What's new

Right time for an upgrade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I currently have a 400mbps optical fiber internet access, 7 Wifi devices and 1 wired PC
I sometimes upload big files
Thanks to @john9527 Merlin-LTS I could keep it quite current until now

Tell us more about it. Is the ISP line 400Mbps down/up or asymmetrical? What devices are the 7x Wi-Fi clients? How many users do you have in your household? Just the fact you are still using RT-N66U and you have skipped an entire Wi-Fi generation tells me your Internet use requirements are very low. How big are the files and how often do you need to upload them? Do you really need Asuswrt-Merlin on this router? Because even a cheap RT-AX55 will be a huge upgrade for you.

Just like you're 'making due' with your current RT-N66U, almost any of the suggested models you buy today can be used for the next decade. The question isn't if they will last or not, it is a question of what your needs and demands from your network will be so far down the line.
Ok got it, so maybe not that catastrophic build quality-wise. I understand it's more about whats's needed in my environment so as @Tech9 demands I'll get into details.

The connection is 400Mbps symmetric.

The 3 most demanding wifi devices are phone, tablet, and laptop. My kid (2 users typically, my kid and myself) uses a Nintendo Switch too, but through wired connection most of the time. The rest is less demanding : printer, Sonos speaker, PS4.

I forgot to mention that a Synology NAS is plugged in the router. It's still fitted with HDDs though so more than 1Gb Ethernet LAN seems overkill to me.
My NAS daily uploads backups to a Backblaze server (not much for daily uploads). That's where the big uploads can happen as I sometimes my wired desktop PC's backup disk images (about 1 Tb typically).
I am a musician so 100+ Gb soundbanks downloads happen also, I would say one a week on average.

Do I really need Merlin? Feature-wise not really, but it saved me from problematic official firmware updates in the past with the Dark Night, so I would rather have this option if possible.

EDIT : forgot a Nvidia Shield also.

You'll be fine even with RT-AC66U B1 router. AC to common 2-stream device can do 400Mbps on Wi-Fi. Your ISP line is perfect. Save your money.

This one has Asuswrt-Merlin support and the hardware is based on popular RT-AC68U model. Cheap and reliable. Will keep you going for years.

If that Synology NAS is using more than 2 drives bigger than 4TB each, it can easily saturate a 1GbE connection.

Sounds to me like you need a new router today. I don't enjoy waiting for anything a computer (or network) needs to do for me. :)

And as each day goes by, your need for a more potent solution only increases.

If your budget allows, a new router is appropriate. The money sitting in your pocket isn't helping anything.

@TurboTruite

So, since it appears you're on the 10-year plan for updates longevity seems to be a key item of contention for spending.

I would go more modular than buying a simple AIO setup. A wired router capable of being upgraded from say 1GE to 2.5/5/10GE might be a good idea as your needs grow over time. There's no need to bundle WIFI into the device just for the sake of buying into the consumerism that is Asus, Netgear, etc.

Wired only options -
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in - offers a 2.5GE port + optional SFP+
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm - no 2.5 but has SFP+ port
https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-edgemax-routers/products/edgerouter-10x - 10 ports

Something a bit more pre-packaged w/ WIFI
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-Gaming-Routers/RT-AX89X/techspec/ - offers 10GE in 2 forms + multigig

Taking the wired only approach means you don't have to replace ALL of your networking if something fails or you need something different for either wired or wireless clients. Going with something that has the ability to go beyond 1GE speeds will prevent needing to replace it when your ISP decides to push everyone over 1GE speeds. If you go wired only you can swap the WIFI component independently as needed when using an AP. For WIFI6 you could used the one I mentioned or any other option that fits your budget. When you decide more bandwidth is needed swapping the AP for a 6E version would be the only change needed instead of disrupting everything else in the network. If you decided to upgrade the NIC on the NAS to something more substantial for quicker backups / retrievals you could at less of an expense or considerations of the the rest of the network.

While this modular approach may cost a bit more now it will save more over the long term. The router portion will last a decade whereas the wireless can be updated as new options come along.

You'll be fine even with RT-AC66U B1 router.
Thanks for your recommendation. This one does not seem that easy to find though.
I read the thread about RT-AX68U thank you - quite concerning. Would there be another alternative in the same price range?

If that Synology NAS is using more than 2 drives bigger than 4TB each, it can easily saturate a 1GbE connection.

Sounds to me like you need a new router today. I don't enjoy waiting for anything a computer (or network) needs to do for me. :)
Thanks for your feedback. 2x4TB + 2x8TB in the NAS... I guess I could buy a PCIe 2,5Gb Ethernet card for the desktop and use link aggregation for the NAS, but I would need a router with 2,5Gb Lan ethernet then...
AFAIK not even the RT-AX86U has one right? That would get me to GT-AX6000 territory.

If I don't go the 2,5Gb route, would you agree with @Tech9 that a lower cost model would be sufficient in my use case?

Last edited:
Would there be another alternative in the same price range?

What country do you live in? Do you live in a house or in an apartment?

