What's new

[Review] Asus RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jayce Ooi

Regular Contributor
Author's Note: The original review can be found at my blog - Asus RT-AX86U Review @ JayceOoi.com.

Yeah, the legendary Asus RT-AC86U successor is here at last! Meet AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router – RT-AX86U. It is powered by 1.8 GHz quad-core processor. Loaded with Mobile Game Mode for a lag-free, low-latency mobile gaming experience and NVIDIA Geforce Now support. True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds thanks to aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port and WiFi 6. Don’t forget the 4 Gigabits LAN with 1 dedicated Gaming Port and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Lifetime free Asus AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, with WPA3 and advanced Parental Controls. 4 X 4 wireless connection with 160 MHz channels. Having 256MB Flash and 1GB of RAM. Alright, let’s have a closer look…

It have two port USB3.2 Gen1, you'll run tests with the SSD drive via AX200 or 1Gb LAN? (Smb/Ftp & e.t.c)

thank you for adding subtitles and 4K- nice clean and clear video. I forgot what things looked like before Merlin, it has been that long - was there anything you missed (like nice to have) between Merlin and stock Asus ? You did not show any negatives about this router, so what is your opinion on price or value for those wanting to upgrade or anything you didn't like.

Author's Note: The original review can be found at my blog - Asus RT-AX86U Review @ JayceOoi.com.

Yeah, the legendary Asus RT-AC86U successor is here at last! Meet AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router – RT-AX86U. It is powered by 1.8 GHz quad-core processor. Loaded with Mobile Game Mode for a lag-free, low-latency mobile gaming experience and NVIDIA Geforce Now support. True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds thanks to aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port and WiFi 6. Don’t forget the 4 Gigabits LAN with 1 dedicated Gaming Port and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Lifetime free Asus AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, with WPA3 and advanced Parental Controls. 4 X 4 wireless connection with 160 MHz channels. Having 256MB Flash and 1GB of RAM. Alright, let’s have a closer look…

I'm puzzled because your picture shows the aerials bent at an angle and yet the ones on mine seem to be fixed in an upright position (the position that ASUS say is the correct orientation).

The general recommendation is to keep them all straight if covering a single floor, or bend some of them at 45 degrees if covering multiple floors.

Did you find yours also running pretty warm from the top vents even on low loads? Either the heatsink is doing its job or this thing just runs much warmer then my AX88U

The general recommendation is to keep them all straight if covering a single floor, or bend some of them at 45 degrees if covering multiple floors.
The aerials supplied with mine don't bend (or at least, I can't find any way to bend them).

Did you find yours also running pretty warm from the top vents even on low loads? Either the heatsink is doing its job or this thing just runs much warmer then my AX88U
Mine seems to be about the same as the RT-AX88U I had before. I'll rest a mercury thermometer on the top grill for a minute and see what temperature I get.

Just checked. I'm geting about 35 degrees C when resting the mercury bulb by the ASUS sign on the top grill. The ambient room temperature is 22 degrees and the router is currently running the devices in the screenshot, the main demand at this time being my daughter's laptop (youtube videos) and mobile phone, + the security cameras.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 27_08_2020 , 19_03_54.jpg
    Screenshot - 27_08_2020 , 19_03_54.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
any issues with this bad boy as far as connectivity is concerned...ie devices dropping etc?

Yes, they can bend
I thought mine didn't, but I've just removed one and can bend it if I apply quite a bit of pressure (much more than with the other ASUS aerials I have used). I don't think I would risk doing this with the aerials atttached to the router though.

The aerials supplied with mine don't bend (or at least, I can't find any way to bend them).
Well, they for sure bend but only in one direction, don't break them :)
I just bend the 2 outside ones to 45 degrees for multi level coverage....
Annotation 2020-08-27 123423.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!