What's new

Revert RT-AC86U to Asus Firmware - not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TerryCustard

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an AC86U running 386.11 to which I'm trying to add a AX53U as Mesh Node. It won't connect to the 53U as a node in either the iOS app or in the web interface. Having read around this forum, one solution is to downgrade to stock firmware, connect the node and then reflash merlin firmware.

However, when I try and flash the stock firmware I get an error - failed. This is using the most recent release, the second most recent release and then I scrolled back to 2020 and picked a release from there and I still get the same issue.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions about how I might get round this and either successfully flash the stock firmware, or some other magic for connecting the AX53U as a node? I've tried connecting them by a cable but still no joy

Thanks in advance

Free memory - reboot and unplug USB if you have one, Then try again...

Thanks, I've tried this. There was no USB, but rebooted. It's showing 143MB free memory, but still no joy in applying any of the downloaded firmware

Thanks, I've tried this. There was no USB, but rebooted. It's showing 143MB free memory, but still no joy in applying any of the downloaded firmware

Try factory reset first, if that doesn't work, rescue mode and firmware recovery tool

Who would do this? Human error is pretty damn common - hence thumbs up for the both of you!

OMG, I thought who would do this. Turns out - I did and was trying to flash the AC68 firmware on to the 86. The proper file has of course, worked first time...

Thank you for your help and the reminder before I started using the firmware recovery tool!

You're not the first, and you won't be the last. They make the model numbers too close to each other especially the 68 and 86.