Keep in mind "recommended routers" in North America may not work exactly the same way in your country due to different local regulations.

I would go more modular than buying a simple AIO setup.

Sorry, but this is total nonsense for 2 people with few devices.

I would go more modular than buying a simple AIO setup. A wired router capable of being upgraded from say 1GE to 2.5/5/10GE might be a good idea as your needs grow over time. There's no need to bundle WIFI into the device just for the sake of buying into the consumerism that is Asus, Netgear, etc.
Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I was interested in that path originally - I was ready to stomach the rather daunting (for me) Mikrotik OS even as I wanted to learn a bit more about networking, and was interested in the possibility of getting rid of my ISP's modem. I was especially interested in the 2 Mikrotik models you are mentioning.
But for some reason I cannot find anything Mikrotik above RB3011UiAS-RM at reputable stores right now. Same for Ubiquiti... And no info about restocks. Wonder what happened here. But that's the reason I decided to go back to good old ASUS&Co.

EDIT: I see Mikrotik is currently providing a lot of support to Ukraine so maybe that explains scarce availability.

What country do you live in? Do you live in a house or in an apartment?
France, in a house.

Last edited:
@TurboTruite

That leaves the QNAP and Asus then for potential replacements.
Something a bit more pre-packaged w/ WIFI
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-Gaming-Routers/RT-AX89X/techspec/ - offers 10GE in 2 forms + multigig
There are other options though for splitting Ethernet & WIFI from each other. Most of the OS differences aren't that difficult to navigate vs running your own OS like Linux where it takes a bit more to get things done.

Here's another to consider - https://eero.com/shop/eero-pro-6e - single pack @ $299 but, also the latest 6E and cheaper than a standalone AP w/ 6E Expandable with additional units if needed

Thanks for your feedback. 2x4TB + 2x8TB in the NAS... I guess I could buy a PCIe 2,5Gb Ethernet card for the desktop and use link aggregation for the NAS, but I would need a router with 2,5Gb Lan ethernet then...
AFAIK not even the RT-AX86U has one right? That would get me to GT-AX6000 territory.

If I don't got the 2,5Gb route, would you agree with @Tech9 that a lower cost model would be sufficient in my use case?

Using LAG won't speed up single clients. It will make a difference with more than one client used concurrently, in total. And yes, the RT-AX86U does have a 2.5GbE LAN/WAN port.

Upgrade the NAS to a model with native 2.5GbE ports, add a 2.5GbE switch and use the RT-AX86U to make full use of your LAN, as long as your ISP speeds are 1Gbps and lower (and even then, search for the threads where 2.5GbE USB adapters are used to get both WAN and LAN at 2.5GbE speeds.

I really believe your use case will make great use of the RT-AX68U or the (better) RT-AX86U.

Recommending an AC class router today (with a design from 9 years ago) is not a smart move, even for a network less taxed than yours.

It would have been a great upgrade 5+ years ago. Today, it will still give you less than optimal performance from the ISP and client devices you have now.

France, in a house.

Anything you upgrade to will be better than RT-N66U, from 80€ for RT-AX55 on Amazon France. From this point on it's up to you how much money you want to throw in it and what you can use from the eventual extra features you get. As you can see, most folks around will recommend you their own personal preferences - most of the time very far from your actual needs.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08F74YX99/

Last edited:
@Tech Junky I checked with my local provider this morning and it seems restocks for wired semi-pro routers are unlikely before mid summer (and even then they are not sure granted the tensions on the market). If I go modular I would rather go with Ubiquiti or Mikrotik because I see a lot of info about these brands online and I would need to learn a lot, so I think I will put this solution on hold for now.

Using LAG won't speed up single clients. It will make a difference with more than one client used concurrently, in total. And yes, the RT-AX86U does have a 2.5GbE LAN/WAN port.

Upgrade the NAS to a model with native 2.5GbE ports, add a 2.5GbE switch and use the RT-AX86U to make full use of your LAN, as long as your ISP speeds are 1Gbps and lower (and even then, search for the threads where 2.5GbE USB adapters are used to get both WAN and LAN at 2.5GbE speeds.
Thank you for helping me clear things up.
My NAS is EOL too so I could upgrade it to a 2.5GbE model (just need Synology to release one of these).
As @Tech9 articulated, I have very little actual need for a WAN bandwidth increase. Increasing LAN speed would be comfortable, but not mandatory (the most intensive task being my daily system drive backup and it's only a full backup once a month). I have to think about this a little more.

Anything you upgrade to will be better than RT-N66U, from 80€ for RT-AX55 on Amazon France. From this point on it's up to you how much money you want to throw in it and what you can use from the eventual extra features you get. As you can see, most folks around will recommend you their own personal preferences - most of the time very far from your actual needs.
Thank you for taking the time to check for an alternative!

I can indeed see that everyone has pushed his vision and that is really cool! It allowed me to envision the whole scope of the possible options, and to take a few steps back.

So a sincere "thank you" to all the participants in that thread. I now feel like I have all I need to make an informed decision. This is a godsend for someone who asks himself what to buy once every 10 years :).