What's new

Restoring settings after factory reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bluemosh

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum so please forgive any mistakes!

What I'm wondering is: When updating the firmware to the newest version, many of you recommend a factory reset immediately afterwards before then reconfiguring any settings. I have updated the firmware many times but I'm ashamed to say they've all been "dirty" flashes without a factory resets, with the justification of being afraid of losing all my scripts and settings and needing to reinstall them all/reconfigure all the settings.

Ultimately what I'm wondering is:
  1. Should the reset be performed via the web GUI or via the reset button?
  2. Do I need to reconfigure all my settings manually or can I use the export/import settings function in the Administrator options?
  3. When performing a reset, do all the scripts (in this case unbound, FreshJR QoS, spdMerlin, AutoBW and amtm) get removed and require reinstallation and configuration, or do they remain untouched and simply continue unaware of the reset
Also - if you feel there's anything I'm missing such as a script you couldn't live without, please let me know!

Thanks

A factory reset is only required if you are experiencing issues after installing the new firmware.

1. Either
2. If you reload your previous settings that mostly defeats the purpose of doing the factory reset.
3. Any software installed on a USB device will still be there. However if you also reformatted the jffs partition (factory reset with "initialise") you will loose any custom scripts and configs stored there.

1. Sometimes all three. GUI (including 'Initialize all settings...' button checked), reset button method, and the WPS button reset method too. :)
    1. With all three, make sure to do the following at least once. Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot, hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and reboot the router at least twice in the next 10 minutes (I normally do the GUI reset, format the JFFS partition and follow up with the WPS button method to fully reset a router).
  2. Configure all settings minimally and manually after doing the above (always) as using any other method effectively undoes the 'full reset' performed above.
    1. Minimally and manually includes the defaults suggested in the M&M Config (please see link in my signature below).
    2. Do not 'blindly' enter previous customizations for scripts, features, and/or options. They may not even be needed or supported as in previous firmware.
    3. Use new, never before used SSID's.
      1. 8 characters long. Alphanumeric characters only. Do not use spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces (even if they worked before).
      2. Passwords should be 16 characters with the same characteristics.
  3. If using a USB drive for amtm, I suggest it is formatted in a PC before inserting it into the router again. Save whatever files you think you need, but I would not suggest using it on your newly reset router. When you do insert it into the router, use amtm to format it to Ext4 with journaling. Enable the disk checker utility (dc). Create a swap file (2GB). Now, install the scripts you require, beginning with Diversion.
  4. With each script installed, verify it is working as expected and then reboot and verify again before installing the next one.
    1. These steps are particularly important when you're having issues and are trying to pinpoint them.
  5. The above is only necessary if after flashing to the latest firmware your network/router is not responding as you wish.
    1. And, you have searched and done your due diligence by applying and testing any fixes that search turned up (and the issues are still unresolved).
Here is the order of script installs (note that you do not install them all). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/order-of-installing-popular-scripts.61854/#post-551865

Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, disk checker, on Ext4 w/J + 2GB swap file is what I find indispensable on my router/network.

HTH. :)

1. Sometimes all three. GUI (including 'Initialize all settings...' button checked), reset button method, and the WPS button reset method too. :)
    1. With all three, make sure to do the following at least once. Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot, hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and reboot the router at least twice in the next 10 minutes (I normally do the GUI reset, format the JFFS partition and follow up with the WPS button method to fully reset a router).
  2. Configure all settings minimally and manually after doing the above (always) as using any other method effectively undoes the 'full reset' performed above.
    1. Minimally and manually includes the defaults suggested in the M&M Config (please see link in my signature below).
    2. Do not 'blindly' enter previous customizations for scripts, features, and/or options. They may not even be needed or supported as in previous firmware.
    3. Use new, never before used SSID's.
      1. 8 characters long. Alphanumeric characters only. Do not use spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces (even if they worked before).
      2. Passwords should be 16 characters with the same characteristics.
  3. If using a USB drive for amtm, I suggest it is formatted in a PC before inserting it into the router again. Save whatever files you think you need, but I would not suggest using it on your newly reset router. When you do insert it into the router, use amtm to format it to Ext4 with journaling. Enable the disk checker utility (dc). Create a swap file (2GB). Now, install the scripts you require, beginning with Diversion.
  4. With each script installed, verify it is working as expected and then reboot and verify again before installing the next one.
    1. These steps are particularly important when you're having issues and are trying to pinpoint them.
  5. The above is only necessary if after flashing to the latest firmware your network/router is not responding as you wish.
    1. And, you have searched and done your due diligence by applying and testing any fixes that search turned up (and the issues are still unresolved).
Here is the order of script installs (note that you do not install them all). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/order-of-installing-popular-scripts.61854/#post-551865

Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, disk checker, on Ext4 w/J + 2GB swap file is what I find indispensable on my router/network.

HTH. :)

A factory reset is only required if you are experiencing issues after installing the new firmware.

1. Either
2. If you reload your previous settings that mostly defeats the purpose of doing the factory reset.
3. Any software installed on a USB device will still be there. However if you also reformatted the jffs partition (factory reset with "initialise") you will loose any custom scripts and configs stored there.

Thank you very much for your help!

You've answered everything I asked to the point I can't even think of any further questions to ask.

Cheers