What's new

Request for help: Open WRT on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netlover

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'm a complete beginner with no technical knowledge. Been struggling for the past 6 hours with this / been unsuccessful with what I can find.

I have a Netgear X4S (R7800) and a TalkTalk Router/Modem combo. I was using the X4S (Wan Port) connected to TalkTalk Router (Lan Port). I was having lots of issues with AirPlay for the past 4+ years, so wanted to explore custom firmware. I read that Open WRT might get around this issue.

I installed Open WRT on the R7800 (openwrt-22.03.3-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory) using the routerlogin.net GUI.

I was able to get the WiFi / local network set up by connecting my Mac to the R7800 with LAN cable and going to 192.168.1.1. I set the SSIDs (2.4 and 5ghz) & passwords to be same as before; LAN seems to work - i can do things like AirPlay music from my Mac to my speakers.

However, I cannot get any internet connection and nor have I been able to work it out. R7800 WAN <-> TalkTalk Router Lan.

I did try R7800 LAN <-> TalkTalk Router LAN. This gave an intermittent internet connection to devices connected to the R7800 and meant 192.168.1.1 would flip between Open WRT interface and the TalkTalk interface. Totally unusable.

I changed IP of 'LAN' on Open WRT from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.111.1 (having read this as a suggestion somewhere). Now I can't access the Open WRT GUI at all and I'm clueless here.

Requesting help / what do I do?

Update:

1. Plugged Mac into R7800 LAN again. It reset the Open WRT interface to 192.168.1.1
  2. I changed IPv4 address under LAN interface to 192.168.1.1
  3. Plugged TalkTalk router into R7800 LAN port. Internet works (n.b. it did not work when TalkTalk router plugged into R7800 WAN)
So.. I have working local network with working internet.. nearly there

Issue now is that speeds are *much* lower than I had before with the standard R7800 firmware. I'm getting a Tx rate of circa 260mbps on my laptop when I previously had minimum circa 520mbps and generally >800 depending upon room. Accessing content off my NAS is significantly slower / high bitrate files stutter.

Plugged TalkTalk router into R7800 LAN port. Internet works (n.b. it did not work when TalkTalk router plugged into R7800 WAN)
This seems like a bad idea. What IP does the TalkTalk router have? You might have a subnet conflict.

This seems like a bad idea. What IP does the TalkTalk router have? You might have a subnet conflict.
While connected to the R7800, I can now access the GUI for the TalkTalk router at 192.168.1.1 and R7800 at 192.168.1.2

Are there settings I should change on one or both devices?

In terms of desired outcome, I'm connected to the 5Ghz network of R7800 but Tx rate is low / not getting performance I need from my NAS. Note: NAS is connected to R7800.

Last edited:
Which openwrt build did you installed? I suggest you to use Hnyman's build for R7800 and I prefer Tftpd64 to upload any build.

Did you set your modem/router combo into bridge mod? If you didnt, may be this is the problem. Do it and restart both device together and wait.

Which openwrt build did you installed? I suggest you to use Hnyman's build for R7800 and I prefer Tftpd64 to upload any build.

Did you set your modem/router combo into bridge mod? If you didnt, may be this is the problem. Do it and restart both device together and wait.
I installed openwrt-22.03.3-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory

What is Hntman's build / how is it different? What is Tftpd64..?

How do i put the R7800 into Bridge in the correct way on Openwrt? Complete beginner here

The TalkTalk ISP router doesn't have a 'bridge mode' anywhere. I've copy pasted all the settings options available below:

IP address
Subnet Mask

DHCP
IPv4 Pool Start
IPv4 Pool End
Add Reserved Address

Primary DNS Server
Secondary DNS Server

Dynamic DNS Client [Enable/Disable]

Static Route

I installed openwrt-22.03.3-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory

What is Hntman's build / how is it different? What is Tftpd64..?

How do i put the R7800 into Bridge in the correct way on Openwrt? Complete beginner here

The TalkTalk ISP router doesn't have a 'bridge mode' anywhere. I've copy pasted all the settings options available below:

IP address
Subnet Mask

DHCP
IPv4 Pool Start
IPv4 Pool End
Add Reserved Address

Primary DNS Server
Secondary DNS Server

Dynamic DNS Client [Enable/Disable]

Static Route
You can find hynman build in forum of openwrt (community builds)

You dont need to put R7800 into bridge mod.

If Talktalk has router functionality you should put it into bridge mod, but i am not sure if it has bridge mod.