What's new

Replacing a Failed Notebook Wireless Radio

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hiptech

New Around Here
I've been reading articles from the site for a while and appreciate all the work and good info. I may not always understand all the technical info but I'm still learning. Now I have an issue and hope some of you can provide helpful feedback.

The internal wireless radio in my wife's HP Pavilion DV6253CL recently failed and HP is unwilling to help (past warranty).

I currently have an older Linksys WRT54GS v.3 along with matching AUA 1420 CardBus (from an older HP OmniBook) which isn't compatible with the Pavilion's ExpressCard port.

Questions:

1. I've read where Tim prefers using an Intel Wifi Link 5300 in his tests. Can anyone tell me if there is a version of this adapter available in an ExpressCard/54 Slot form factor (for notebooks)?

2. I recently purchased a BELKIN F5D9050 on sale for $12.99 (Newegg) to get me by. While it's no barn burner it does get the job done for now. Is it worth upgrading the notebook client while still using the old Linksys WRT54GS?

3. We primarily use the notebook in home and mostly for email, browsing and occasional Hulu watching. Would a better solution be to upgrade the router (NETGEAR WNDR3700 or D-Link 825) and match it with an compatible wireless adapter?

Thanks

1. I've read where Tim prefers using an Intel Wifi Link 5300 in his tests. Can anyone tell me if there is a version of this adapter available in an ExpressCard/54 Slot form factor (for notebooks)?
No. PCIe only.

2. I recently purchased a BELKIN F5D9050 on sale for $12.99 (Newegg) to get me by. While it's no barn burner it does get the job done for now. Is it worth upgrading the notebook client while still using the old Linksys WRT54GS?
No.

3. We primarily use the notebook in home and mostly for email, browsing and occasional Hulu watching. Would a better solution be to upgrade the router (NETGEAR WNDR3700 or D-Link 825) and match it with an compatible wireless adapter?
Maybe. Internet video doesn't really require much bandwidth, though, which an 11g connection should handle fine.
What problem are you trying to solve by upgrading?

According to the manual for your laptop (found here) it uses a Mini PCIe wireless card. If you're not really looking for an upgrade in speed, it may be better to just replace the card inside the machine. It's under the memory cover so can be easily swapped out with another one. I was able to find the module online. This will keep things from sticking out of your computer.

If you'd rather have something with that can use wireless n and feel adventurous, you might be able to find a Mini PCIe card that will work with your computer. I'm not sure if HP does this, but some computer makers do something that will keep other models of wireless cards from working so you should keep that in mind.

Oh, and if you're just not getting signal from anything you might want to just try removing the antenna wires and then reseating them. They might be loose.

Thanks guys...
To answer Tim's question "What problem are you trying to solve by upgrading?"

I thought I could improve throughput speed a little but this may not be possible. I recall Linksys promoting their CardBus with "SpeedBoost" as a way to increase file transfer speed. Not necessarily internet access but LAN file transfer improvement. Not really sure if this ever really happened but somehow it sounded right. Also I thought the Belkin might not be the best solution for minimizing latency since it may not be of the highest quality?

Regarding Merc's reply,

Yes, I would love to replace the now dead internal wireless radio with another. I haven't explored the complexities of cracking open the housing but was led to believe by HP this was a complex issue as the wireless card was soldered to the mobo?

Wireless N would be a nice bonus but would be content to just reinstate the original radio if simpler. Any ideas where I might find a DYI for accomplishing this?

Thanks again all...

If you want more speed and your signal level is medium to high, then moving to an N router and card will help. You don't have to buy a "matching" pair. If you like Linksys then the WRT160N would work.

Thanks Tim

Don't know if I am too enamored with Linksys anymore as my perception is their quality has slipped somewhat since Cisco took over. My fear is the other brands may not be too far behind.

I realize this isn't an exact science but... I am leaning toward either the Netgear WNDR3700 or D-Link 825. Care to make any recommendations?

Both are dual-band N routers. More expensive than single band. The WNDR3700 is the better of the two.

If you're getting a N router you should also get a good client.

The good news is it should only run you about $20... and some free time to teach yourself how to take apart your own laptop :)

Try a fleabay search for "intel 5300 HP" with some things to consider:
-You probably want to stick to domestic sellers for common parts
-Be sure it is an HP version because they are one of those annoying OEMs that does bios hardware locks as much as they can. "IBM" aka lenovo is another. (I buy neither for this reason)
-Get the right size, although many full card slots also have mount holes for the half cards.
-You probably only have two antennas, but it is possible to shove a third in the case somewhere if you really want (some sellers bundle simple ones with their cards)

Keep in mind your internet will still be the bottlebeck even with low end wireless, unless its something like fios.

BTW...

Originally Posted by hiptech
No. PCIe only.

Where theres a will, theres a way :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!