What's new

Requesting a change of leadership

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riichard Hykawy

New Around Here
Got you. I suspect the new login is here to stay so alternate methods (like a password manager or SSH) are in your future.
Personally, I feel merlin is being very pig headed in his security approach. No as it is true no one is forcing anyone to use merlins FW, after using it for a long while and it becoming a staple FW, it should be adaptable to allow people to chose the security the wish to use and merlin being the man who started this project, should be responsible enough to his uses, and that means all of them to allow them to choose what they need and choose what they do not need. To simply say this is the new world and tuff, is a irresponsible statement. I feel merlin has been getting too many compliments and has become ego inflated, well here is a little pin to pop his NAZI ego. We have choices and we should be allowed to make them, we do not need papa merlin or the third reich merlin to make them for us, Mr. Merlin if you will, make you fantastic new security scheme adaptable so others that still like the FW to adjust it so they can use it without the NAZI security you have put into it. I am sure a man with your talents can adjust it to allow the choice. I to respect your work, perhaps not the man anymore, since your last out burst at people only wanting a choice and your NAZI attitude into telling them it is not going to change. Of course it wont change with NAZI's like merlin now making the choices for us. Merlin is dead wrong, and high end security that of like bank servers is not needed, his argument, that if you were on a web page while accessing your router, is ridiculous, I for one usually do not have multiple pages open while doing something sensitive as adjusting my router. If for instance I did, then I deserve the attack, merlin does not need to be the daddy protecting us from ourselves. Merlin we need a good FW provider, not a NAZI leader. Give us an adjustable firmware, or step down and let someone else take over, it seems you have become closed sighted to the goal, and have become closed minded in your pursuits, it is time to give up the project sir, let others take it. If someone would like to take this project from merlin, I will support it with a petition, I think merlin is becoming a liability to the asuswrt project. Perhaps he is just tired, or had become narrow minded, but I feel with technology at where it is, we can have the choice to have or not to have such high security.

Personally, I feel merlin is being very pig headed in his security approach. No as it is true no one is forcing anyone to use merlins FW, after using it for a long while and it becoming a staple FW, it should be adaptable to allow people to chose the security the wish to use and merlin being the man who started this project, should be responsible enough to his uses, and that means all of them to allow them to choose what they need and choose what they do not need. To simply say this is the new world and tuff, is a irresponsible statement. I feel merlin has been getting too many compliments and has become ego inflated, well here is a little pin to pop his NAZI ego. We have choices and we should be allowed to make them, we do not need papa merlin or the third reich merlin to make them for us, Mr. Merlin if you will, make you fantastic new security scheme adaptable so others that still like the FW to adjust it so they can use it without the NAZI security you have put into it. I am sure a man with your talents can adjust it to allow the choice. I to respect your work, perhaps not the man anymore, since your last out burst at people only wanting a choice and your NAZI attitude into telling them it is not going to change. Of course it wont change with NAZI's like merlin now making the choices for us. Merlin is dead wrong, and high end security that of like bank servers is not needed, his argument, that if you were on a web page while accessing your router, is ridiculous, I for one usually do not have multiple pages open while doing something sensitive as adjusting my router. If for instance I did, then I deserve the attack, merlin does not need to be the daddy protecting us from ourselves. Merlin we need a good FW provider, not a NAZI leader. Give us an adjustable firmware, or step down and let someone else take over, it seems you have become closed sighted to the goal, and have become closed minded in your pursuits, it is time to give up the project sir, let others take it. If someone would like to take this project from merlin, I will support it with a petition, I think merlin is becoming a liability to the asuswrt project. Perhaps he is just tired, or had become narrow minded, but I feel with technology at where it is, we can have the choice to have or not to have such high security.

And this is your first post in this forum? Smells like jealousy to me... What in the world are you blabbing about? It's not Merlin who introduced those security measures, do your research before stating things like that. Second of all... we all want tight security, and if it makes you mad... well, good! Moderators, please do something about this rude and harassing post by Riichard Hykawy. Thanks!

I think you need to go and bitching somewhere else. Start your own forum and build firmware by yourself than you can created as you wish it to be.

If someone would like to take this project from merlin, I will support it with a petition, I think merlin is becoming a liability to the asuswrt project. Perhaps he is just tired, or had become narrow minded, but I feel with technology at where it is, we can have the choice to have or not to have such high security.

First of all, the way you use it, I don't think you know what that four letter word really means.

There's a Fork button on Github. Anyone can click on it, fork the project, and develop his own alternative. You're welcome to try to do better. You don't even need a petition for it, just click on it.

This project isn't designed by a committee, it's designed by a lead developer. I'm always open to opnions, but in the end, I make the final decision, because someone has to. People who disagree with the decisions I make are welcome to fork the project. I even welcome them to.

I've already said numerous times that the pasting support was coming back AFTER Asus are done developing this new Login page. They virtually rewrote the entire page a second time between 6117 and 7858 - I'm not going to repeat all my work three times, so any further changes to it will have to wait after they are done developing it.

