What's new

Requesting a change of leadership

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've moved posts out of the thread where they didn't belong. If this new thread continues down the path of name calling however, it will get locked.

Thanks Merlin.

By the way, Ignore really does work wonders.

Guests, Users and Administrators of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the AsusWRT-Merlin war machine, the elimination of AsusWRT-Merlin tyranny over oppressed peoples of Canada, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 2015. Much has happened since the AsusWRT-Merlin triumphs of 2012-14. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Developer great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced his strength in the air and his capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

- Eisenhower

Holy sh*t, this thread is a comedy goldmine.

Heil Merlin!

\o \o \o \o \o

Last edited by a moderator:
Merlin: Please ignore the earlier inappropriate poorly written rant of one poster apparently dissatisfied with the new Login required by ASUS.

The rest of us who know what you do enjoy the benefit of your expertise. We remain thankful.

6 streaming Tivos, 6 laptops, 6 tablets, 6 android phones, 3 Sony Playstations, 6 ethernet connected smart tv’s, 4 wired desktops, 3 wired access points, Guest Network, Open VPN QOS Tri Band Smart Connect enabled Asus RT AC3200 running Merlin 378.55 signed into each time by typing name and password with exactly ZERO wired or wireless issues.

Thank you Merlin.
Agree.
No one is forcing him to use this firmware. Don't like don't use. Seems simple to me.

Personally I think this firmware is the best available. Don't really see what the big deal is with the login screen. I use this firmware so that I do not need to login all the time. Load firmware, configure if needed and enjoy. No need to be poking at the router all the time.
--bill

I have signed a non-aggression pact with the Tomato devs. This united front should allow me to sustain the combined force of OpenWRT and DD-WRT, should they decide to join their forces in an attempt to thwart my plans at World Domination.

@Riichard Hykawy

3 points I would like to get across:

1) RMerlin does a great job with the F/W and support on this forum.
2) You're an arrogant twat.
3) Learn some basic grammar. You know, like sentences and paragraphs.

Thank you.

I just don't remember reading a post like this from anyone any time.

eddiez, post: 196893, member: 41347"]Merlin just did not change the default ASUS login method. You can of course do a feature request... with ASUS. And apparently you haven't read any of the previous pages or discussions on this topic.

Overall, the personal attack and vocabulary used are not only insulting to a guy that does this in his spare time, but are also totally unacceptable on a forum. You're not even old enough to know what Nazi's are about.

So get your butt away from this place. You're opinions, attitude and offending language are not welcome here.

Op must be on a drug or smoke some wrong stuffs. Please come back when your mind is clear and be civil or banish yourself. Very rude and idiotic.

I like how he is asking for someone to take over the project.
Eric, with the option he gives of forking your own branch, is an invitation to take it over.
If you or anyone who wants to do it does a better job, people will use that fork.
I use John's on mr rt-n66 and rt-ac66 and RMerlin on my rt-ac68p.
Any one, at anytime can make a fork of it and if it's better people will use it.
Now go away. Please.

FYI, the IGNORE feature works very well. I just used it. Bu-bye Richie.
But I suspect this person has been around and disgruntled for a while and has created a new ID just for the purpose of complaining. Trolls like this tend to come back.

I need not appologise when I am completely right, merlins approach is not to give the security as an option, which it should be, in personal routers, his project is to make FW for home routers, which is what we are dealing with, so make it an option, you can have yout high level security if you want it, but do not push it on the rest, enough said, now perhaps I should be getting an appology.

I'm not a frequent poster to the forum, but I do use Merlin's firmware and am very grateful for his efforts, for which he is not compensated, and for which we are not required to pay.

Your trolling and ranting is a prime example of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished." Please refrain from posting any other comments unless you plan to apologize to Merlin and this community.

ROFL, this is a joke of a thread. ASUS is publishing a GPL firmware which RMerlin is modifying and publishing again as GPL. That means everyone is free to fork and modify it, and it also means there are no guarantees and no obligations from the moder to the user or the opposite. The end.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
...and no need for those that want high level security not to have it either, it should be a choice as with all options in my own router.

You have a choice you idiot! No one is forcing you to use Merlin's builds, go back to official ASUS one if you want, no one is stopping you, you internet, keyboard warrior, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up just to laugh at this guy. If you think security is too high for your little browser add on that manages your password, you either need to 1) get a different add on, or 2) stop being lazy and type in your password, or 3) if that's too much for you, just leave everything at default, since there's no security that way.

But really, if you think that Merlin has any control over how ASUS manages the router security, then you got a lot to learn about how this firmware is produced/republished. Heck, if that's STILL too much for you, then downgrade your router to something else before these unbearable changes were implemented.

Edit: Also, because of people like you...this is why we can't have nice things. People that complain like you, who have no knowledge whatsoever are probably the reason why ASUS takes nice features away from us. Thanks a lot.

I see 2 options for this thread:
1. Have the forum moderator remove it
2. Ignore this user so you don't see any of his posts

I see 2 options for this thread:
1. Have the forum moderator remove it
2. Ignore this user so you don't see any of his posts
Well, unless the user does something that explicitly violates the forum rules the thread should stay. Double standards are no good. Also, he has the right of free speech. And of course we have also the right to have our own oppinion, and to even ignore him.

I am using johnss fork (yes there is a fork :p) That fork was made for a few reasons, one of them been for users who got sick of asus's constant tinkering with features.

Merlin has the principle of only providing changes that dont go too far astray from the core firmware made by asus, there is many merits to that principle. But as he said he lets people fork the project as they wish and take their own path.

If asus are indeed now blocking pasting on login pages I do agree thats poor from them, but that will be what they did not merlin.

On an asus router you have choices of various firmwares including.

stock asus
merlin
merlin fork made by john based on an older build
tomato
ddwrt
your own fork

Personally I use john's fork. Nothing to do with not liking merlin's newer firmwares, but more to do with not liking the wifi restrictions asus added and their frequent changes affecting stability both of which are not merlin's fault.

Incidently asus cannot block cached passwords (autofill) in chrome and firefox anymore as both browser vendors agreed that is fake security and they now prevent that behaviour (overide it).

Status
Not open for further replies.