What's new

Repeater - low speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Volfi

Regular Contributor
I'm using RT-AC86U as main router and RT-AC88U as a repeater. They are connected via 5GHz link, 80MHz, running at 4 AC streans and around 1600Mbps connection @ -50dBm.

My cable modem gives me 550/55 Mbps connection. However, I am not able to go above (around) 320Mbps real transfer rate when connected to the repeater. Main router can utilise full bandtwith.

How to speed this up?

There's no 160Mhz on AC88U and AC86U.

Sorry still not implemented, similar GT has it.
You could try repositioning routers and antennas and try other fix channels.

Only option will be hard wired to get full speed.

Channels do not matter (tried that).
-50dBm is a very strong signal between both routers.
And yes, it seems like a firmware / not finished problem.

Same goes for AiMesh speed, which is just a repeater with settings propagation from main router to mesh one. 320Mbps is a maximum I can get on mesh routers.

Repeaters cut bandwidth in half due to constant need to be in contact with the router they're repeating for. Much better would be to use access point but it requires pulling a cable

Yes, but 1600Mbps (between routers) / 2 = 800Mbps, in theory more than sufficient for cable modem's 550Mbps. But in real life gives just 320.

Yes, but 1600Mbps (between routers) / 2 = 800Mbps, in theory more than sufficient for cable modem's 550Mbps. But in real life gives just 320.

1600 Mbps (as advertised) is theoretical and you'll never reach it. Even in a near perfect environment you'll have a hard time reaching it. I don't know why you get such lower speed. Sorry can't help further :)

Backbone connection is pretty solid.
I think it's Asus limitation of some sort :(

Attachments

• repeater.png
    repeater.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 300
Hi, note that real world transfer speed is usually already half of the wifi bandwith you are connecting to, so if again you are using a router in the middle as a repeater then it would be 1600/2/2 which would be around 400mbps to be expected - assuming the client-repeter speed is also 1600. By the way, how and at what speed are you connecting to the repeater router ? (not the router - repeater connection but the client-repeater one).

Last edited:
Client - router connection is 5GHz AC (2x), giving 866 Mbps to 1Gbit+ connection speeds.
Good enough for 550Mbps data transfer from main router, but not from a repeater.

What do you think to get?
Throughput is about half of connected speed, so as said divided by 2.

You get 320Mb/s at the end, so you will need 600Mb/s link speed with overhead included.
You only have lets say 1000Mb/s from router to repeater, leaving 400Mb/s or 40% of the time for the connection to the client which is connected even slower with 800Mb/s.
40% of 800Mb/s are exactly what you get: 320Mb/s

Would be better if it really could use Mu-MiMo, but I dont think it is done in real life.