If your postings (oh wait, there's only 1 so far) would seem less disturbed, then people might be willing to take what you wrote seriously.

Classical example of a small dog barking because it doesn't get its sausage. If it's that important and you cannot create your own fork even though everything is open source, then you seem quite helpless.

To quote from one of my favorite tech support/device engineer for an IoT device that too is open source and hackable.. (even though it does use some non-open componenets)..... (Thanks Duane)

The exits are clearly marked..

You do not have to use his firmware, and you can always try to compile or fork your own... He is not being paid to do this.. but does it because he believes in what he does, and makes choices based on stability and security, not convienence...

Personally, I feel merlin is being very pig headed in his security approach.........

All this because of a login? Really? Then throwing out NAZI as a description? To call someone pigheaded with such a post is hypocritical. He doesn't have to do this favor for us, yet Merlin does for our community. We can choose to install his firmware or not. Perhaps you should choose not and look elsewhere. Please don't post here again unless it's an apology to Merlin and the rest of us.

And this is your first post in this forum? Smells like jealousy to me... What in the world are you blabbing about? It's not Merlin who introduced those security measures, do your research before stating things like that. Second of all... we all want tight security, and if it makes you mad... well, good! Moderators, please do something about this rude and harassing post by Riichard Hykawy. Thanks!
Lmao, this is exactly what I mean by NAZI like, I am sticking up for all concerned and this idiot is trying to make waves with moderators as he cannot himself deal with the truth, I never said there should be no security, nor did I say that the one putin place is bad, I stated that Merlin was being NAZI like in his approach tonforce that security on everyone, it should be a simple choice to adopt that level of security. Since it is not, Merlin should step down and let someone else take over the project, someone with the level of commitment to aprroach this with a freash attitude, that will make it an enjoyable firmware for everyone. Merlin has lost sight of that. You are also a perfect example of NAZI like, as if someone that has a different view on it must be shut up and taken away, "do not let anyone else speak of have a contrary view point" lol, you are pathetic and a prime reason we need to have the security as a choice, no one is saying you cannot choose the higher security, just that it needs to be as an option, you and merlin have clear issues. Perhaps the moderators need to deal with you, and I ask the moderators to please stop all who approach honest people from attempting to get the FW made to offer a proper choice to everyone, and not just to the few security freaks that think they have a bank in their server or are attached to the CIA or FBI in some sort that require this level of security. It comes to a point you can over do any good thing and now it is over done. Their can be a happy medium where this security can be made as an option for those fruit cakes that need the CIA encrypted level security they can select it and for those who are just the average joe that runs a router out of his house, well he was plain security. There is no need to have this much security in a home router period, and this is a home router, it is sold as a home router, it is sold at best buy retailers as a home router. Do we need to say much more, if you need bank or CIA level security, go buy a cisco comercial router, teach yourself to use it and then configure it any way you like, become a script kiddie and make your super secure router, for the rest of us we would like an option to have simple security, period, go whine to all the moderators, I care not, I am not doing anything wrong. I am asking Merlin to step down as it looks like he has lost sight of the project which was to make a great firmware even better and easy to use, setup and maintain, and if some feel the security is much, then correct it and make the high level security an option, if he cannot do this then step down and let someone else take over. Sometimes this happens when a project bcomes more than you can handle, and it seems he is at that point, if not then correct it and make the security an option, no need to tell others tuff luck at all, and no need for those that want high level security not to have it either, it should be a choice as with all options in my own router.

I need not appologise when I am completely right, merlins approach is not to give the security as an option, which it should be, in personal routers, his project is to make FW for home routers, which is what we are dealing with, so make it an option, you can have yout high level security if you want it, but do not push it on the rest, enough said, now perhaps I should be getting an appology.

First of all, the way you use it, I don't think you know what that four letter word really means.

There's a Fork button on Github. Anyone can click on it, fork the project, and develop his own alternative. You're welcome to try to do better. You don't even need a petition for it, just click on it.

This project isn't designed by a committee, it's designed by a lead developer. I'm always open to opnions, but in the end, I make the final decision, because someone has to. People who disagree with the decisions I make are welcome to fork the project. I even welcome them to.

I've already said numerous times that the pasting support was coming back AFTER Asus are done developing this new Login page. They virtually rewrote the entire page a second time between 6117 and 7858 - I'm not going to repeat all my work three times, so any further changes to it will have to wait after they are done developing it.
Merlin, it is simple not all of us can program, however that does not mean as a result we need to take your opinion or leave it, this was your decision to do this project, but at least have the decency to make the security like everything else a choice, not a enforcement. You can change this and make it an option, and that will be fine, those that want it can have it, and those that dont can deselct it, I do not see the need to force your will on others, we have seen those that do as I stated your NAZI like approach is not very open to anything, chance it or step down and let others make the hard choice, no need to you to make it anymore.

