What's new

Reverting to asus stock firmware to fault find

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

I have a ax88u and have issues with the 2.4gHz wifi led not lighting most of the time so was thinking that the stock f/w might enable it just as a process of elimination, what do you think.
Regards

Hi Guys

I have a ax88u and have issues with the 2.4gHz wifi led not lighting most of the time so was thinking that the stock f/w might enable it just as a process of elimination, what do you think.
Regards
Stock firmware and a full factory restore is always a good troubleshooting step.

Hi JagoUK rather than doing a full factory rest as I have quiet a few static ip's setup is it ok to just load the stock f/w so as to keep the existing setup. What about if and when I do a full reset I notice that the jffs partition format doesn't appear now is that normal.

I have a RT-AX86U and reverted to most recent stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45375 without a full reset and it worked just fine. I have some old Squeesebox devices that would periodically cycle off and on to my 2.4GHz band with the bandwidth set to 40MHz. Also my newer 2.4GHz devices were unable to run full speed on the RMerlin firmware. Going to this most recent stock ASUS firmware corrected both these issues. My Squeezebox devices are now solid and my newer 2.4GHz devices now speedtest at roughly 150Mbps both down and up.

Hi JagoUK rather than doing a full factory rest as I have quiet a few static ip's setup is it ok to just load the stock f/w so as to keep the existing setup. What about if and when I do a full reset I notice that the jffs partition format doesn't appear now is that normal.
Factory reset will not change static IP addresses. Note: static addresses are assigned at the client. Manual Assignment is done at the router via DHCP. There is a difference!

Hard Factory Reset after changing firmware is more than a good idea. Failing to do so will result in trouble!

Well create a backup config, try stock, if that does fix then try factory reset.
You'll still have your config to go back to.

For testing you want to be as close to out of the box as possible. So preferably nothing connected.

Factory reset will not change static IP addresses. Note: static addresses are assigned at the client. Manual Assignment is done at the router via DHCP. There is a difference!

Hard Factory Reset after changing firmware is more than a good idea. Failing to do so will result in trouble!
Hi bbunge I have the static ip's manually assigned in the lan - dhcp server list section which means I'll have to do them all again after a full factory reset.

Well create a backup config, try stock, if that does fix then try factory reset.
You'll still have your config to go back to.

For testing you want to be as close to out of the box as possible. So preferably nothing connected.
Hi JagoUK ok I'll try that but if I revert back to the config backup will it just fill in the static ip's in the dhcp list or will it also replace the possible fault as well. I'm not sure how deep the config backup restores the settings.

A full reset and manual reconfiguration is a necessary step *regardless* of whether or not you are changing firmware versions. It is the only way to ensure a "clean" platform to verify if whatever fault you are trying to clear is firmware, memory or configuration related.

Loading a saved configuration file negates the test.

Obviously the choice is yours. If changing the firmware without a reset fixes your issue, then great. If the problem persists, you won't know of it is related or not until after a full reset.

A full reset and manual reconfiguration (without any firmware change) is the solution to many inconsistencies particularly if you are experiencing something that is not generally an issues for others with the same hardware. It should always be the first thing you try.

It is even more important when trying to resolve an issue between firmware versions as the way variables and settings stored changes and the potential for something going wrong increases.

Hi dosborne did stock f/w change but the wifi led wasn't fixed so did a full reset using the wps button set it all up again issue still persists, not only that but the ssid's don't show up at all on my iphone wifi searches now just all the local ones.

Well something worked as after another hard reset and reconfigure both the wifi led's came on, then I reloaded the backup settings file to save all the manual assigned dhcp list static ip's and settings etc and it's now fine. What caused the led issue I really don't know I also relaoded the merlin f/w and all's still good so fingers crossed it will stay good. I was tempted to reboot it now it's fully reconfigured to see if it stays good but thought I'd leave it for another time. Thanks all for all your help and advice much appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!