What's new

[Resolved] Newly formatted ext4 thumb drive shows strangely in the logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skeal

Part of the Furniture
I have tried this with 3 or 4 new usb drives (formatting to ext4) and with different utilities for formatting and still get this log entry about unrecognized options when it mounts. Actual logs are here:
Code:
Jul  5 08:22:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/pre-mount (args: /dev/sdb1 ) - max timeout = 120s
Jul  5 08:22:17 amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sdb1
Jul  5 08:22:17 amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sdb1
Jul  5 08:22:17 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features (400)
Jul  5 08:22:17 kernel: EXT3-fs (sdb1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
Jul  5 08:22:18 syslog: USB /dev/sdb1(ext) failed to mount at the first try!
Jul  5 08:22:18 usb: USB /dev/sdb1(ext) failed to mount at the first try!
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT3-fs (sdb1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features (400)
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT2-fs (sdb1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: tfat: fail_safe is enabled
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: tntfs info (device sdb1, pid 16172): ntfs_fill_super(): fail_safe is enabled
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features (400)
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: EXT3-fs (sdb1): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
Jul  5 08:22:18 syslog: USB /dev/sdb1(ext) failed to mount at the first try!
Jul  5 08:22:18 usb: USB /dev/sdb1(ext) failed to mount at the first try!
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: tfat: fail_safe is enabled
Jul  5 08:22:18 kernel: tntfs info (device sdb1, pid 16235): ntfs_fill_super(): fail_safe is enabled
Jul  5 08:23:37 kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
I am stumped when I did this 8 months ago it worked with no errors in the log. I have use ubuntu 18.04 and 17.10 using gparted or disk tool. I also have a windows program that can format to ext4 as well. All of them return the same results. What are these optional settings and how do go about fixing this? If this has already been asked please I apologize. Any help with this would be great! By the way ext2 works flawlessly but I would like journaling as its a storage drive.

This has been reported before. You need to format the drive from the router. The ext4 format utilities in Ubuntu, Raspberry Pi, etc. are too new and add features the router doesn't understand.

This has been reported before. You need to format the drive from the router. The ext4 format utilities in Ubuntu, Raspberry Pi, etc. are too new and add features the router doesn't understand.
I should have included that as well. The same thing happens when formatted by the router. I used mk2fs.ext4 /mnt/"my drive" it works but still mounts the same way. Shoot could have been mkfs.ext4 etc.

Oh and I have used ubuntu 17.10 as it worked before and I'm familiar with the steps.

Try the following from your router:

/usr/sbin/mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda1

Replace sda1 with whatever block device you are using. Don't use /mnt/"my drive".

Replace sda1 with whatever block device you are using. Don't use /mnt/"my drive".
Ok I'll get back to you.

How do I rename the drive guys? Command line?

This worked so far but I haven't rebooted yet. I would like to rename the drive again. Can it be done at command line?

This worked so far but I haven't rebooted yet. I would like to rename the drive again. Can it be done at command line?

tune2fs -L volume_label should do it.

Got it thanks for the help it worked really well!!