What's new

Replacing 2 Routers on 2 Networks...any single solution for both?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dark54555

New Around Here
To make a long story short, my Netgear WPN824 has not been getting along with my apple products since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and my parents earlier version of the same router hasn't ever totally satisfied them in terms of range, so both are up for replacement. Here's the respective networks and primary concerns/issues:

Me
Wired (house is wired Cat-6):
-PS3
-Xbox360
-D-Link 8 port Gigabit Switch
--Desktop PC
--Tivo HD
--Tivo
--HP Printer (built in ethernet)
--Other Desktop PC
Wireless:
-Wii
-DSi
-iPhone 3GS
-iPad (soon)
-MacBook
-HP Notebook running Ubuntu

Most of the time, it's only the items on the switch, the macbook, and iPhone actually running, but all those devices are around.

Main concerns: I need stability and speed. Having to reset our router every few days (which I've managed to extend slightly by setting up static IPs, and I have a feeling the mac issues with DHCP may be partly to blame) is annoying and one of the primary drivers for the upgrade. I haven't had issues with online gaming with the current router, though some sort of QOS would probably be a plus.

Parents:
Wired:
-Desktop PC
Wireless:
-PS3 (primarily a blu-ray player and a way to show pictures on the TV, possibly also streaming audio or home movies...not really for gaming beyond simple puzzle titles on the PSN)
-iPad
-Laptop PC

Though, visitors (my sister, for example) often being in other laptops (mac and PC), iPhones, etc. on the wireless.

Main concerns: Reliability and range. I'm sure many of you are probably in similar situations where you have people who look to your guidance for these kinds of things, and as much as I don't mind being light tech support, I don't want to have to troubleshoot this thing often (if at all) after the setup. Also, there has always been an issue for wireless reception in this house. The house is shaped like L. Imagine the . is the wireless router and the L is the house. To date, I still can't get wireless signal in all rooms, though this netgear was a huge improvement over the previous Linksys (WRT54G, I think). I've seriously considered trying to run cable to a second access point, but the way the second story sits on the house, it would be a real challenge to get the AP to anywhere that would be really useful.

So, here's where I am. Is there a single solution that would work for both, or do I need to be looking at two different routers? I've certainly researched this to death, and it seems to me like top contenders would be:
Linksys E2000 or E3000
D-Link DIR-655 or 825
Netgear WNDR3700
Apple Airport Extreme (possibly with an Express to extend the range in my parents house, pending some practical testing)

Or should I be looking at a higher end router for myself and a lower end router and a range extension of some sort for them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buy two WNDR3700. For access point go with WZR-300NH (optional move) only if you need the extended coverage. Higher end equipment, then you would have to buy R450G wired gig router this one has double ram 256MB then get wireless access point from radiolabs.com which are 600mW to 1000mW (1watt). I looking at the R450G myself then use a high power 802.11g/n AP only. No 802.11b don't need that.

Coverage issues are best solved by moving the router or AP closer to the area where you are having trouble. Next best thing is adding a second AP, connected via Ethernet to the first.

Wireless repeaters are a last resort because they will reduce throughput by at least 50% because a single radio needs to receive then retransmit. And for best performance, they need to be located closer than you might think to the primary router. You do not want to locate a repeater at the edge of coverage, since it will have a weak signal with resulting low throughput to start with.

You basically have a good short list of routers. None of them are perfect. None are guaranteed to solve your range issue. They might help with your stability / reliability issue. But without knowing exactly what's happening that causes you to reboot, it's hard to say.

Reboots are usually a sign the router hardware has issue. (you'll know this if you had installed the current firmware) and it still does the same effect. Time to buy a new router.

These four had scored (rank) out of 100% by online users are listed below.

Cisco Linksys WRT310n (100%) (if used with DD-WRT)
Netgear WNDR3700 (87%)
Belkin N+ (77%)
Cisco Linksys E3000 (72%)

They're hot online right now. Since the EnGenius ESR-9850 isn't as well know yet it should take off like these 4 have above.

Just as a thought, given the layout of the house, would I be better served by something with external antennas (and perhaps some creative parabolic reflectors) for my parents' house (signal issue) vs. getting something else for my house? I figure, worst case, those antennas could also more easily be swapped with, say, a panel antenna. They basically need signal broadcast in 180 degrees from the router location, and the router can't easily be moved (it's the only room wired for the modem, which is cable, vs. the rest of the house being on the satellite/antenna)

Or can you just set up a large parabolic reflector for the entire router (putting the focal point as an approximation, given no external antennas)? For example, say you had the 3700 seated vertically, could you make a large reflector and put the router itself at the focal point?

You can try directional, higher gain antennas. Note that dual-band models are hard to come by.

You can also try reflectors. Might be tricky / impractical with multiple antennas. Check http://www.freeantennas.com/ for examples and templates.

Don't forget that you can leave the cable modem where it is and just put a longer cable between it and the router WAN port. They don't have to sit side by side.

I'd invest in a 50-100 ft CAT5e cable and experiment with temporarily moving your existing router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!