What's new

Replacing a Laptop's Built-in WiFi Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
My Windows 8 laptop shipped with a built-in WiFi adapter. I prefer to use my own WiFi adapter.

I disabled the built-in WiFi adapter from the Windows 8 Network and Sharing control panel and then connected my own WiFi adapter (to a USB port) and installed its driver. So far, everything seems to be working okay.

Are there any other configuration changes I should have made? For example, should I disable the built-in WiFi adapter in Windows 8 Device Manager?

I would disable the internal WiFi in BIOS in the laptop so Windows 8 will never see the built-in WiFi. I think this is what Tim recommended.

My Windows 8 laptop shipped with a built-in WiFi adapter. I prefer to use my own WiFi adapter.

I disabled the built-in WiFi adapter from the Windows 8 Network and Sharing control panel and then connected my own WiFi adapter (to a USB port) and installed its driver. So far, everything seems to be working okay.

Are there any other configuration changes I should have made? For example, should I disable the built-in WiFi adapter in Windows 8 Device Manager?

Why would you do that? Granted, the overhead of USB isn't as big of deal as it once was, but it's still a much clunkier solution. If you wanted to add, say, dual-band/dual-stream (since most cheap laptops are single-band/single-stream) then replace the internal Wi-Fi adapter, don't use a USB one!

Hi,
Exactly, that is what I did when I obtained a sick ASUS ROG i7 laptop. After fixing it which was VERY simple problem, I replaced original Atheros card with Intel 6250 for 20.00 dollars. I always make sure WiFi cards I choose are Linux friendly too.

Why would you do that? Granted, the overhead of USB isn't as big of deal as it once was, but it's still a much clunkier solution. If you wanted to add, say, dual-band/dual-stream (since most cheap laptops are single-band/single-stream) then replace the internal Wi-Fi adapter, don't use a USB one!

Quite simple, really. In the first place, it's better to have only one wireless signal coming from the laptop rather than two.

Second, my own client is more capable than the built-in client (N300 vs. N150), has better driver support, and is capable of operating on the 5GHz band.

In my experience, disabling the built-in wireless adapter from the Network and Sharing Center also disabled it in Device Manager. That's all I need to do. Disabling the adapter in the UEFI should not be necessary.

Opening the laptop and replacing the built-in WiFi card is not worth the trouble and will void my warranty.

Hi,
Wonder what is your laptop? Does your laptop have soldered in WiFi card? I have laptops in my house on every floor, WiFi card is readily accessible and replaceable. It is not like taking the whole thing apart. Intel 6200 or 6250 are dirt cheap while 6300 costs more on eBay. They have good utility. I wouldn't think upgrading memory, WiFi card, HDD will
void laptop warranty.

2.5 years ago I replaced the Dell adapter in my laptop with an Intel 6300. About 3 months ago, the latest driver update refused to install even though at least 6 previous had. Intel said to talk to Dell who refused to help with my "unofficial" upgrade.

The laptop is long out of warranty and the adapter works fine, but I understand not wanting to physically swap it out especially if there's still a warranty. Lack of support is no fun.

Regards.

Hi,
That is interesting. By any chance have you updated BIOS of that Dell laptop? Once I had to patch the Lenovo BIOS to let the laptop accept non-Lenovo designated WiFi card.

Quite simple, really. In the first place, it's better to have only one wireless signal coming from the laptop rather than two.

Second, my own client is more capable than the built-in client (N300 vs. N150), has better driver support, and is capable of operating on the 5GHz band.

In my experience, disabling the built-in wireless adapter from the Network and Sharing Center also disabled it in Device Manager. That's all I need to do. Disabling the adapter in the UEFI should not be necessary.

Opening the laptop and replacing the built-in WiFi card is not worth the trouble and will void my warranty.

I said nothing about two signals? So I dunno where you got that from.

As said, swapping the card is easy on most laptops. It's the first thing I do with a cheap laptop once I test it and verify it's working. The laptop I got last fall (an Asus Black Friday special) however took about two hours. Well worth it though, way better than horrible Wifi or using a clunky external dongle.