What's new

Roll back router to a previous working state without the need to start fresh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M

MvW

How can I roll back my routers' setup to previous working state, as if nothing happened in the meantime? For example, I am quite satisfied with my current setup, but there's always the urge to take it a step further and try other things. So much goodies to play with.

I take regular backups of nvram (using nsrum), settings.cfg and jffs. What I don't know for sure is whether that's sufficient to bring my router back to a working state prior to experimenting with something new. Should I for instance backup my USB too? Are there other things to backup? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere that doesn't explain how to start from scratch, but how to properly backup and restore my current setup, without the risk of having to start all over? Starting completely fresh is already a PITA (IMHO) and having memory issues makes it even a bigger challenge, as I'm constantly doubting (and thus having to keep track of) the progress I made in building my setup back to what it was before I wrecked it.

Your advice is appreciated.

Best regards,
Marco

What I do (I don't know if it is correct) is (Under Administration-Restore/Save/Upload Setting tab):

Router Settings - Save setting - Save setting button (this will create a file)

JFFS Partition - Backup JFFS partition - Save button (this will create a file)

I save these two files in a subfolder of a subfolder with Firmware Version and subfolder with date backup performed (if I perform more than 1 that day then add an "_A" "_B" to folder name) i.e

386.2_beta2 (folder)
(copy of Merlin firmware version 386.2_beta2)
-03_29_2021 (subfolder)
(the 2 files)
-03_29_2021_A (subfolder)
(the 2 files)
-03_30_2021 (subfolder)
(the 2 files)

On restore, make sure the Firmware version you saved the data under is same your restoring:
Under Administration-Restore/Save/Upload Setting tab

1) Do a Factory Default restore
2) Do a Router Settings Upload (using saved file)
3) Do a JFFS Partition Restore Upload (using saved file)

Note: From the image, you can see that I did something stupid and did not take a backup of Beta2 and upgraded to Beta3 a few hours ago (and I'm having an issue--so if I need to fall back, I will need to fallback to beta1, then upgrade to Beta2).

Q-Dir_qrYPIDCVXw.png

Last edited:
That's about the same way I make my backups. I'm just wondering, if I really screw something up, is this really all I need to get things up and running again quickly?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!