What's new

ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

An entry-level NAS + an RT-AC68U is probably no more expensive than a GT-AC5300, and will give you better performance all around...
was looking at gt-5300 cause i was going to give my 88u to my relatives once i got them a vdsl2 modem. Plus everthing here in aus is expsive as hell, plus we dont have much choise in hardware. Entry level nas here is close to the same cost of an 88u $400+ and im sure that even before the cost of drives, so what ever the device costs in the usa or canida double the price and import tax And gst which is a goods and services tax, then you see what i mean, though sadly the 68u doenst have trend and adptive qos.

Last edited:
was looking at gt-5300 cause i was going to give my 88u to my relatives once i got them a vdsl2 modem. Plus everthing here in aus is expsive as hell, plus we dont have much choise in hardware. Entry level nas here is close to the same cost of an 88u $400+ and im sure that even before the cost of drives, so what ever the device costs in the usa or canida double the price and import tax And gst which is a goods and services tax, then you see what i mean, though sadly the 68u doenst have trend and adptive qos.

Regardless of whether you use a router or a NAS, you still need to buy one HDD.

A WD My Cloud can be found in single-drive configuration, and costs half the price of an RT-AC88U.

That GT-AC5300 will also be "expensive as Hell" to you, so if we're talking relative prices, the NAS will still be less expensive, especially if you already have an RT-AC88U. For less than 200$ USD, you get a NAS, instead of, what, 600-700$ AUS for the GT-AC5300?

You don't need an expensive QNAP/Synology to get something better than a USB-attached HDD. Look at single drive entry-level products from WD - it will already be a much better solution.

If so, I will give it a test.

Test what? My firmware definitely does not support it. Don't even try - the CPU architecture isn't even the same.

You don't need an expensive QNAP/Synology to get something better than a USB-attached HDD. Look at single drive entry-level products from WD - it will already be a much better solution.

Depends on use cases and applications that one might want to run...

That being said - the entry level WD things are generally better than any attached USB storage on the router itself.

QNAP and Synology are common NAS vendors here on SNB, but also consider AsusStor and Thecus - all good brands, but there is a cost, so one has to look at "need/want" to see if the cost/value situation works.

Test what? My firmware definitely does not support it. Don't even try - the CPU architecture isn't even the same.

It's more the rest of the firmware - the newer cores can run older code, that much is true, but at a low level, bringing up a BSP on a new chipset - not worth the effort...

The GT is on a much newer platform from Broadcom to support the new SoC.

To put it into lay terms - the house might look the same, but the foundation is very different.

I believe this is for who needs more and don't care spending

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I have really enjoyed having my WD My Cloud drive. It attaches to the router with a network cable instead of usb. It even has a phone app to make easy backups of pictures and files when you are home and connected to wifi. Plus you can access your files with the app when you are away from home. I hope this helps a little.

I was debating between the GT and the regular AC5300 and the lack of merlin and hhgomes, I wouldn't touch the GT primarily as I need the functionality that merlin supports such as VPN's on affinity and JIFFS enablement. Not to mention the TX range increase

Was going to give my RT-AC 5300 to my family and buy myself the better gamer one until I saw this thread
Until Merlin supports it I will not be buying it! So +1 for support here too!
Maybe if we all donate a little to Merlin's donation page he will change his mind about supporting it! I'd be down to throw some money his way for support for this

I'd love to have one my self, but Merlin stated that there are to many unique features also there's a lot of closed source stuff. Though if support ever happens in the distant future I'll buy one when that. Day comes I think the only way it would happen was if Merlin had a team of people helping him making the work easier as in a Merlin squad with him as leader.

Was going to give my RT-AC 5300 to my family and buy myself the better gamer one until I saw this thread
Until Merlin supports it I will not be buying it! So +1 for support here too!
Maybe if we all donate a little to Merlin's donation page he will change his mind about supporting it! I'd be down to throw some money his way for support for this

I was in an exact same situation. For me its the combination of Merlin and Hugo that makes a perfect solution. Because of my success and the lack of stability with dd-wrt, my friend requested me to bring my AC 5300 to test out his network. As he saw the range and the stability, he requested if he could pay me and I can buy myself a new one. Either ways mine was a month old at the most. I then went back to the drawing board to buy the RG Version only to realize that it is not supported by Merlin. Let alone Hugo. I also live in a place where there are no product returns. I've since repurchased the AC 5300 and couldn't be happier. The router just works perfectly with no issues with VPN and my VPN Provider. At one time I had even tested dual VPNs which worked well but I don't need that.

Also this router is perfect for my needs. My Internet Connection is capped at 50 mbps and even if I upgrade, it will go up max to 100 mbps. This Router I believe can hit about 200 mbps with a VPN so I'm covered. Currently I'm hitting at about 40 mbps on a 50 mbps connection with VPN with speedtests to NYC with an NYC Server. If I disconnect VPN and test with the same NYC server, I range slower at about 30 mbps accompanied with all the limitations of the ISP

+1 for WD MyCloud

100MB/s reads
60MB/s writes

I don't know how they squeezed so much out of that tiny processor. It literally saturates the entire network link.

I bought 4TB $250 way back, but now you can get it less than $100.

(My current 8TB USB archive drives gets 23MB/s or less write throughput for reference)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!