In router B with ip 192.168.2.1: Network 192.168.1.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.2.1 interface: LAN

Tailscale is connected but still non Tailscale devices can’t reach or ping the devices in the other network

Only Tailscale devices can reach the whole network.

Can anyone please point me to what am I messing?

Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!