What's new

Resetting Guest Internet Access w/o affecting main WLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

felixdd

Occasional Visitor
So I have some WiFi Smart Plugs that I've paired with the guest wifi. Smart Plugs (and IOT devices in general) aren't the most secure, and once I've set the timer function, etc. they don't need to be online to function, so I'd like to disable their online access when possible.

I would like to be able to toggle the Guest WLAN's WAN or, barring that, toggle the Guest WLAN itself. However, whenever I attempt the latter, the router resets all of its WLANs. My main WLAN has devices that does not deal well with a WLAN hiccup (does not re-negotiate an IP) so it would be nice to be able to toggle the guest WLAN without affetcting the main one.

Any ideas? Any scripts, workarounds, etc?

Realize that guest WiFi is just a different SSID using same transmitter. Have tried changing the guest SSID for a few minutes and changing it back?

So I have some WiFi Smart Plugs that I've paired with the guest wifi. Smart Plugs (and IOT devices in general) aren't the most secure, and once I've set the timer function, etc. they don't need to be online to function, so I'd like to disable their online access when possible.

I would like to be able to toggle the Guest WLAN's WAN or, barring that, toggle the Guest WLAN itself. However, whenever I attempt the latter, the router resets all of its WLANs. My main WLAN has devices that does not deal well with a WLAN hiccup (does not re-negotiate an IP) so it would be nice to be able to toggle the guest WLAN without affetcting the main one.

Any ideas? Any scripts, workarounds, etc?
I have the same issue. Practically any change to Guest or Wireless configs in general causes the whole wireless side to reset. And, like you, I have a couple clients that don't always re-connect.

Here's a relatively cheap ($20) way to isolate a Guest SSID and have complete control without affecting the rest of the LAN's wifi. Buy a repeater and set all the IoT stuff to connect through it. To minimize the hassle of reconfiguring everything, I changed the Guest SSID on my router and then configured the repeater to use that old SSID. Example:
Before - router guest SSID = GUEST; and all IoT stuff used it.
After - router guest SSID = GUEST1; repeater SSID = GUEST; and all IoT stuff connect to it.

Notes:
Since all my IoT stuff is 2.4 GHz, I used a cheap TP-Link repeater from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195Y0A42/?tag=snbforums-20 It plugs directly into an AC outlet.
You can just unplug the repeater when you want to shut off access. Or log-in to it and turn off the extended SSID.
If you've got different online/offline requirements, you can add other repeaters broadcasting a different SSID and pair those devices to it.
You can add other repeaters to improve your wifi coverage of the main router's isolated guest wifi. This also overcomes AiMesh's limitation that nodes don't propagate guest SSIDs. Nothing says more than 1 repeater can't use the same SSID.

I did think about having to set up a second router/AP for this very function, but was hoping there was a way to changing the Guest config without affecting the main WLAN's uptime.
Luckily I do have a repeater lying around somewhere, and I'll try that when I get back. I like the ability to log into the repeater to toggle it -- useful when I'm off-site but still need to make changes to the smartplugs.

I did think about having to set up a second router/AP for this very function, but was hoping there was a way to changing the Guest config without affecting the main WLAN's uptime.
Luckily I do have a repeater lying around somewhere, and I'll try that when I get back. I like the ability to log into the repeater to toggle it -- useful when I'm off-site but still need to make changes to the smartplugs.
One catch - since the Guest on the main router has "Access Intranet" turned off, the repeater can't be accessed through the main router. At least that's been my experience.