What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Monopoly

New Around Here
Hey SNB!

I'm looking to replace a dead AC88U that's over 4 years old! My house is two floors, roughly 7m x 7m in length and width.

Which router is a better buy? The GT-AX6000 is at its lowest ever price £199.98 GBP ($250 according to Google) or I believe the (newly) released AX88U Pro has also dropped to it's lowest price of £245 ($308 according to Google).

My incoming connection is 1,600Mbps down with 150Mbps up. I mainly Game (wired of course) and use Apple WiFi6 devices.

I do have smart home devices on the 2.5GHz band.

Any other suggestions are of course welcome!

Thanks SNB Community!

Last edited:
Both GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro are very similar hardware and popular models around.

GT-AX6000 is the "gaming" version with RGB lights and weird looks. RT-AX88U Pro is perhaps your "direct replacement" model.

Both GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro are very similar hardware and popular models around.

GT-AX6000 is the "gaming" version with RGB lights and weird looks. RT-AX88U Pro is perhaps your "direct replacement" model.

Thanks! I have seen from other threads the GTAX6000 was the "WiFi King" but I'm thinking of getting the AX88U as I believe this is the newer model of the two and will likely be supported by ASUS/Merlin longer? Of course not guaranteed but.. If it's worth the extra ££

I have seen from other threads the GTAX6000 was the "WiFi King"

Don't look at feedback from people in different regions! The same model router will have different factory settings for different markets. Your router will be restricted to your local UK regulations up to 200mW on non-DFS 36-48 range. Most likely it won't have upper non-DFS range 149-161 even though it was allowed in the UK recently. Routers sold in the US have up to 1000mW with both non-DFS ranges available, for example. Therefore you may have to find your local "king" instead. Get whatever you like best from a store with good return policy and test for yourself. Realistic expectations - your new router will have approximately the same coverage as your old router.

7m x 7m?

I have seen from other threads the GTAX6000 was the "WiFi King" but I'm thinking of getting the AX88U as I believe this is the newer model of the two and will likely be supported by ASUS/Merlin longer?
Nobody I know or am acquainted with can say with any authority /which/ unit will have longer support. Just get whichever is cheaper the day you lay down the cash. They're fraternal twins.

Yes, fraternal twins. But one has the pretty lights and one has the muscle.

MBR: "So, in the end, if I were to choose between the ASUS RT-AX88U Pro and the GT-AX6000, I would choose whichever is the cheapest."

Yes, he would. It doesn't make sense though for me, today.