What's new

Replacement for N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Get one AX86S and see how it goes. The price is right and it fits well your needs. If you have Wi-Fi issues there is older firmware working well.

AX86U is the better router, but I don't know if you are willing to spend $100 more for something you may not need any time soon. If $100 is not a big amount for you - get AX86U instead. Both have the same Wi-Fi, AX86U has 2x more RAM, 2x more CPU cores and 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port.

If you expect/hope to get another 10 years out of a new router, the RT-AX86U is more desirable (even at that price premium).

For even better bang-for-the-buck and a much more balanced and modern hardware and RF design, the GT-AX6000 is about the best you can hope for. With sales, it is around the price of the RT-AX86U (that's how good of a value it is).

I just re-read the 1st post of this thread and thought to myself "Y'know, my N66 is still working too. Yes, the radios are disabled and it's just a switch...but it's still moving packets"

OP, the replies here are giving you advice to buy an AX-series WiFi6 capable router...and while it has yet to be seen, the Asus AC-series stuff (like my AC86) is also pumping along for the better part of a decade like our N-series machines. That should be plenty of comfort/confidence for you to go forth and spend on a new piece of equipment from this manufacturer.

$200 every decade or so on networking equipment is an equipment cost in the range of pennies per day (and with the way they've been devaluing lately...but I digress). I respect that you're riding it like you've stolen it, til it drops. The dual (core?) processor of the AX86s will blow your current machine away, not the least of which because there's a whole pile of new memory and the radios can go a whole bunch faster. and then the AX88 and AX86u open the capabilities up that much more with quad processors that are double (triple?) the speed of what you have now.
we haven't even asked what your package speeds are - do you have gigabit service from your ISP? An AX router will make the portal to the greater internet that much more transparent if you do.
You'll be fine with any of the routers that have made it to the medal podium in this thread. Good Luck, and Happy Holidays. I'm sure you'll let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

(like my AC86)

@heysoundude, a new script was released, optimized for AC86U routers. Take a look:

Merry Christmas!

One of AX86S routers is waiting for you at BestBuy and Canada Computers. Adopt it before it finds a different home. CAD180 is the lowest price so far for this router. No need to overpay for features you don't need and there is no future proofing with mostly disposable home routers. Merry Christmas!

An AX86S is on its way.

Thanks again for all your help.
I just got mine from Amazon yesterday and have been setting it up. Hopefully it has better manufacturing QC than my AC86. Not on my home network so haven't been able to see how WAN link aggregation works but WireGuard client was easy to get working. Don't have enough WAN speed to test if WG is faster than the 160 - 200 Mbps I could get on Open VPN clients.

I just got mine from Amazon

Share your experience with Wi-Fi performance of AX86S compared to AC86U. My AX86U is noticeably weaker. Got one AX86S for a friend of mine - weaker too. Less wall penetration and lower link rates to existing AC clients especially on 36-48 channels. About 4-6dBm lower sensitivity on 5GHz band.

All the best in 2023, Captain!

Share your experience with Wi-Fi performance of AX86S compared to AC86U. My AX86U is noticeably weaker. Got one AX86S for a friend of mine - weaker too. Less wall penetration and lower link rates to existing AC clients especially on 36-48 channels. About 4-6dBm lower sensitivity on 5GHz band.

All the best in 2023, Captain!
Will do. On the road until mid January. Best to you also in 2023.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!