Lmao, this is exactly what I mean by NAZI like, I am sticking up for all concerned and this idiot is trying to make waves with moderators as he cannot himself deal with the truth, I never said there should be no security, nor did I say that the one putin place is bad, I stated that Merlin was being NAZI like in his approach tonforce that security on everyone, it should be a simple choice to adopt that level of security. Since it is not, Merlin should step down and let someone else take over the project, someone with the level of commitment to aprroach this with a freash attitude, that will make it an enjoyable firmware for everyone. Merlin has lost sight of that. You are also a perfect example of NAZI like, as if someone that has a different view on it must be shut up and taken away, "do not let anyone else speak of have a contrary view point" lol, you are pathetic and a prime reason we need to have the security as a choice, no one is saying you cannot choose the higher security, just that it needs to be as an option, you and merlin have clear issues. Perhaps the moderators need to deal with you, and I ask the moderators to please stop all who approach honest people from attempting to get the FW made to offer a proper choice to everyone, and not just to the few security freaks that think they have a bank in their server or are attached to the CIA or FBI in some sort that require this level of security. It comes to a point you can over do any good thing and now it is over done. Their can be a happy medium where this security can be made as an option for those fruit cakes that need the CIA encrypted level security they can select it and for those who are just the average joe that runs a router out of his house, well he was plain security. There is no need to have this much security in a home router period, and this is a home router, it is sold as a home router, it is sold at best buy retailers as a home router. Do we need to say much more, if you need bank or CIA level security, go buy a cisco comercial router, teach yourself to use it and then configure it any way you like, become a script kiddie and make your super secure router, for the rest of us we would like an option to have simple security, period, go whine to all the moderators, I care not, I am not doing anything wrong. I am asking Merlin to step down as it looks like he has lost sight of the project which was to make a great firmware even better and easy to use, setup and maintain, and if some feel the security is much, then correct it and make the high level security an option, if he cannot do this then step down and let someone else take over. Sometimes this happens when a project bcomes more than you can handle, and it seems he is at that point, if not then correct it and make the security an option, no need to tell others tuff luck at all, and no need for those that want high level security not to have it either, it should be a choice as with all options in my own router.

Disgraceful and duly reported your posts.

Merlin, it is simple not all of us can program, however that does not mean as a result we need to take your opinion or leave it, this was your decision to do this project, but at least have the decency to make the security like everything else a choice, not a enforcement.

It is your decision whether or not you use Merlin's fantastic firmware, if you don't like it, go back to stock Asus firmware... Oh yeah, they are the ones who changed the login page you so clearly despise, so you're shirt outta luck.

If security isn't an issue for you, stick with the firmware that doesn't have the new login page (578.54_2) and put up with any potential security holes that get found in e.g. OpenSSL.

Just spotted this mess and you are entitled your opinion Sir! If the firmware is not to your liking, please don't forget that this is "Open Source"!
Make your own adjustments by learning code and you'll never have to darken this forum again with your negativity.

Lmao, this is exactly what I mean by .....

Wow what a large block of text with not nearly enough full stops.
You need to learn about paragraphs in school.

RMerlin already explained this firmware is not designed by committee. It is not a popular vote that makes a certain feature included.
The firmware does what Asus want then has a few bells and whistles RMerlin wants or feels are worthwhile.

If you do not like the firmware, simply stop using it. It is that simple.

Merlin, it is simple not all of us can program, however that does not mean as a result we need to take your opinion or leave it, this was your decision to do this project, but at least have the decency to make the security like everything else a choice, not a enforcement. You can change this and make it an option, and that will be fine, those that want it can have it, and those that dont can deselct it, I do not see the need to force your will on others, we have seen those that do as I stated your NAZI like approach is not very open to anything, chance it or step down and let others make the hard choice, no need to you to make it anymore.
Actually it is very simple. You have so many options to choose from if you don't like what Merlin has done. You can always switch to another firmware or you can fork your own version of the code for example. If you have no time to learn how to program, you can always ask politely for some other developer (like Merlin for example) to change something. If you don't have any idea what the impact of your request will be, then you need rely on the estimate of the developer.

Sure everything is possible, but every code change has it's price. No matter how trivial the visual or functional the idea is, it could lead to days or weeks amount of work. In worst case if you happen to change something that main developers are working against, then you are tied to maintain the same code maybe months or years. In such case the hobby turns out to be a job where most likely no one is paying you for. Not many developers are willing to take such burden and that is a decision that everyone has to respect.

Merlin just did not change the default ASUS login method. You can of course do a feature request... with ASUS. And apparently you haven't read any of the previous pages or discussions on this topic.

Overall, the personal attack and vocabulary used are not only insulting to a guy that does this in his spare time, but are also totally unacceptable on a forum. You're not even old enough to know what Nazi's are about.

So get your butt away from this place. You're opinions, attitude and offending language are not welcome here.

I need not appologise when I am completely right, merlins approach is not to give the security as an option, which it should be, in personal routers, his project is to make FW for home routers, which is what we are dealing with, so make it an option, you can have yout high level security if you want it, but do not push it on the rest, enough said, now perhaps I should be getting an appology.
YOU think you're right. That does not mean that you are. You'd better apologize for your qualifications. You never know how your online life can be exposed... just like that.... mowing lawns and so

Status
Not open for further replies.