What's new

Replacement for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pranoyTen

New Around Here
Currently I m using the RT-N66U. (I know its old). I m looking to upgrade to a new one, I m just curious as to what would be a good replacement option. Should I wait for any new releases?

I just don't wanna buy something for it to be outdated quite soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

It depends entirely on what your requirements are. Ask yourself, what is it that you can't do (or want to improve on) with your current router.

Currently I m using the RT-N66U. (I know its old). I m looking to upgrade to a new one, I m just curious as to what would be a good replacement option. Should I wait for any new releases?

I just don't wanna buy something for it to be outdated quite soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are running either the last official Asus firmware or, the last RMerlin version (both of which are well past their due dates) and you just want to be more secure but do not necessarily need more features or performance, the LTS RMerlin fork from john9527 is the best option for you.

If you are looking to upgrade the network performance then an RT-AC86U is your best buy today. Powered by RMerlin firmware, of course. :)

The RT-AC86U has more throughput than all my previous routers, including the RT-N66U I started with many years ago.

It is also less expensive (wait for it to go on sale if you can for an even more exceptional price) than the RT-AC3100 which was my 'standard' for many years. See the link to the RT-AC3100 performance in my signature below and know that the RT-AC86U is better in throughput. ;)

As others have asked, what is it specifically you want from a new router? The suggested RT-AC86U covers many use cases and is the router to buy today, but it is possible that a better match may be available for you if your needs are that specific. :)

I would also recommend the AC86U. I purchased mine not because I needed it, I just wanted it and I got a good deal on it used. It replaced my AC68U which replaced my N66U which my son is still using. The 86U will be supported for several years to come so that will meet one of your needs. The N66U is no longer supported by Asus but is supported by john9527 as L&LD pointed out. So decision time. Do you need/want a new router or just upgrade what you have that is working and will probably be working for several more years???:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!