What's new

Remote access VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We're reading the same story yet we understand differently. cool.

Using unique, strong, random 16+char passwords with MFA is the way to go. Teamviewer is still safe
I hope we aren't going to end up with a locked thread. MFA is a huge help over a strong password. I think the issue is that you are dependent on a third party server to which the host computer is always attached; same for some VPN solutions. The OpenVPN route takes that third party out of the equation.

Also, the OP isn't necessarily looking for RDP; she's looking for security (maybe the Starbucks thing) and file access (maybe home NAS or NextCloud).

Last edited:
I hope we aren't going to end up with a locked thread. MFA is a huge help over a strong password. I think the issue is that you are dependent on a third party server to which the host computer is always attached; same for a some VPN solutions. The OpenVPN route takes that third party out of the equation.

Also, the OP isn't necessarily looking for RDP; she's looking for security (maybe the Starbucks thing) and file access (maybe home NAS or NextCloud).
There's plusses and minuses with whichever route you go with. I'm just strictly dropping my 2 cents here for its ease of use compared to running your own OpenVPN server... but really, have at it. I fully support going the OpenVPN route. It's available, so why not use it! Luckily there's lots of alternatives.

I'll acknowledge that some folks have concerns with TeamVIewer...

That being said - properly deployed, it's no less secure than any other option out there...

Hi folks, I did have one follow-up question. In the logs for the OpenVPN connection, I get recurring non-critical but persistent errors regarding MTU config mismatch:

WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1541', remote='link-mtu 1557'

Where 'local' is actually the machine where I'm remoting in from and 'remote' is the home router. In the WAN settings on my router I can see under 'Special Requirement from ISP' a setting for 'WAN MTU' but modifying this to try to match doesn't seem to have any effect. Presumably I need to change this setting in the OpenVPN config file that's used to setup the connection? Or is this trivial enough not to bother?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!