What's new

replacement to RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spend a few minutes using 'Better search' if you don't want to believe me. My experience mirrors the observations of others on these forums too.

well, I know the search option. But what is "better search" ?
And how should I search to see the flaws of AX88U ? What are the correct keywords ?

My RT-AC88U seems dead as I described in the following thread:
A question - how did the extra 4 ethernet ports on AC88U worked out for you? ;)

what do you mean ?
Router stays on the entrance of the house and there are Cat6E cables to each room. These are connected to the ports on the AC88U.
I have the same router (RT-AC88U). The ports 5-8 are so temperamental, that for my own sanity I've stopped using them altogether long time ago. In fact for the functionality a good L3 switch provides, I personally think it's better to use just one and then a downstream switch. I know you're trying to avoid extra device and maybe you've had one of the lucky Realtek charms in your possession, but I just don't trust Asus with reliability on those extra ethernet ports. I'd be weary of AX88U for that reason alone (extra money for extra hassle). But it's your decision, no one here is trying to force you to make one, just giving you insight and share experience.

Look at the top of the page. Better search is there.

RT-AX88U RT-AX86U search terms.

I also understand you love the AX86U and that it has worked good for you and your customers.

Ask how the company is called, website, services provided - he/she and all the happy customers should be proud to provide this information for you. ;)
* This person has no registered business in IT and no real customers. If you want to search, you'll find how he/she ended up in my ignore list.

Router stays on the entrance of the house and there are Cat6E cables to each room.

Your current AC88U is still a capable router. It can do Gigabit on wired and up to 500Mbps to common 2-stream AC client on wireless. Do you really need to upgrade? The broken power button issue may be solved in few different easy ways: It can be replaced (the switch is like $1.60, but you have to wait for delivery), shorted on ON position (2 contacts only, I believe) or held on ON position mechanically (a drop of superglue will do the trick). Feel free to upgrade to whatever model router you like, but don't expect miracles. Your wireless clients are limited by their own radios. Your wired clients may not notice at all few ms lower latency. What's your ISP speed and now many devices do you have? If under 400Mbps and 30 devices, I would keep the AC88U.

I have the same router (RT-AC88U). The ports 5-8 are so temperamental, that for my own sanity I've stopped using them altogether long time ago. In fact for the functionality a good L3 switch provides, I personally think it's better to use just one and then a downstream switch. I know you're trying to avoid extra device and maybe you've had one of the lucky Realtek charms in your possession, but I just don't trust Asus with reliability on those extra ethernet ports. I'd be weary of AX88U for that reason alone (extra money for extra hassle). But it's your decision, no one here is trying to force you to make one, just giving you insight and share experience.

I really don't understand what you mean by temperamental. I've been using them on my AC88U and they are really stable.
They reach to other switches in other rooms and carry several devices' traffic each.
Besides, AC88U and AX88U are different, so we can't judge AX88U with what you see as a problem on AC88U.

>> I'd be weary of AX88U for that reason alone (extra money for extra hassle).

I believe some of you really don't read what I'm trying to tell. AX88U is not extra money for me. Vise versa, AX86U is extra money for me. I found AX88U locally , but AX86U I can get only with additional tax internationally. Please get it, I am not paying extra for AX88U.

>> no one here is trying to force you to make one, just giving you insight and share experience.

The problem is, very few people are really sharing experience. Nobody has put here some concrete and real bad experience about AX88U.
And the statements here are not like just insight. On the contrary, I get them like people are trying to urge me to get AX86U instead of AX88U.

Guys, maybe you are really trying to help. Maybe AX88U is not the best choice and maybe AX86U is better than AX88U.

But you are forgetting something here. I am an owner of a AC88U and AX88U is unquestionably a good upgrade.
If you check my original post, you will see that I asked for cheaper alternatives like AX56U , AX58U, AX68U and any other models that are Merlin supported.
But then I realized that I should go with AX88U or AX86U.
Then I also realized that I could get AX88U easier, cheaper and faster.
Then I also decided that I need the 8 switch ports.

So, I really don't understand why you are trying to push me towards AX86U which I am not able get easier or cheaper compared to AX88U.

Both AX86U and AX88U are an upgrade to my AC88U.
I have around 50 IP devices at home and Asus ZenWifi AX Mini XD4 which supports AiMesh.

I had the XD4 Aimesh because I need Wifi6 for my Oculus Quest 2 devices.
My uplink is just 100Mbit/s so that is not the main requirement.
But I use the AC88U with many applications. I have my own scripts running on it to get per device stats on my Grafana server.
I also use VPN feature on the router (both as client and server inbound)
So it is already using most of its RAM and CPU power. With the double RAM on AX88U, I believe I will get better performance with less non-responsive states.

If there is no major flaws/problems with AX88U, I will go with it.

You should upgrade to AX86U immediately, @AntonK.

Edit: Much better signature now. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Select: Thread titles
Keywords: RT-AX88U RT-AX86U
Posted by:
Results: 0
Limit: 500

funny ...

Really? That's what you got out of my suggestions?

Doesn't sound like you want to learn anything further. You've made up your mind already.

Guys, maybe you are really trying to help. Maybe AX88U is not the best choice and maybe AX86U is better than AX88U.

But you are forgetting something here. I am an owner of a AC88U and AX88U is unquestionably a good upgrade.
If you check my original post, you will see that I asked for cheaper alternatives like AX56U , AX58U, AX68U and any other models that are Merlin supported.
But then I realized that I should go with AX88U or AX86U.
Then I also realized that I could get AX88U easier, cheaper and faster.
Then I also decided that I need the 8 switch ports.

So, I really don't understand why you are trying to push me towards AX86U which I am not able get easier or cheaper compared to AX88U.

Both AX86U and AX88U are an upgrade to my AC88U.
I have around 50 IP devices at home and Asus ZenWifi AX Mini XD4 which supports AiMesh.

I had the XD4 Aimesh because I need Wifi6 for my Oculus Quest 2 devices.
My uplink is just 100Mbit/s so that is not the main requirement.
But I use the AC88U with many applications. I have my own scripts running on it to get per device stats on my Grafana server.
I also use VPN feature on the router (both as client and server inbound)
So it is already using most of its RAM and CPU power. With the double RAM on AX88U, I believe I will get better performance with less non-responsive states.

If there is no major flaws/problems with AX88U, I will go with it.
I purchased an RT-AX86U before Merlin firmware became available for it and I had some problems with it (I think from memory, it was something to do with traffic data not displaying and also sometimes on rebooting from the GUI, the router would fail to restart, just like used to happen with the RT-AC86U), so I sent it back and purchased an RT-AX88U, which has worked flawlessly. Also, in my case, I was able to move the router to the top of the stairs (the best location in my house) and wall mount it (which you can't do with the RT-AX86U), feeding all the cables down from the loft space above, which looks really good and has also enabled me to use a UPS for the power supply.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 22_07_2021 , 18_34_00.png
    Screenshot - 22_07_2021 , 18_34_00.png
    722.2 KB · Views: 99
I really don't understand what you mean by temperamental. I've been using them on my AC88U and they are really stable.
They reach to other switches in other rooms and carry several devices' traffic each.
Besides, AC88U and AX88U are different, so we can't judge AX88U with what you see as a problem on AC88U.
I too have started having issues with ports 5-8. I was unable to access my HG612 plugged into one. Moved it to port 1. All ok now. Similarly with one of my ILO devices. I am running 384.19 - VPN performance went down by 30% post that, but not convinced it might have been better to stay on a much earlier version. When I was on 384.14_2 it was pretty stable and no ethernet issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!