What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Apalling WiFi speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anarcho_1995

New Around Here
Hey guys, I am absolutely drained from trying to tweak this router(ROG Rapture GT-AX11000) for weeks to optimize my Wifi connection at home.
I have 2 x 1Gbps plans from the same ISP. One for work, and one for general use around the house.

When I am directly infront of the router I get between 180Mbps-250Mbps speeds on my 5Ghz wifi (iPhone 11).
Things I've tried.
  • Using another AP (Gaming PC with AX antenna). Get around the same speeds as well.
  • Setting Wifi 5GHz to AX-only mode.
  • Hard resetting the router.
  • Swapping LAN cables from Modem to Router.
  • Updated official firmware
  • Use Merlin firmware
  • Changing channel region
  • Turning QoS on/off
  • Changing WAN port to the 2.5G one

Here's the catch though, during certain points during the day, i DO get good wifi speeds at around 700-800mbps. For like 10minutes, and then it goes back down to 180-250mbps. I was just wondering if anyone else is facing the same issue here and if anyone knows if I've set anything wrong below:
1671585079280.png

1671585100317.png

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forums @anarcho_1995.

Seems like you have an airport or weather station nearby.

Change your wireless mode to Auto (this will always give the best performance, given the client devices connected to it).

Disable Universal Beamforming. Uncheck the box that says 'Including DFS Channels', reboot the router, and test again after 10 minutes or so.

What does 'changing channel region' mean? 'Australia'? Be sure you use the region you're actually in (you may face heavy fines for not doing so).

If you're testing each Control Channel manually (as I would suggest you do, for maximum network performance), then be sure you're not also using a (useless) wifi 'app' during your testing (using the app degrades the performance of that network and can negatively affect your results and conclusions. Not to mention that they just show 'numbers', but nothing important - like actual WiFi channel utilization, or, other sources of WiFi interference).

Have you tried a non-Apple Wi-Fi 6 device or an Apple Wi-Fi 5 device? Apple Wi-Fi 6 devices sometimes throttle speeds - not sure why.

Welcome to the forums @anarcho_1995.

Seems like you have an airport or weather station nearby.

Change your wireless mode to Auto (this will always give the best performance, given the client devices connected to it).

Disable Universal Beamforming. Uncheck the box that says 'Including DFS Channels', reboot the router, and test again after 10 minutes or so.

What does 'changing channel region' mean? 'Australia'? Be sure you use the region you're actually in (you may face heavy fines for not doing so).

If you're testing each Control Channel manually (as I would suggest you do, for maximum network performance), then be sure you're not also using a (useless) wifi 'app' during your testing (using the app degrades the performance of that network and can negatively affect your results and conclusions. Not to mention that they just show 'numbers', but nothing important - like actual WiFi channel utilization, or, other sources of WiFi interference).
Thanks I've tried your settings, I'll update with the results.
It was fine for 2hours earlier on 700-800mbps. Now I'm back to 200mbps-300mbps. So I just changed it.

If this works Im thinking of doing DUAL-WAN in load balancing mode. Lets hope it does.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!